Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 12:35:18 PM EDT
I still haven't got around to sending my FAC application form away. There seems to be one hypothetical hurdle after another. This is the latest one:

I'm 21 (but I haven't started driving yet!), the range is around 20 miles away. The local bus links are fairly good and well-suited to transporting me to and from the range, which is fair enough because I don't currently own any firearms. This will soon change however, as I'm tired of using the el-cheapo Ruger club guns. I'm thinking of going for either a V22 or a Bremmer.

Obviously this presents a bit of a problem. Common sense dictates that I just can't "take up arms" and jump on the nearest bus! Is this even legally kosher?

Obviously the carbine would be kept stripped (bolt-carrier removed) in a locked case and any ammunition would be carried in a seperate container. Just the standard, common-sense rules of firearm transport.

Since this aint Switzerland, It seems to me that the only concrete and realistic solution would be to start driving!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Put the whole lot in a normal sports bag as a bit of urban camo. Other than that -  its no-ones bloody business. When was the last time anyone wants to know whats in your addidas bag ?

Legally speaking theres no issues with public transport.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
310 is right about transporting, you are quite legal to get on a bus with a firearm if you are correctley licenced, but best not to draw to much attention to yourself ie dont wear DPM and carry your weapon in a drag bag or the likes  

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good news. Do you reckon it would be a good idea to send Stagecoach Bus UK a wee letter just to let them know that I'll be legally carrying arms on their coaches? Or is it none of their business?

How about the police? Should I let the FEO know?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd suggest you keep it to yourself. The bus company will likely invent a new rule to ban it if you tell them.

Telling other people also reduces your security - who is the clerk at the bus company likely to tell down the pub ? Do you trust them with an address they will know they can find firearms ?

Just keep the gun and mags unloaded, and maybe either put the gun in a locked box inside the bag or a put a gun lock on it. The locks are just a clear indication that its not being carried in a readily usable manner.

When I first got my ticket at 17 (years ago !) I used the bus to go to range.

Enjoy your shooting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's good news. Do you reckon it would be a good idea to send Stagecoach Bus UK a wee letter just to let them know that I'll be legally carrying arms on their coaches? Or is it none of their business?

How about the police? Should I let the FEO know?

No!

Fair enough I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd suggest you keep it to yourself. The bus company will likely invent a new rule to ban it if you tell them.

Telling other people also reduces your security - who is the clerk at the bus company likely to tell down the pub ? Do you trust them with an address they will know they can find firearms ?

Just keep the gun and mags unloaded, and maybe either put the gun in a locked box inside the bag or a put a gun lock on it. The locks are just a clear indication that its not being carried in a readily usable manner.

When I first got my ticket at 17 (years ago !) I used the bus to go to range.

Good point! The more people who know about it, the less secure the firearms become.

Enjoy your shooting.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A local bus driver refused to let a person carrying a can of paint on his bus, 'ealth 'n' safety he said total bollox of course.

Golf club bag is the answer, nice and long,  you can probably find a used one in a charity shop. I heard of a shooter who did that, and had no trouble on the train or bus.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You should have seen us struggling to get on a bus at Heathrow with 4 pelican rifle cases plus luggage!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, seperate the Upper & Lower & stick it in a Ruck or Sports bag, V22 is a sound choice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Here in Germany, you are not allowed to transport either weapon's or freshly purchased ammo on public transport.

Tony
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
one of our members carries his rifle slip across his back as he rides his motorbike...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the current legal authority on transporting firearms via public transport? Will it be in the Home Office's Guidance to the Police? (Because I can't find anything relevant in my copy of said document) I just fancy being able to quote line and verse in the unlikely event that I get stopped.

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If, exceptionally, guns are to be carried on public transport they should be kept covered in a suitable case and remain with the holder at all times

Aye.

I saw that page a wee while ago. The word "exceptionally" seems to be a bit offputting, but I guess that might just be to discourage carrying arms on public transport as a matter of routine, and probably doesn't cover traveling to and from the odd competition/weekly practice.

Cheers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top