Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 12:39:36 PM EDT
Top 'o the mornin' to ya!

Or should I say, "Howdy!"?

Anyway, there seems to be a good chance that I may be taking up residence in Laredo soon. It all depends on whether I get a decent offer. I think I will.

So, what can anyone tell me about the place? Specifically, what can you tell me about the following:

1) Cost of living (especially as compared to Miami)
2) Temperature and humidity ranges, and are their actually FOUR seasons?
3) Availablity of decent gun stores and/or places to shoot
4) Real estate: generaly nice or not?
5) Sections of town to look at or avoid
6) General topagraphy of the area
7) Availability of malls, etc.

Thanks!

Oh! How do I apply for my cowboy hat and spurs?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anyway, there seems to be a good chance that I may be taking up residence in Laredo soon. It all depends on whether I get a decent offer. I think I will.

So, what can anyone tell me about the place? Specifically, what can you tell me about the following:

1) Cost of living (especially as compared to Miami) cheaper
2) Temperature and humidity ranges, and are their actually FOUR seasons? no, only hot and hotter, then when it rains, it really really rains!
3) Availablity of decent gun stores and/or places to shoot only 2 dealers that I could find, plus wally world
4) Real estate: generaly nice or not? it's a typical border town.  kinda like little havana in miami along 95
5) Sections of town to look at or avoid again, typical border town, so crime can occure anywhere
6) General topagraphy of the area fuckin beautiful!! lots of rolling hills and mesquite, desert but not barren, maybe arid?
7) Availability of malls, etc. crappy one down by the bridge, I-35 has all the shopping you want, nice mall, name brand stores...

Thanks!

not required, just show up.  that's what I did!

If I can ask, what line of work are you in?  I spend alot of time down there, and have some understanding of the local economy, namely there isn't gonna be one much longer with NAFTA.

There are an anticipated 100,000 jobs gonna be lost down there due to the Mexican trucks being able to go Norte.

Detail please, inquiring minds want to know!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh........ ANYONE?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Laredo....  I'm about 3 hours S. East of there.

There are only two seasons, summer and spring.  It only stays cold for a few weeks while a cold front comes through.  

Cost of living isn't too bad - 100 to 175k for a 1600 to 2500 sq ft house in a decent  neighborhood.  The older part of Laredo is going to be south, on the Rio Grande River, with new construction on the north end of town.

San Antonio is about 3 hours away and will be your best bet for a large mall, gun stores and gun shows. Laredo has all the basic stores that you will find in a small-medium sized town, Best Buy/Circuit City, etc.   It seems that in this part of the state,  that most people who own guns have only 2, one for deer and a shotgun for dove.  So there aren't too many places to shoot.  All hunting in this area is done on private land, which means hunting leases (500 to 1000 per year).
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't hunt (yet), but I do enjoy shooting. I'm certain there are a few ranges someplace.

I just discovered that Academy (which I'd never heard of) will be stocking Bushmasters, and there's a store in Laredo, so I think I'm set.

As for guns hows and other "bigger" stuff, I would agree than San Antonio looks like the best bet.

Thanks for the heads-up on the real estate. Amazing how different prices are compared to the lunacy of Miami. As for the seasons, I'm not to down on the heat, but the humidity is a killer. Fortunately, it seems to average about 60% in Laredo, which is pretty comfortable all around.

I'm looking forward to it. Now if the damned employer would just get off their ass and make me a decent offer!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

1) Cost of living (especially as compared to Miami)
2) Temperature and humidity ranges, and are their actually FOUR seasons?
3) Availablity of decent gun stores and/or places to shoot
4) Real estate: generaly nice or not?
5) Sections of town to look at or avoid
6) General topagraphy of the area
7) Availability of malls, etc.

Thanks!

I'm from laredo but I'm living in mcallen right now which is about 3 hrs away.  If I were you I'd stay in miami.

1. its worse than mcallen, Ive never lived in miami but real estate is not cheap.
2. dry heat which is bearable and coldest it gets is probably 30's at night 80's during the day.
3. very few gunstores, I was unaware of academies, but other than that I can think of 2 kirkpatrick leather, and border sporting goods.  Only one range that I know of.  
4.some real nice subdivisions there, not like miami but nice.
5.stay away from santa rita, canta ranas, rio bravo, and mostly all of south laredo.
7. 2malls, 1 is decent but not very big, the other is a shithole don't even bother going.

If you have more specific questions I can always call my brother who lives there and can give me more info.  

stay away from bandidos
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
1. Compared to Miami, the real estate is pratically GIVEN away in Laredo.

2. I'm not worried about dry heat. It's better than wet heat any day.

3. Damn. Reckon I'll have to mosey over to San Antonio.

4. "Nice" subdivisions in Miami means nothing less than $500K+. Believe me, I'm sure I can move into a nice part of Laredo.

5. Gotcha. Any particular reasons why?

6. Well, most of the stores I need are there, and I'm not too big on shopping anyway. Sears, Home Depot/Lowes, Super Wal-Mart, and a decent gun store is all I need, and I'll travel for the gun store.

I recognize it's not paradise, but I'm looking for someplace quiet where I can touch nature (even if it is a scrabby desert) and find some peace. I'm not planning to retire there, so....

Now, if it's a complete shithole, then I reckon I need to know.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Its like the ghetto you can go in there but you don't know if youre coming out.  its really bad in the south, Border Patrol and local PD won't go in there unless there a dozen of them going in together, not to long a marked border patrol vehicle went into one of these neighborhhods with 2 agents and they came out in an ambulance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
There's no state income tax in Texas.
Everybody has a gun.

I can't really comment on Laredo, but if you need some info on San Antonio - I live on the eastern border of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Its like the ghetto you can go in there but you don't know if youre coming out.  its really bad in the south, Border Patrol and local PD won't go in there unless there a dozen of them going in together, not to long a marked border patrol vehicle went into one of these neighborhhods with 2 agents and they came out in an ambulance.

They were in an unmarked vehicle and wearing plain clothes when they were checking river crossing and setting up detection equiptment. They got ambushed by some banger with a SKS that was shortened and had the butt stock cut off.  It's been about a year I think.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were in an unmarked vehicle and wearing plain clothes when they were checking river crossing and setting up detection equiptment. They got ambushed by some banger with a SKS that was shortened and had the butt stock cut off.  It's been about a year I think.

thanks for the details.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yowza! DOUBLE check!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Everybody has a gun.

AMEN, brother!

I can't really comment on Laredo, but if you need some info on San Antonio - I live on the eastern border of it.

Well, if I could commute from San Antonio I'd probably prefer to live there, but since I can't....

Still, I'll be sure to look you up when I need a shooting buddy!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everybody has a gun.

AMEN, brother!

Well, if I could commute from San Antonio I'd probably prefer to live there, but since I can't....

Still, I'll be sure to look you up when I need a shooting buddy!

Sounds good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top