Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2021 7:13:52 PM EDT
I have a buddy who’s brother applied for the NJ handgun buyers permit(or whatever it’s called).

He passed whatever it is to get it and was insured the permit.  He bought a gun online and had it shipped to FFL and then didn’t get approved for the NICS check.

He was a little worried about it as he was charged with something when he was in high school for fighting(must have been 18 I’m assuming).  This was around 15 years ago and no instances after that one.

I was curious as to what NJ checks for on issuing a buyers permit that would issued one to him if unable to pass the NICS?

I told him to tell his brother to contact a lawyer and get straightened out whatever the problem is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's known, but it's more in depth than NICS and both go through the NJSP, so if he got the permits and FID chances are the nics denial was an error. What was the reason for denial? Have him check the 4473 and make sure all the info is correct. If all the info check out have him fill out a request form
https://njsp.org/information/pdf/NICS_Denial_Request_Form.pdf

Worse comes to worse you can contact a Firearms attorney but that's probably last resort. Most FFLS will hold the gun, for free, for 60-90 days because of  pistol permit laws and other NJ headaches while he sorts it out.

ETA: There are plenty of good attorneys if he needs but the most well known in the state is Evan Nappen out of eatontown
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn’t hear a reason for the denial, I did hear something about a letter request though.

Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the late update.  From what I heard, he was denied due to the fight he was in when he was 17, he’s probably around 34 now and I don’t think even a parking ticket has occurred from them to now.

I don’t know all the details of the “fight” but it was in high school, other kid started it and ended up for a broken eye socket.  There was also a lawsuit and payout.

Just seems weird hat he got a firearm ID card issued but denied for the handgun permit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for the late update.  From what I heard, he was denied due to the fight he was in when he was 17, he’s probably around 34 now and I don’t think even a parking ticket has occurred from them to now.

I don’t know all the details of the “fight” but it was in high school, other kid started it and ended up for a broken eye socket.  There was also a lawsuit and payout.

Just seems weird hat he got a firearm ID card issued but denied for the handgun permit.
View Quote

I'd have him lawyer up on this, he's not a prohibited person(It sounds like it was civil issue(you didn't mention a conviction)) and unless there was mental health intervention there is no reason. Other than the state makes up reasons to deny requests.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I told his brother to tell him it’s pretty much lawyer time on this.  

Is this general lawyer stuff or should it be someone that deals with firearms?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I told his brother to tell him it’s pretty much lawyer time on this.  

Is this general lawyer stuff or should it be someone that deals with firearms?
View Quote

I'd get a firearms lawyer, they deal with this all time. I think I suggested above but if not Evan Nappen is probably the most well known in the state for firearms related stuff. But any one specializing should be able to handle this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I’ll pass the info along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top