Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:18:50 AM EDT
I promised I'd keep Clayo updated. Well here's the first pic.

The barrel blank with one end cut off.

Should I add more pics later tonight, just to keep him online and panting?

Matt
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that's all he needs to see for now.....don't want him getting over excited

Mark
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#2]
WHY YOU......... EVIL SADISTIC SPAWN OF SATAN !!

It's not fair to play with a mans emotions like that, i've waited patiently for over, what seems like years for this little baby ( slight exaggeration !! ).

i want to see more pics NOW !!!

Steve

btw, why aint that barrel attached to anything ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The second stage is to cut the other end of the blank so the whole is about 1/2" - 1" over size.

I'm off to bed now......
Hahahahahahahahaha!
More later!

ETA: pic was too big, so I've reduced it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
More ! Lets see that barrel in its right place.

Run me through what happens next,

More pics
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Then, after lots of turning, threading both ends and adding a flash hider and one of these;

you end up with this:

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice Matt, looks great, i'm guessing you only see the thin end when the rest of the rifle is assembled.

Do you think it would be parkerised by the weekend ?

Have you done the rest of the assembly ? A3 flattop dont forget.

Any more pics
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Very nice Matt, looks great, i'm guessing you only see the thin end when the rest of the rifle is assembled.

Yes

Do you think it would be parkerised by the weekend ?

quite possibly, but I'll be shooting at Warcop

Have you done the rest of the assembly ? A3 flattop dont forget.

have to wait and see.....

Any more pics

see above
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Bugger

So when you thinkin off sending me the finished article ?

I'll give your number to my RFD so he can arrange delivery and paperwork with you.

Steve

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Final picture tonight.

Next process is to chamber and headspace the barrel. once that's done you just assemble all the parts in the right order and it should go bang.

Well, I did that (and forgot to take a picture) and went to the proof house. It went bang and not BANG, so all is well.

Brought the gun back to the shop and disassembled it so the barrel can get parkerised.

Then I realised I hadn't taken a pic so I quickly got all the bits together and this is what I had.

ETA: just realised there's no handguards in the pic. Well you don't really need them, do you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Cheers Matt

Looks the mutts nuts !

I can go to bed happy now

Steve ( very happy )

Mail me when you know it's done, and well sort out the deatils of the transaction.

And, YES, handguards and a magazine are a must
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Chambered for .223 rem ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Can you get the foresights with the undersized bore?  DPMS do one rough bored to .650 IIRC.

ANdy

Barrel looks the right size to me. If you look closely you can see the larger diameter where the foresight sits.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you get the foresights with the undersized bore?  DPMS do one rough bored to .650 IIRC.

ANdy

Barrel looks the right size to me. If you look closely you can see the larger diameter where the foresight sits.

Dave

Dave, you're out of your depth here, as in you're barking up tyhe wrong tree.

Andy has a skinny barrel and some time back was talking about cutting it down into a carbine. Right Andy??
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can still get undersize FSB's as there are a few companies who make retro versions of the AR. Failing that, it would be possible to sleeve a .750" one or ream an undersized one.

Stick to the photography Dave

Mark
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, it looked as if Andy wanted to raise questions about the current picture.

A previous thread with no reference in current context is no help is it.

Serves Andy right for having a gay looking Bremmer arms thing with the horribly skinny barrel then don't it.

Andy, why don't you just give Sid some gold coins and get him to machine you one to the correct tolerances?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ANdy

DPMS will only deal with Fat Bob, but I should be able to get one on special order from my exporters as they supply other DPMS parts.

Are you interested?

Matt
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#17]
surely a couple of bushes would do the trick,

not a major problem im sure,

James,
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Just use a bit of....

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]
O.k. thast enough of that !!

Lets get this thread back onto ME ME ME.

Matt

Did the barrel go off to the parkerising place o.k. and did they give you a day for completion ?

Will it  just be a case of assembeling the rifle and posting it after that ?

Steve.

P.s. i've IM'ed you my RFD details so you can contact him to arrange delivery.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
O.k. thast enough of that !!

Lets get this thread back onto ME ME ME.

Matt

Did the barrel go off to the parkerising place o.k. and did they give you a day for completion ?

Will it  just be a case of assembeling the rifle and posting it after that ?

Steve.

P.s. i've IM'ed you my RFD details so you can contact him to arrange delivery.

Barrel is with the platers.
I'm off on holiday on Friday and it won't be done before I go (groan - Clayo). But it will be when I return (hurray!). (And I'm only gone a week).

Yes when I return and get your barrel back it is just a case of putting it together and sending it off to your dealer (his info received OK, thanks).

Matt
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I feel your pain. I've been waiting a little while for a new Barrel from Border via Matt and of course Matt's timescale is dictated by that of his suppliers, so I just have to sit here and wait.

The rifle was almost finished too, and then it had to go back (for an issue with the barrel from manufacture, Matt's work is top notch and his work would never be under par).

So I had it, and now its gone.

Plus I just sent my .22 AR off to get some high speed things made for it.

So I'm presently left with a Remy 870, not much fun in comparison
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel your pain. I've been waiting a little while for a new Barrel from Border via Matt and of course Matt's timescale is dictated by that of his suppliers, so I just have to sit here and wait.

The rifle was almost finished too, and then it had to go back (for an issue with the barrel from manufacture, Matt's work is top notch and his work would never be under par).

So I had it, and now its gone.

Plus I just sent my .22 AR off to get some high speed things made for it.

So I'm presently left with a Remy 870, not much fun in comparison

Dave,

You're dangerously under gunned. What would you do if the zombies started coming up the road, and you've only got the 870 with 3 shots? (or is it de-restricted?)

I feel your pain too, but what can I do.
Thanks for the complement BTW.

Matt, watching out for zombies
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I did buy Max Brook's survival guide, so I'm hoping forewarned is fore-armed.

It is a Sec 1 870, and it has  9 shot tube, but English 65mm carts fill the thing up at 7+1. Also, it's dangerously rubbish when shooting rabbits so I dread to think what it'd be like when SHTF.

It's just gonna have to be like Shaun of the Dead with the LP's.

"Thompson Twins, throw it. Ultravox...no, thats signed!!!"

You gets a compliment because your work is good, it's just Walthers that isn't (sometimes).

Dave

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, if you really do feel that nekkid and vulnerable without your guns, you can always go and have a look at the pics of mine. I don't mind,really

Hey,I'll even let you imagine that you are me

Oh, BTW, what's it like being an Englishman in Copenhagen today???? hahahaha 4-1 4-1 4-1 4-1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Luckily, I'm not English!!!

Dave /Geordie
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh well, after the praise Matt's rifles have been getting i suppose it'll be worth the wait !

Have a nice holiday Matt ( But get back soon and sort my rifle out !!! )

Steve.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Matt's work is top notch and his work would never be under par.

[cough] six-position stock Matt? [/cough]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[cough] Magpul's got 9 positions [/cough]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Guys, you really should get that problem looked at !!

Steve
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
[cough]Got half a Magpul[/cough]

Just waitin for the postie to deliver the rest

James,
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
[cough]Got half a Magpul[/cough]

Just waitin for the postie to deliver the rest

James,

[cough] which half? [/cough]
Hope you've got a carbine buffer and spring ready

Mark
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#35]
the buffer tube and spring / buffer are fitted awaiting the Stock part lol,

James,
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#36]

You gets a compliment because your work is good, it's just Walthers that isn't (sometimes).

Dave

Yeah, the Walthers........sigh

This has turned out to be a real pain. Now, everyone knows that Walther make good barrels, and they do. They are essentially on par with similar barrels like Douglas and Pac-Nor, but there is definately something amiss here and we can't put a finger on it. They are accurate barrels, there's no doubt about that but their twist rate is not working. They all measure out correctly ie 1/7 etc, but there are some that just aren't doing what they're supposed to do, and that is stabilise the heavier bullets.
There have been some that perform exactly as they're supposed to, and these have turned out to be extremely accurate with 77's but there have also been some which I'll term as Rogue, that will shoot anything up to a 69 with tack driving accuracy, but when you put anything heavier through it...throws them all over the place. Almost as if they have the wrong twist rate....but they don't

Interestingly, I know a guy who has a Browning BLR in .223. It had a 1/12 twist originally, and he wanted something faster so shoot 69's to be competitive. His local dealer fitted a Walther 1/9 and it will still only shoot 52/55gn bullets. Weird.
It's almost as if the Walthers need an extra coulpe of inches of twist compared to other makes, to stabilise bullets reliably.
It's very frustrating.
Needless to say, we won't be using them in future.
Here in the UK, it's hard to get a good reliable source of quality barrels. Most of the good ones come from the States, but it has become a nightmare trying to get them over since the US State dept went all anal. We did have a source a while ago to get some of the very best barrels available sent over, and thought it would be a reliable source....alas, we got let down.
We thought Walther would be the answer, especially with them being in a EC country...
There is another avenue open to us, but their barrels are only a std grade, and not what we want to fit to the guns that we produce. (I say we...it's actually Matt, but I help him out and do a fair bit of work with him)
We've now decided to use barrels from Britains best barrel manufacturer...Border.
We have now used several barrels from Border and they are top notch, as is expected from a manufacturer that has a worldwide reputation.

Hopefully there will be no more problems, but rest assured, if there are..we will take care of it.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
the buffer tube and spring / buffer are fitted awaiting the Stock part lol,

James,

Make sure that the buffer tube over-rides and intercepts the buffer retaining detent sufficiently.
I had a problem with mine, whereas I thought it was retaining the detent but after a while, a little bit of wear occured in the end of the buffer tube and allowed the detent to ride up and jam the carrier.
I cured this by turning the buffer tube in one extra turn and then filing off the end of the tube to clear the *pip* on the detent.

Works perfectly now

Mark
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[cough] Magpul's got 9 positions [/cough]

SIGH. I give up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top