Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2020 5:05:58 PM EDT
Our VA guys started getting together to hike, train, shoot etc. is anyone interested in something similar here in SC.

I do the Cola Warrior gig so I try to stay fit, I hike, MTB, run, lift weights and of course shoot.

Anyone interested in getting together?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Even disabled arthritics need to get out and train.

I need formal rifle instruction.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
A few of us are taking an Appleseed course in April. You can do that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Our VA guys started getting together to hike, train, shoot etc. is anyone interested in something similar here in SC.

I do the Cola Warrior gig so I try to stay fit, I hike, MTB, run, lift weights and of course shoot.

Anyone interested in getting together?
View Quote
I went to the ‘Lobby Day’ in Richmond as well and I was thinking about posting this very same thing. So count me in.

How about it @Aamon ? Are you interested?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be interested as well.  I'm upstate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be interested as well.  I'm upstate.
View Quote
Plenty of good rucks can be done in the upstate.  I don't think we can open carry on rucks like the VA crew has been doing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Upstate here as well.  Will definately be in as time allows!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Plenty of good rucks can be done in the upstate.  I don't think we can open carry on rucks like the VA crew has been doing.
View Quote
I’m fairly certain that openly carrying long guns has always been perfectly legal in South Carolina. I doubt you can find a specific law that says you can do it because laws typically only say that you can’t do something.

However, regarding openly carrying handguns, these are the only 2 sections I could find that seem pertinent:

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Most rucks and hikes in SC would be in State Parks. They would frown on it. I think the VA guys are notifying the local LEOs before they go.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
i'm up for some hikes.  I hike at harbison state forest wearing a PC; other than some strange looks, no issue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I went to the ‘Lobby Day’ in Richmond as well and I was thinking about posting this very same thing. So count me in.

How about it @Aamon ? Are you interested?
View Quote
Great minds think alike.  The level of organization that the VBB had was inspiring.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are some sections of The Palmetto Trail in the upstate that are on public utility-owned land that forbid firearms period. Whether or not the trailheads are posted against CWP using legally-binding signs (the big ones) I have yet to see and so...
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are some sections of The Palmetto Trail in the upstate that are on public utility-owned land that forbid firearms period. Whether or not the trailheads are posted against CWP using legally-binding signs (the big ones) I have yet to see and so...
View Quote
Out in the woods alone or with my wife. Nuff said. I have a fanny pack.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m fairly certain that openly carrying long guns has always been perfectly legal in South Carolina. I doubt you can find a specific law that says you can do it because laws typically only say that you can’t do something.

However, regarding openly carrying handguns, these are the only 2 sections I could find that seem pertinent:

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our first hike should be to lake with a fishing pole. Problem solved
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm.  "OK Google.  Show me fishing rod adapters for AR bayonet lugs."  
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Upstate as well, I have spent time in and I have trained with a few organized groups...but prefer to keep my circle small.  I don't mind getting together for a ruck, some PT , or even some sharing of useful knowledge like medical, topo map/gps, and other basic survival skills...   planting, canning, foraging, water purifying, fire starting, shelter building..ect... for the sole purpose of using that knowledge for you, your family, and or your close circle.

I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Do one of you guys that went to lobby day drive a blue CRV?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i'm up for some hikes.  I hike at harbison state forest wearing a PC; other than some strange looks, no issue.
View Quote
Too bad that Harbison State Forest is a "gun-free zone".
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#19]
After going to VA rally I am in.
Upstate.

Let’s get a meeting date and if needed I can get a location.
It would have to be a later afternoon Mon-Sat or anytime Sunday
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol "gun free zone"
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I could get in on this. Upstate here as well. Weekend availability only though.

Gunwolf there is a trail head just past the range in Croft Park....
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m only available on the weekends too.
I’ll assume it doesn’t matter that I was never in the military?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m only available on the weekends too.
I’ll assume it doesn’t matter that I was never in the military?
View Quote
Zero requirement to be .mil. Just bros that get together to, hike, shoot, learn survival skills etc.

Weekends make the most sense for almost all of us.  I am a federal employee, others are in banking, and some are true retirees.

So, for the first meet up, midstate?  Ruck? Shoot?

Midstate ruck could be in my AO.  Poinsett State Park, for rookie hikers this is a good place to start.  My sammich maker and I get in 9 miles of fairly flat hikes there.

For shooting, Panteao Sportsman's club has Tactical ranges for pistol and rifle.  We can get 10 passes for $100 and shoot steel like the pros. The range goes out to 800yrds now.  Well beyond 5.56 effective range. Saturday shooting there, they kinda restrict things on Sunday because of noise.

After people get more fit, rucks in the upstate are legit.  My wife and I are headed to 9 miles at Caesars Head (rave cliff falls) this weekend if the temps stay in the 40s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I could get in on this. Upstate here as well. Weekend availability only though.

Gunwolf there is a trail head just past the range in Croft Park....
View Quote
I did not know that,  was just there yesterday , I would have checked it out...thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Zero requirement to be .mil. Just bros that get together to, hike, shoot, learn survival skills etc.

Weekends make the most sense for almost all of us.  I am a federal employee, others are in banking, and some are true retirees.

So, for the first meet up, midstate?  Ruck? Shoot?

Midstate ruck could be in my AO.  Poinsett State Park, for rookie hikers this is a good place to start.  My sammich maker and I get in 9 miles of fairly flat hikes there.

For shooting, Panteao Sportsman's club has Tactical ranges for pistol and rifle.  We can get 10 passes for $100 and shoot steel like the pros. The range goes out to 800yrds now.  Well beyond 5.56 effective range. Saturday shooting there, they kinda restrict things on Sunday because of noise.

After people get more fit, rucks in the upstate are legit.  My wife and I are headed to 9 miles at Caesars Head (rave cliff falls) this weekend if the temps stay in the 40s.  
View Quote
You are now the engine of this train.

I vote for your suggestion of a hike (not ruck) at Poinsett state park as a starting point. Maybe we can try to do one at a state park every couple months? That way some of us more motivated can hit the whole state, while allowing others to join locally; thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in this camp. Seriously doubt I'll ever be able to go more than 1 1/2 hour drive from here. But would be all up in local, if some of you other local guys wanna get together for it
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are now the engine of this train.

I vote for your suggestion of a hike (not ruck) at Poinsett state park as a starting point. Maybe we can try to do one at a state park every couple months? That way some of us more motivated can hit the whole state, while allowing others to join locally; thoughts?
View Quote
Copy all. Let’s look at dates for the first hike.

I gotta ask, what is the general fitness of this crowd? As stated 9 miles is literally a walk in the park for me and I don’t want sell that to folks who are not up to it.

Bring SO should be the standard if they want to come but these events should be strenuous enough to call it training. My SO can do any hike I can.

Shooting events should avoid bench stuff. Panteao has barricades and open ground shooting for rifles at steel. Sighting in should be done before meeting there. Pistol shooting should have methods in mind. You can draw and fire there but don’t shoot yourselves or others.

Do we have any EMTs, docs in our AO that could teach SABC (USAF acronym for basic first aid) maybe even CPR?

My biggest concern is ensuring we all understand that we are a patriotic, USA loving bunch that holds our constitution near and dear. The attitude presented by the folks in VA and the VCDL should be our attitude.

If you aren’t familiar with the constitution let me know. I can help you out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Let's see...an honest evaluation of my fitness level.
About 20-25 lbs heavier than I'd like...not overweight, just in the wrong places. Physical job so typically fairly tired after work. Back/psiatic problems. Walk with a limp, running ain't happening. Could do a 2 am hike though since I have terminal insomnia.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Fitness level on a 1-10 scale (10 being best)... i’m at a 7. I’m a lazy cubicle dweller that could use some improvement. I can hike miles at a good pace while carrying a ton, but running breaks me.
SO likes to hike, but she falls behind a lot.
I’d really like to learn EMT stuff. I barely remember CPR since i learned it 15 years ago and havent used it.
I can help a lot with basic comms and especially baofengs, but there are some SC guys who have much more Ham and other radio experience than i do.
I am familiar with the constitution. AM I BEING DETAINED!?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol "gun free zone"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol "gun free zone"
My gun identifies as a water gun. Gtg
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Low Country checking in. I'm up for some rucks on this end of the state.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I’d rank my fitness as moderate, but working to improve. I’d be down for a hike or range trip. Panteao is doable as a day trip for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Fitness level?    I'm about a 7 out of 10, not the best but far from being left behind.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm interested. I have been wanting to get back to hiking and have been looking for places to go. I was CLS and am still CPR certified. I am on the board with Project Josiah out of Columbia and know some other veterans who might also be interested (if that's ok).
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm interested. I have been wanting to get back to hiking and have been looking for places to go. I was CLS and am still CPR certified. I am on the board with Project Josiah out of Columbia and know some other veterans who might also be interested (if that's ok).
View Quote
Great!

Please read my statement above. Before anyone becomes part of this group they have understand where we stand.

Literally if a retired FBI agent would ask to participate we should be good with it. We won’t be a group that is viewed as a violent paramilitary bunch.

Think Boy Scouts for adults.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Cardio and hiking type stuff isn't my typical workout of choice,  but I could pull off 9 miles with some gear on in a pinch.

I live in aiken,  work in columbia,  and can do weekend or weekday (with some heads up).

Count me in for whatever gets organized,  I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I put a thread in GD that should push traffic here.

I will start working on a mission statement and by-laws if they don't have anything.  I feel it is important to have both, that way we can ensure everyone is marching to the same tune.

I am looking at our first event being a hike and picnic lunch at Poinsett State Park.  I will plan routes that go up to 6 miles with easy options for shorter distances.  I would like for everyone to start getting more fit now.  If you don't walk or hike, do so now in your neighborhood, gym etc.  The idea behind this program is to help make us more fit for life's challenges.

I have it in my head we will be a boy scout like group for adults who actively train and shoot firearms as a key part of the program.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I put a thread in GD that should push traffic here.

I will start working on a mission statement and by-laws if they don't have anything.  I feel it is important to have both, that way we can ensure everyone is marching to the same tune.

I am looking at our first event being a hike and picnic lunch at Poinsett State Park.  I will plan routes that go up to 6 miles with easy options for shorter distances.  I would like for everyone to start getting more fit now.  If you don't walk or hike, do so now in your neighborhood, gym etc.  The idea behind this program is to help make us more fit for life's challenges.

I have it in my head we will be a boy scout like group for adults who actively train and shoot firearms as a key part of the program.
View Quote
Can you cross link the GD thread here? I couldn’t find it. I like the Boy Scout for adults idea.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link to GD thread

I bumped the thread there. I will dig through this thread and create a roster. I will also be IMing y’all for contact information outside of ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#41]
ABB thread with more formal guidance.

This is where we are going.

That stated, I won’t be addressed using my retired rank. That isn’t cool with me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#42]

That stated, I won’t be addressed using my retired rank. That isn’t cool with me.
View Quote
Yes Sir.

Does the type of long gun matter?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes Sir.

Does the type of long gun matter?
View Quote
Nope, if you look at the ABB thread I linked to you will see that the improvement in skills brings "leveling up" so to speak.

There is some discussion there about using only HPM scores but I don't think that should be the metric.  This thing is in its infancy so there is a ton of vacillating.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I’m in, and anyone in the Charleston area!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm in the upstate as well.  I would be interested.  I haven't hiked 9 miles in a long time and definitely not in gear but I do typically hike with a 2 year old on my back or shoulders.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#46]
just a thought,  with many interested across the entire state, a lot of us probably won't make the drive 2-4 hours one way monthly... what about splitting into 3 zones (low country, mid state, and upstate)  each zone gets together as often as they wish, with maybe a bi-annual state get together?  
in the past I have participated in a few other Similar groups , I have seen many great guys come and go do to a monthly statewide get together... it's just not viable for some of us.
this is just my 2 cents, and my opinion...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#47]
NINE MILES???!!!

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I have driven twice this month to hike in the upstate.  Table Rock and Raven Cliff Falls loop.  3 hours one way for me.  Y'all can make a hike at Poinsett State Park, it is dab smack in the middle of the state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Myrtle checking in and interested in joining up.  Fitness wise I'm prob better than average and either run or mtn bike 4x week. However, I have along way to my goals.  Anyone else doing the gun run up in Ellerbe NC in April?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#50]
All

I am working on a date for our first Hike/Ruck.  It will be in April some time.  I know a couple of us are doing an Appleseed mid month so that weekend will be out.

Get in shape now, we aren't doing anything formally until April because I want the group to have time to work on fitness before our first Hike/Ruck.

The Plan:

April:

Meet-Up at Poinsett State Park (free SP and in the middle of the state).  There are MANY trail options here.  I say PSP because the trails are fairly flat so making time on them for ABB grading is very doable.  Plan on a 0900 push and doing a PRIMARY group at 6 miles.  We will hike and do a picnic lunch there so we can get to know each other.  My goal is to do one event each month and vary the location but for ABB timing PSP is our best bet.  During lunch we can have one member present a subject.  SO brush up on your public speaking skills and get to know your subject matter.  This is similar to the 4H club meeting format where one member does a short presentation.  I want to do this because as we saw in VA this month being well spoken in public is key to all interactions and presenting is way to do this.

May:

I would like for us to do a group shoot at Panteo Sportsman's club.  I will get with Fernando and Tina about it and see what they can do to help defray costs.  I do know that we can get a pass for 10 folks for $100.  More to come on this.

Who I am:

I am a retired USAF wrench and currently a federal employee, my job since my retirement from AD is as a member of the 20FW Inspector General office.  I am 54, so if I can do it you can too.

My skillsets:

I speak publicly for a living.  I plan and organize emergency preparedness drills (to include Active Threat and weather events) along with other tasks.  I am a Cola Warrior and exercise regularly.

Your tasks:

Get your shit in shape, you and your gear.  Plan on the April ruck to be an opportunity to get your levels according to the ABB.

We will also elect our SCBB representatives at the April meeting because I am not a dictator.

Everyone who wants to participate IM me with your email address.  I started mining the names from this thread but realized some may be lurking and not posting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top