Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 10:35:55 AM EDT
Hi!
I am a student from Germany and it is quite likely, that I am going to study 2 semesters at Vancouver Island University, starting from next year.
I really like shooting and hunting and have guns of my own here in Germany.
Is there any possibility I can take them with me or obtain a licence to buy guns, e.g. hunting rifles, in Canada?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely, all you need to do is apply for your PAL (firearms license) - you don't need to be a Canadian or even reside in Canada to get your Canadian license.  You can register your guns once you get your license which will mean you will be able to bring them with you - provided they are not prohibited under Canadian law.  The license will also allow you to buy guns in Canada. In terms of hunting you will need to take the hunter training course (CORE) and sit the test - I think you have to be a BC resident for at least 6 months (might be 12) before you can hunt in BC.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/

http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&Itemid=187
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the fast and precise answer!
I am really looking forward to visit North America. Here it is quite... annoying with 80% of the people completely anti-gun...

Another question: I would really love to try long range shooting, here I am limited to 300m. Are there any appropriate shooting ranges where I could do so? Is it legal to shoot at some location way off human civilization?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the fast and precise answer!
I am really looking forward to visit North America. Here it is quite... annoying with 80% of the people completely anti-gun...

Another question: I would really love to try long range shooting, here I am limited to 300m. Are there any appropriate shooting ranges where I could do so? Is it legal to shoot at some location way off human civilization?

If you find a place way off in the backcountry you can name your distance - but best go with someone who knows a good spot.  There is a 600 yds range on Vancouver Island somewhere near Nanimo.  You might want to sign up to canadiangunnutz - you'll find lots of helpful advice from Canadian shooting enthusiasts on that forum.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top