Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 10:30:17 AM EDT
Looking at a Schmidt and Bender PM2 for my new rifle and noticed it comes with a choice of reticles AND a choice of click values for the turrets.

And a choice of 1st or 2nd focal plane too.

Choices choices This is going to be an very expensive rifle and scope ( a lifetime investment really ) so I am doing loads of research to ensure I get it right.

Have always used mildot in the past so will probably go with that again.

That leaves 1st or 2nd focal plane to decide on. Obviously 1st makes use of the mildots simpler as they are the same despite the magnification. But apparently the crosshairs get very thick at high mag ? At what magnification on the PM2 2nd focal plane are the mildot values based on ?

And are metric click values best when using mildot reticles ? I am guessing it makes sense to have click values that match the mildot values without complicated formulas to work out ?

Would love to hear from you all with what you use and how you find it ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#1]
My vote goes to 1st focal plane and matching the reticule with the knobs

but what's your intended use, all known distance stuff or unknown distance?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking at a Schmidt and Bender PM2 for my new rifle and noticed it comes with a choice of reticles AND a choice of click values for the turrets.

And a choice of 1st or 2nd focal plane too.

Choices choices This is going to be an very expensive rifle and scope ( a lifetime investment really ) so I am doing loads of research to ensure I get it right.

Have always used mildot in the past so will probably go with that again.

That leaves 1st or 2nd focal plane to decide on. Obviously 1st makes use of the mildots simpler as they are the same despite the magnification. But apparently the crosshairs get very thick at high mag ? At what magnification on the PM2 2nd focal plane are the mildot values based on ?

And are metric click values best when using mildot reticles ? I am guessing it makes sense to have click values that match the mildot values without complicated formulas to work out ?

Would love to hear from you all with what you use and how you find it ?

Depends on what type of shooting you are doing, if it's for practical rifle when you are shooting strings off one known setting then it's up to you. I presume that if you are spending mega-bucks then you will want something that is as versatile as possible, that can perform to a high standard under all circumstances.
You will need to consider:

Rifle?
Barrel length?
Calibre?
Proposed use?
Distances?
Weight?
Factory, Milsurp or Homeload Ammo?

If you intend to do target work that requires plotting (or a knowledge of plotting and wind reading), then I personally would go with the MOA.

MOA is how a lot of targets are set out, you'll notice this especially at F-class. The maths for 100yd increments (and thus 25yd intervals) is much easier with MOA as well.

Which one are you going for? Because they are bringing out a higher mag than the x25 one.  I believe there are only a few in the country so far and they are fetching over £2000.  

I have a 10x Schmidt and Bender and I do like it. However I also have 4 Nightforce NXS (1 of 5.5-22x56, 2 of 8-32x56, 1 of 12-42x56) and a couple of Leupolds, and a Trijicon ACOG.  I prefer the Nightforce - just my personal choice, all are good.

The new Sightron scopes from Japan are supposed to be very good as well. The optics are excellent and they are still reasonably priced. IOR are good but very heavy, US Optics are supposed to be very good, I've never used one and they do tend to look like you've got Joddrell Bank on your rifle.

It's all fun!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
3-12x50 PM11 double turn Mildot (2nd focal plane), metric, I have 2 and they do every application you can ask for.

Optically IMHO, nothing comes even close, especially when you get out to 400yds +
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 5-25 PMII with metric turrets, P4L fein reticle, 1st focal plane. The 'fein' reticle is fine enough to shoot with utmost precision even at 25x mag'. FFP is also favoured in UKD shooting when using the reticle to range find.
I also have a 5-25 PMII, metric turrets. P3 mildot reticle. This one does get a little 'thick' at higher mag's but you'll find with glass this good you won't be winding the mag up too high too often. I have often shot at 1000yds with anywhere between 5x and 10x mag' having no need to go any higher.

I have or have owned U.S. Optics, NF, I.O.R. Leupold, and nothing, in my opinion comes close to the Schmidts. I now have 4!

Final word, match the clicks to the reticle, get out there, buy a Schmidt, shoot it and enjoy!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're getting the AI AW then get the S&B! They were made for each other
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much decided on the S+B 5-25x56

And as I suspected, matching metric turrets to metric reticule makes sense.

The P4 fine is looking like its a good alternative to the mildot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fluffy, look at my avatar, and that is what you will get, that is a 5-25 PM11 with IIRC P4 ret

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy, look at my avatar, and that is what you will get, that is a 5-25 PM11 with IIRC P4 ret

'Tis indeed..
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Talking of high-end scopes, anyone seen a Premier Heritage in the metal yet?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'Tis indeed..

Thought it was, that was taken at Sennybridge 'F' range through the scope on my mates AIAW, it
was my shot at 800 yds, just before it hit the target

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
just before it hit the target

first time for everything ;-)

Thought you were busy making enquiries on my behalf ?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top