Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 7:02:03 PM EDT
Two nights ago my friend was arrested for a PI, while i was with him.  We were waiting on our ride to come pick us up, just standing on the sidewalk.  They didn't even give him a sobriety test.  Do you guys think thats enough to fight the ticket?  Seems to me if he didnt get a sobriety test or blow, then how can they get him for  a PI.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, was he acting intoxicated?  Was he drinking or does he act stupid?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
No we werent being loud or obnoxious.  We were minding our own business and trying to be responsible by calling and getting a ride.  Thats what amazes me.  The rest of the story though is the cop originally comes up to us saying that he heard us say we were going to run a  bike cop over and he was gonna arrest us for assault on a police officer.  We told him he must have the wrong guys.  Since he couldnt trick us into admitting to something we didnt do, thats why he got so mad i think.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
How were you guys going to "Run over a bike cop" when you were standing there waiting for someone to pick you up?  If it happened like you said then fight it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Fight it.
The cop was being a dickhead.
He knows this charge won't stand, and he probably won't even show up for court to be embarresed about his stupid citation.
But, if you don't fight it, HEY - it worked!

If the cop does not show - it will get dismissed.
If the cop does show - charges will likely be dropped.

Push this all the way. They don't have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The law in Texas reads - A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.  

Were you in a public place?  Were you intoxicated?  To that ?, there is NO “test” required by the officer, just his opinion.  This opinion will be based on his observation of you at the time of arrest.  Did you have red eyes, slurred speech, unsteady on your feet and/or alcohol on your breath, this will all be in his report.  In my city’s court I have never heard of a person win a PI case.  But if you feel it was a bad arrest, then go for it.  Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]

he probably won't even show up for court to be embarresed about his stupid citation.
If the cop does not show - it will get dismissed.
If the cop does show - charges will likely be dropped.

In my city if the officer does not show up for court he will be given days off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If he just pleads guilty and pays the ticket, a misdemeanor offense on his record shouldnt be a big issue right?  Or is Deferred Adjudication really worth the trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top