Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 8:22:35 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I'm building an M4 at the moment and I was all set to go with a smith vortex FS until I realized that (God Forbid) I can't have a FS in the POS state that NJ is.  So...any suggestions for what a good Muzzle Brake to go with is?  

Also...I'm guessing it's illegal for me to even have a FS in my house.  Am I correct in that assumption?  If I were to just go with the FS on the M4 (seeing as I have to order the upper with one on anyway) what are the odds someone would give me a problem at the range?

Also...are linear compensators considered to be flash suppressors or muzzle brakes?  Or are they just considered something else completely?  Since NJ law doesn't mention those explicitly I guess I'd be fine with it?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The devices are classified according to the ATF as to wether they are flashhiders or muzzle brakes.

FSC556 by PWS is considered a muzzle brake.

Also, you will have to have it permanently attached to be "legal".
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys.  I'm building an M4 at the moment and I was all set to go with a smith vortex FS until I realized that (God Forbid) I can't have a FS in the POS state that NJ is.  So...any suggestions for what a good Muzzle Brake to go with is?  

Also...I'm guessing it's illegal for me to even have a FS in my house.  Am I correct in that assumption?  If I were to just go with the FS on the M4 (seeing as I have to order the upper with one on anyway) what are the odds someone would give me a problem at the range?

Also...are linear compensators considered to be flash suppressors or muzzle brakes?  Or are they just considered something else completely?  Since NJ law doesn't mention those explicitly I guess I'd be fine with it?

Simply possessing the banned features wont get you into any trouble as long as you dont put them onto a complete rifle. You can have the parts and thats about it. If you want to order a pre-ban upper for an AR just make sure you do what you need to make it post ban before you put it on a lower
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I only ask about having the FS at my house because of this part of 13:54-1.2 Definitions in NJ law:

"4. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination
of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control
of the same person."

which, as defined in that section would make any AR with a FS an "assault rifle" (yuck, I can barely even type that without throwing up)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I only ask about having the FS at my house because of this part of 13:54-1.2 Definitions in NJ law:

"4. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination
of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control
of the same person."

which, as defined in that section would make any AR with a FS an "assault rifle" (yuck, I can barely even type that without throwing up)

Well, if it has a permanently attached muzzle brake, it doesnt readily accept a flash hider or silencer, so...
Also, I have noticed twice that Zerothomas has posted that one can have the parts and not have them assembled, which is untrue. Its constructive possession, as you posted.

NJ has odd laws and its up to you to interpret them. You act at your peril. Read up alot and cross your fingers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Stag Arms M4'gery upper with a NJ compliant Muzzle Brake. You don't notice much of a change in recoil, but everyone three ports on either side will tell you it is working. I drove a lot of other class attendees nuts with that set up that I felt bad. Next go around, no muzzle device for me.

I can tell you from doing our night time shooting ops, you can see a huge difference in muzzle blast from the brake versus the FS. I was pretty amazed at how well they worked. We had twenty guys shooting dark, and then there was the guy from Jersey lighting everything up. At least with a standard no device muzzle, you have a narrow cone of noise and flash, with the MB you almost have a sphere of stuff going on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top