Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2018 1:00:09 PM EDT
Got one the other day.
I see online that I have a fine of $195, but I can’t just pay and be done, I have to show up in court.
Is there much more to this than it seems?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this a driving citation?   What statute did they say you violated?   27-51-104?

27-51-104. Careless and prohibited driving.

(a)  It shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate any vehicle in such a careless manner as to evidence a failure to keep a proper lookout for other traffic, vehicular or otherwise, or in such a manner as to evidence a failure to maintain proper control on the public thoroughfares or private property in the State of Arkansas.

(b)  It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or drive any vehicle on the public thoroughfares or private property in the State of Arkansas in violation of the following prohibited acts:
 (1)  Improper or unsafe lane changes on public roadways;
 (2)  Driving onto or across private property to avoid intersections, stop signs, traffic control devices, or traffic lights;
 (3)  Driving in such a manner or at such a speed so as to cause a skidding, spinning, or sliding of tires or a sliding of the vehicle;
 (4)  Driving too close to or colliding with parked or stopped vehicles, fixtures, persons, or objects adjacent to the public thoroughfares;
 (5)  Driving a vehicle which has any part thereof or any object extended in such fashion as to endanger persons or property;
 (6)  To operate any vehicle in such a manner which would cause a failure to maintain control;
 (7)  To operate or drive a vehicle wherein or whereon passengers are located in such a manner as to be dangerous to the welfare of such passengers; or
 (8)  To operate a vehicle in any manner when the driver is inattentive and such inattention is not reasonable and prudent in maintaining vehicular control.

(c)  A person who violates this section shall be subject to a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100).
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a driving citation?   What statute did they say you violated?   27-51-104?
View Quote
That's it.
Lost control of my car on an unfamiliar road, took a ride over a curb, took out a sign, and totaled it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]
According to the statute the max fine is $100.00 however if you damaged a street sign that might be included in the Fine.    The statute appears to one of those "catch all" laws that tries to cover everything not covered by other statutes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
According to the statute the max fine is $100.00 however if you damaged a street sign that might be included in the Fine.    The statute appears to one of those "catch all" laws that tries to cover everything not covered by other statutes.
View Quote
Any reason I can't just walk in the court house and pay the fine?
Lady on the phone said I have to go to court, then pay the fine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Unsure.  You might try a call to to local city attorney's office and ask.  Maybe because there might be a points penalty a court appearance may be necessary?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If you operate a vehicle as part of your job a careless driving ticket might prevent you from being easily insurable...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one in Lowell for "not yielding to a bus when its stop sign was out".  Problem was the bus was behind me when he extended the stop sign.  Dash cam saved me from the big ticket and 10-day suspension but he wrote me the prohibitive driving ticket because I was supposed to yield to the bus and did not...

Lowell PD had me pay the ticket online and didn't want to see my in court.  BIL is a local attorney and laughed when I asked him about contesting it.

$180 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got one in Lowell for "not yielding to a bus when its stop sign was out".  Problem was the bus was behind me when he extended the stop sign.  Dash cam saved me from the big ticket and 10-day suspension but he wrote me the prohibitive driving ticket because I was supposed to yield to the bus and did not...

Lowell PD had me pay the ticket online and didn't want to see my in court.  BIL is a local attorney and laughed when I asked him about contesting it.

$180 bucks.
View Quote
And yet according to the statute the fine shall not be more than $100.00   I guess they added court costs to the maximum $100.00???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top