Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 9:58:59 PM EDT
what's a good one that allows ar-15s and is not anal about rapid fire and the such? American shooting center seems to be the only range I can find that will go rifle but they're extremely nuts about being politically correct.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the time I shoot my AR-15 at Hot Wells, but it's not too convenient unless you're in northwest Houston.  They're pretty laid back about non-safety-related things ... although I did have a R.O. tell me on the pistol range to quit double-tapping once.

$5 / gun, they've got 25-, 50- and 100-yd rifle ranges and 7- and 15-yd pistol ranges.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
any other place?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Carter's Country, between 45 and 59, north of 1960, on Treshwig. (pistol, shotgun & rifle 100-200 yds)

Check the yellow pages for a little map.

BTW, they like Hot Wells and ASC are gettin quite anal about rapid fire.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on Hot Wells.   I've been going there for about 20 years.  Great folks, I took my CHL and renewal there.

Your best bet for unrestricted rapid/bump-fire would be either the national forest range or private land.  Are you coming out to 338winmag's shoot?  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=184187
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure, there are others.  What part of town are you in?

There's a range on Garrett road just off the Beltway (Northeast side of town).

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgot about Bailey's House of Guns, south past the Beltway 8 down Alameda, it's on Bluebonnet, their also in the yellow book.

Watch out for mom, (mrs. Bailey) she can be a stickler for the rules unless she likes ya.

This would be SSW Houston.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sure, there are others.  What part of town are you in?

There's a range on Garrett road just off the Beltway (Northeast side of town).

That would be The Lake Houston Gun Club. $4 per gun, no rapid fire. Plenty of range space.
US Hwy90 East to Sheldon Rd. Left over the RxR tracks (North). Make another left (West) at the "T" (Garrett Rd). The range is down the road a little bit on the left.

Renee
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Bayou Rifles (members only range) has ranges in W and SW Houston and has no specific prohibition on rapid fire, although you have to be safe and respectful of other members.  If anyone is interested in visiting I go to the SW range (in Julif, south of Sugarland) almost weekly and would be happy to have you as a guest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bayou Rifles (members only range) has ranges in W and SW Houston and has no specific prohibition on rapid fire, although you have to be safe and respectful of other members.  If anyone is interested in visiting I go to the SW range (in Julif, south of Sugarland) almost weekly and would be happy to have you as a guest.

I'll second Bayou Rifles Inc. , worth the price of admission if you live near that part of town.

I think Pearland has a good gun club too.

Carter's Country  SUX!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
How much does Bayou Rifles cost to join. I tried to email but came up with 25 pages of nothing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think Pearland has a good gun club too.

Pearland Shooting Center (PSC).  Its members only.  Anyone been there, I'm thinking about joining.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 for PSC.  Rules can be inforced, but if you are there on a weekday, you can pretty much do as you please.

IO1
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know the open hours for the National Forest Rifle Range?  thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Does anyone know the open hours for the National Forest Rifle Range?  thanks.

-mark

It's open from September - January. I think it opens up pretty early in the morning.

Last year we tried to go when they were doing a controlled burn at the one off of Stubblefield lake rd. so we had to go to the one on the East side of the I-45. It's ok, but not kept as neatly....

Take biodegradable targets and clean up or they'll close it completely. They didn't give us grief about full auto when we were out there last year, but, I'm told they might frown upon it.  They came up while we were bumping AK's and had evil black rifles everywhere...but they said nothing.

The only issue is the fact that you have to control the range yourself, so, I'd recommend a partner whilst your there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Pearland Shooting Center (PSC). Its members only. Anyone been there, I'm thinking about joining.

I emailed them some weeks ago and never got a reply.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Alrighty..I went down there today.  

www.psc-range.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#17]
And...

From October 1, 2004 through January 2, 2005, camping is restricted to designated sites. Off-highway vehicles are not allowed in wildlife management areas, except on designated trails. In the Sam Houston National Forest, there are some areas designated as “no shooting/hunting areas” and some areas designated as “designated target shooting areas” where hunters can “sight in” their rifles. These areas will be open approximately one month prior to season opening through the end of deer gun hunting season. The remainder of the year, these areas are closed to target shooting. Targets are limited to paper and clay products and ammunition cases must be removed from the area. Fully automatic and machine guns are prohibited.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone have diections to these ranges coming from Conroe. How many ranges are there in the national forest that are"target shooting" spots?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does anyone have diections to these ranges coming from Conroe. How many ranges are there in the national forest that are"target shooting" spots?

From Conroe North on I-45 to 1374/1375. Go West at first corner 1374

You'll drive quite a ways, cross Lake Conroe. You'll come to a crossing With a sign on the left that says Stubblefield Lake and an --------------> pointing right. Turn right. Drive a ways.....the good road goes right and an undeveloped road goes straight ahead...take it...drive up and down for a while and you'll come to a road to the right with a little figure of a guy with a rifle on it...take it for a mile or two and you'll get to the range.

I have only been to the range on the East side one time. Stop at the ranger station on 1374 and they can give you directions to all the shooting areas. It's off of 150 then you really have to look to find the road.

And we shot full auto there last time, bump fired etc. Nobody gave us grief.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Coz.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#21]
HAS ANYONE BEEN TO THE SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL FOREST SHOOTING RANGE RECENTLY? I ASK THIS QUESTION BECAUSE IT IS NO LONGER LISTED IN THE APH PERMIT BOOK. NONE OF THE NATIONAL FORESTS HAVE THEM LISTED ANY MORE. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHY?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Why not call the forest service outthere?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
sfjet,

http://www.psc-range.com/psc_membership_information.html

Pick a class, show up with NRA membership card and checkbook.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#25]
perryturner, are you a PSC member?  

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
And...

Fully automatic and machine guns are prohibited.

When that happend?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

-Tyler

Are you looking for a PSC member to ask questions of?  I'm a member there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#28]
How many people are there during a weekday?

How many on the weekend?

How often do you make it out?

How do you like it?

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And...

Fully automatic and machine guns are prohibited.

When that happend?

woop..not sure, really.  A search on google on a Texas P&W site or something equililent.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

-Tyler

Yes, I've been a member there for a couple of years.  I didn't work for most of 2003, and went there pretty regular on weekdays.  Sometimes I was the only person there.  It was great.  I don't go much on weekends.

They are serious about safety, but it's not like ASC.  It's a club, not a paid range, and people are expected to act safely.  Double taps on the pistol range are common.  But I've never seen any bump firing, and don't expect to.

I haven't been there for the last four or five months.  I haven't been shooting much, and when I have, it's been where I can shoot full auto.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How many people are there during a weekday?

How many on the weekend?

How often do you make it out?

How do you like it?

-Tyler

I'll chime in too.  Weekdays, like perry said, are pretty much deserted.  Makes for a nice, relaxing experience since you are the range master and can call ceasefires whenever you want.  Weekends are pretty busy on Saturdays, but Sundays aren't too bad.

I joined since my parents live in that area and I wanted a place to shoot when I go home to visit.  I'll go a couple days in a row when I'm in the area, every couple months.  It is pretty expensive to join, but that's a good thing in disguise.  It really deters the kind of shooter that "scares" you at most ranges with poor safety and other discipline issues.  Everyone I've met out there is really cool.  They are serious about safety, but like they tell you, there's a chuch not too far off.   Range #1 (the rifle range) has a flexible firing "stance" policy too.  Bench, prone, standing, crouching, whatever--just stay on the line of fire and don't be stupid.  I'd always been forced to shoot from a bench which sucks when you're into the military-style rifles with the big mags.

As far as bump-firing and C3 stuff, I can understand why they don't want it around.  If an inexperienced person "lets loose" and doesn't understand that rapid fire walks all over the place, you'll get all kinds of rounds in air.  And you experienced people will totally kill the backboards on the target stands!

If you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend joining.  They offer some discounted CHL classes (new and renewal) as well as a couple members with FFLs that'll do transfers for reasonable fees.  If you're in the area on a competition day (check the website), stop in to check it out.  For what it's worth, they did win NRA Club of the Year couple years ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
]Yes, I've been a member there for a couple of years.  I didn't work for most of 2003, and went there pretty regular on weekdays.  Sometimes I was the only person there.  It was great.  I don't go much on weekends.

They are serious about safety, but it's not like ASC.  It's a club, not a paid range, and people are expected to act safely.  Double taps on the pistol range are common.  But I've never seen any bump firing, and don't expect to.

I haven't been there for the last four or five months.  I haven't been shooting much, and when I have, it's been where I can shoot full auto.

I am a member of PSC also.  No one cares about double taps.  
If you go on the weekdays and there wasn't anyone on the range, you could do some AIMED  rapidfire but  bump firing would tear up the graound and they'd be pissed.

Where can you shoot full auto?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Where can you shoot full auto?  

My son lives south of Dallas with access to a friend's ranch where we can blast away.  And a friend belongs to a couple of clubs that allow full auto, and he occassionally invites me along.  One is the Orange Gun Club, which has a rapid fire range about 50 yards deep.  The other is a work in progress owned by a guy named Phil.  It's west of Houston about half way between I-10 and Hempstead, near Monaville.  Has lots of steel for subgun calibers.  But very muddy after rain.  If you want more info on this place, go to http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi and post a question for Toad.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#34]
As for the Nat'l Forest range, it opened up September 30.  I was there.  

There is a sign that says it is open 9-5 on the entrance to it, but I stayed until about 7PM and nobody showed up to say anything.

Going there today, too.  

Bruce from Huntsville.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top