Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2010 12:06:03 PM EDT
I really enjoyed going out to Zia with the NM HTF people.  Are we going to do this again in the future?
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan on inviting some more of you slackers (non-Zia-members) in the near future. TBA
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL.  The September orientation was cancelled and I will be out of town hunting during the next orientation  I do plan on joining though whenever I get the opportunity.  Zia is a nice place to go shooting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
This slacker is in there for another shoot.  Wish Del Norte had some of the stuff Zia does. Fridays are good for me, some Saturdays as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC there is a orentation the 23rd of Oct.  I am planning on going to it.  So after that I can bring 2 people.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I am trying to get a buddy who moved into town recently to attend that one.  It's the last Zia orientation scheduled for this year.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC there is a orentation the 23rd of Oct.  I am planning on going to it.  So after that I can bring 2 people.  

MAHA

Unfortunately, by buddy, who's a Zia board member, said that the $60 prorated price is gone. I was going to join for the half year and save a few bucks. Too bad...
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
So do you get a full year if you renew for the full cost?
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAHA

Unfortunately, by buddy, who's a Zia board member, said that the $60 prorated price is gone. I was going to join for the half year and save a few bucks. Too bad...

They're expecting people to pay the full $120 for 5 months of membership (November 2010-March 2011)?  Really?  That just doesn't make sense.

I seem to remember it was something like that which convinced me to wait until 2007 to join, even though I moved here in 2006.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Ifif that is the case and they are not doing the 60 bucks for half the year then it is a no go for me. That is the only reason I have waited 4 months to join. I will have to call and find out.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ifif that is the case and they are not doing the 60 bucks for half the year then it is a no go for me. That is the only reason I have waited 4 months to join. I will have to call and find out.

MAHA

Same here. Guess I'll have to mooch until the first orientation next year. Also, he said that it's going to get a lot harder to become a member with only 3 or 4 orientations a year. Many of the old-timers on the board are pushing to cap the membership and my buddy has proposed a "member-sponsored" system as a balance between frozen and unlimited. I really want to join but can't justify $120 for 5 months...
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if you can do the orentation now and if they want the 120 just wait till april to pay so you don't have to wait for the first orentation of the year.

I emailed them today so we will see what they say.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder if you can do the orentation now and if they want the 120 just wait till april to pay so you don't have to wait for the first orentation of the year.

I emailed them today so we will see what they say.

MAHA

I meant first orientation of their year, April 1st-March 31st. It's a long time to wait but it's not like I have a lot of dough to buy ammo anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I meant first orientation of their year, April 1st-March 31st. It's a long time to wait but it's not like I have a lot of dough to buy ammo anyway.

I expect that's what my buddy will end up doing.  

See, he emailed me yesterday to say he didn't think the Zia dues would be "cost effective" and that since he only plans to go like 8 times a year, he'd get more "quality time" at the city range.

I can't say he's wrong on the money part, if he's supposed to pay a full year of dues for 5 months of membership.

As for the other part, he clearly has never been to the ABQ city range (in fact he hasn't, for various reasons).  He's in for some unpleasant surprises.

It's not obvious to the newcomer, but Zia dues buy far more than use of the facilities.  They pay for being left alone to do your own thing for the most part.  They pay for not having a city employee breathing down your neck, not having to wait for the range to open in the morning and not having to quit at 4pm, and not having mandatory cease-fires where you end up twiddling your thumbs for 10 minutes.

I'm sure that by next April, he'll be chompin' at the bit to join Zia.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Is zia only for nra life members? I've been wantng to join either there or del norte.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is zia only for nra life members? I've been wantng to join either there or del norte.

no you dont have to be a life member.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no you dont have to be a life member.

Just an NRA member, for insurance purposes IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks, so so you guys reccomend zia over the other range? I'm about right in the middle, so either range is about the same distance from my place.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks, so so you guys reccomend zia over the other range? I'm about right in the middle, so either range is about the same distance from my place.

i dont know if you can really say one is better than the other. but they do have some differences.

i like that zia is 24 hours. I have gone out many times after midnight and shot in the 100 yard tunnel range.

i know del norte has a 1000 yard range and a sporting clays shotgun. But thats the extent of my DN knowledge

i think the best thing todo is get a membership to both

Link Posted: 10/11/2010 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know if you can really say one is better than the other. but they do have some differences.

i like that zia is 24 hours. I have gone out many times after midnight and shot in the 100 yard tunnel range.

i know del norte has a 1000 yard range and a sporting clays shotgun. But thats the extent of my DN knowledge

Now that would be ideal, but I can only afford one. Maybe I'll wait til I get to guest at them and see what i like better. I kinda like the idea of the 24 hour thing, because I like to be out at 5 am before it gets too hot.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is the e-mail I got from Zia about the Fees for the rest of the year:

Subject: Membership

It will be half price.
Nancy

Subject: Membership

I am planning to attend the 23 Oct Orientation.  What will the charge be for the membership be for the rest of the Zia Year?

So it will be half price.

MAHA

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#21]
MAHA,
In that case, I'll see you this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish I could make the orientation.  I really want to sign up.  However, I will be in the Pecos trying to get me some deer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup I will be there.

In fact I am loading some.223 that I will be testing out Sunday.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a member of both and I prefer Zia, but DNGC is a very large and clean range.  Also, for the casual long range shooter, Zia has more to offer with steel installed to 750 yards.  The 1000 yard range at Del Norte is a separate orientation and shooting qualification if you are interested in using it and they don't do steel on it.  I hear that if you drop a half-dozen official LR shooting certifications on them they will waive the orientation for that range, though.

BK3 is correct that the old Zia crew wants to limit membership, longing for the old days when it was much like a personal range without all the jackassery that seems to be going on with all the new members.  With the lease and land commissioner issues afoot there I figure there's strength in numbers and deeper pockets, but I don't make decisions.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BK3 is correct that the old Zia crew wants to limit membership, longing for the old days when it was much like a personal range without all the jackassery that seems to be going on with all the new members.  With the lease and land commissioner issues afoot there I figure there's strength in numbers and deeper pockets, but I don't make decisions.

This is the same crap that started to happen on the range I shot at in FL.  Instead of warning people or kicking them out they want to make more rules that people wont follow.  I have only been the the FL Range twice when I feared for my life.  Both time I packed up and left.  On the way out I told them that what they were doing was not safe and they needed to stop before someone got hurt.  I also called the club officials with date time and vehicles that were there.  

It is sad when the day that the pro gun people want to make more rules to try and regulate shooting.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I am at the orentation now. It was $60 to sign up for the rest of the year.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#27]
MAHA and I joined yesterday so we have two more Zia members in the NMHTF.
We should do some Action Handgun!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
MAHA and I joined yesterday so we have two more Zia members in the NMHTF.
We should do some Action Handgun!

I would love to do AH but I have to work every Saturday
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Where is ZIA anyway?

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#30]
It's south of Kirtland AFB, by the dragstrip and Montessa Park Convenience Center on Los Picaros Rd.
It's a great facility.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where is ZIA anyway?

Just south of Kirtland AFB/Airport.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I can do week day afternoons/evenings with my current work schedule. Late Saturday would work as well.

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Night shoots.

I show up at very odd hours. Did anyone say- "Private Club"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top