Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2020 12:38:34 PM EDT
It's been a while since I bought a firearm, and longer since I sold.
I have a BB gun I'm selling.
What's involved to stay within the law?
TIA
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
All transfers in NJ must now be carried out at an FFL, with background check, 4473, and NJ CoE filled out.  FFL will handle all paperwork for both sides.

So, find a buyer, make your deal, meet at chosen FFL, initiate transfer through said FFL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure about the 4473 and NICS check?

Never was before. Just COE was needed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure about the 4473 and NICS check?

Never was before. Just COE was needed.
View Quote

Positive.  There are no more private transfers of firearms in NJ (with the exception of between immediate family members, between LEOs, or between FFL03s).  I believe that went into effect Sept. 2019.  The bill was A2757.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Positive.  There are no more private transfers of firearms in NJ (with the exception of between immediate family members, between LEOs, or between FFL03s).  I believe that went into effect Sept. 2019.  The bill was A2757.
View Quote

Familiar with that, but a bb gun is not a firearm federally, so using a 4473 is pointless. No NICS was ever done on a bb, pellet or black powder firearm in NJ. Only a COE was filled out by the dealer. I don't believe that can be changed. Are you a dealer Tom?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I apologize...  I completely missed the fact that it was a BB gun.  I read that, but my brain went right to, "NJ considers BB guns firearms - so it's no different".  So yes, the 4473 becomes moot - but that doesn't stop NJ from requiring it:

2C:58-3b(3):
Prior to a transaction conducted pursuant to this subsection, the retail dealer shall complete a National Instant Criminal Background Check of the person acquiring an antique cannon or a rifle or shotgun. In addition:

BB guns meet the definition of "Firearm":  "It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than 3/8 of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person"

and they also meet the NJ definition of "shotgun":  "or any firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder which does not fire fixed ammunition".  A BB gun is a firearm, as defined above, and it does not fire fixed ammunition (that is, a self-contained cartridge).  I'm sure this was originally meant to cover things like Blunderbusses and the like, but it's also a catch-all for air rifles and such, too.  Much like NJ doesn't have SBRs, but a 14" barreled AR is by NJ definition a "sawed-off shotgun".

So...  regardless, a transfer has to occur at an FFL, receiver must have an FID, CoE must be filled out, and the FFL will just roll his eyes at the part of the law that requires a NICS check.

New Jersey...  obfuscating gun laws since 1966.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
absolutely fucking insane.

...........and i'm guessing a pellet pistol needs a handgun permit also?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know, drive to Pennsylvania and sell the toy there?

Fuck this state.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, I may just give it to an out of state relative and let them handle it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top