User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 3:01:16 AM EDT
Heading out there in about 3hrs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Heading out there in about 3hrs.

Wild horses couldn't drag me close to that bunch of crazed ijit drivers that are all circling like vultures for a parking spot. all yakking on cell phones and careening around with their Suburbans.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF is an IKEA?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF is an IKEA?

huge store that just opened in the frisco area..

www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/

seems to have a cult following...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is an IKEA?

huge store that just opened in the frisco area..

www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/

seems to have a cult following...

do they sell guns?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife wanted to go Wednesday.  I thought the circling news chopper was a bad indication until I got close to the store.  There was no place to park at any of the usual places except the mall.  They filled up the lots of Dr. Pepper stadium, the convention center, part of the mall, all the little side lots, and even all of the vacant pad sites around the mall that had been fenced off for parking.

I don't even want to go near Warren and the tollway at this point unless I have to.  We've decided to wait until next month at the earliest to even make an attempt to get there.  We had Ikea in Houston forever, and while I like some of their stuff (my computer desk came from there and it's awesome), I don't see why so many damn people are coming to Frisco just to get into that place full of decently made particle board funriture.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Why can't they all stay home and order out of the freakin' catalog?

*Gears up to go to Houston IKEA*

At least that way they'll stay outta my damned path.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
 The Frisco Ikea is huge, at least on the outside, compared to the other Ikeas I have been to.  I think the closest in size is either Munich-Brunnthal or Burlington, ON.

My wife and I plan to go either the first or second weekend of Sept.  Hopefull things will have calmed down by then.  Or, we could all go when the next Frisco gun show happens and drop off our better halves at the Ikea and meet up with them after we're done with the show.

mm
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When I lived in CA, I went to Ikea a lot. Matter of fact my entire bedroom set is from Ikea. Man I miss that place. Now that I moved out of Dallas, they open one.

It was planned that way.

mm
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Ikea is crap furniture for yuppies?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought a new desk chair for my office there today, and will buy a new office set there this week.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's exactly what it is.  Cheap imported psuedo-designer crap for people that want to be able to say that they "got it from Ikea" instead of giving their money to a quality American company.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly what it is.  Cheap imported psuedo-designer crap for people that want to be able to say that they "got it from Ikea" instead of giving their money to a quality American company.

Cheap: yes.
Imported yuppy designer crap: yes
Comparable to Thomasville, Havertys, Bassett: No

Fills a need and looks 100% nicer than what wally world or Targe` offers :  YES.

I would love nothing more than to roll up to Thomasville furniture, drop 2K on a Tombolo coffee table and 2 end tables. Right now not a lot of folks can OR want to run up a credit debt.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]

How many quality 'Merican companies actually make their furniture here in the US?  Do you give your money to a quality 'Merican company like Wal-Mart that makes everything overseas?  I buy some furniture from Ikea, but most furniture that I buy for the house is 60+ years old, and it will be around long after I am gone.  Even the American made stuff is nothing but particle board and glue if it was made in the last 20 years.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheap: yes.
Imported yuppy designer crap: yes
Comparable to Thomasville, Havertys, Bassett: No

Fills a need and looks 100% nicer than what wally world or Targe` offers :  YES.

I would love nothing more than to roll up to Thomasville furniture, drop 2K on a Tombolo coffee table and 2 end tables. Right now not a lot of folks can OR want to run up a credit debt.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's mostly geared towards them, but some of it is pretty good for the money.  My computer desk cost me $200 and houses 4 whole computers and monitors.  I'm planning on picking up another one for the computer I record music with and all my music gear.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#18]
When I lived in Houston, they made a similar big deal about their store there opening up. About the same time, they also ran some pro-homosexual lifestyle ads, e.g. two guys shopping for furniture together, etc. As I remember it, they didn't shrink away at all from the fact that that's what they were doing. Their decision, and that's fine.

I'm not any type of gay basher, or homophobe, but I can decide where I want to buy my furniture, and it's not IKEA.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WERD
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top