Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 11:15:02 AM EDT
Has anyone heard any reports of any wild hogs in NWA? I have head a few people say that they have seen some up here but I havent heard of any being killed up here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Feral Hog History
Arkansas was known for its razorbacks long before it was known for its razorbacks. These lean, mean hogs wire known as razorbacks because of their high, hair-covered backbone: the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville didn't choose the Razorback as its mascot for nothing.
Early settlers used the wild lands of Arkansas as the growing place for their hogs, letting them turn the forage of the forest into usable protein. In the fall, usually, the settlers would trap hogs in large pens and take them to market to sell or slaughter.

This practice, continued into the 20th century, but the depression forced many hardscrabble farmers to abandon both their country lifestyle and their semi-wild hogs in favor of a more stable lifestyle in town. For a while, free-ranging hogs weren't common. Nowadays, the only true razorbacks come from Fayetteville but there are still feral hogs roaming the lands of the natural state. Today; they are again a problem, with feral/free-ranging hogs present in over 50 counties

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been told that there are some wild hogs in Greenland, south of Fayetteville. I live in Siloam Springs and have heard no one talk about any here. I used to hog hunt back home in Mississippi and I loved it. There is something about hunting something that could get you if you don't get him first.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
JJ,

Thanks, I think.

Sarge,

I had heard from someone that there are some down there also. I have also heard that there are some up in the Mark Twain National Forrest around Cassville, MO. But I have not heard of any being shot. I try to get back home to Texas once a year and hunt them, I agree with you it is a little different hunting something that can be as mean and aggressive as a hog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi ShadowEnt, I found that little bit of info and copied and pasted it for you.
Basically you will find feral hogs all over the state. If you plan on hunting
them be carefull they can be quite nasty.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you JJ, I am going back to Texas at the end of the month to hunt them at my cousins place, it would be nice to not have to travel so far to shoot one though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Where I'm from, we do some Hog huntin, but is is during Football and Baseball season (this year Basketball too). Sometimes we don't even have to go all the way to NW Arkansas - they come down to Baton Rouge.

Go Tigers!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard some guys talk about them being around the Buffalo National River area.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Cajunboy,

Born and raised in Texas so I am a lifelong Longhorn fan, I am trying to hunt the kind of Hogs that I have a use for, not the ones your talkin about Havent heard that before, I did talk to a game warden the other day that says he has seen them here around Berryville.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any first hand knowledge of them actually being there, it might be worth your time to call the AG&FC in that region for info.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
ShadowEnt:

I don't know how far into Texas you have to go, but I've hunted hogs in Arkansas Co. near Trusten-Holder WMA by the Arkansas River.  They're thick down in the bottoms.  May not be as far as you have to go now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where I'm from, we do some Hog huntin, but is is during Football and Baseball season (this year Basketball too). Sometimes we don't even have to go all the way to NW Arkansas - they come down to Baton Rouge.

Go Tigers!

f-in coonasses......

WOOOOO PIG!

and to keep this post on topic:  always wanted to go hog huntin.  have yet to have a chance to do it, though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Well it looks like I am taking the 24th off to go "see my family" in Texas so hopefully I will bring back some porkchops and some pictures. The latest rumor is that my neighbor has released some russian mixed hogs at his place but you know how rumors go, guess I will have to flag him down and see.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have been told that there are some wild hogs in Greenland, south of Fayetteville. I live in Siloam Springs and have heard no one talk about any here. I used to hog hunt back home in Mississippi and I loved it. There is something about hunting something that could get you if you don't get him first.

Graduated from Greenland in 2001.  Never heard that one before...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]
There are some in the Petit Jean WMA about six miles East of Centerville.
I have killed several there.
They always have some bigassed lice on them.
I didn't know that the first time and carried it out on my back. Not a good idea!
I have also seen some on the Cherokee WMA land SW of Booneville.
Occasionally some come through my farm in the Washburn area.
CP
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
JJ,

Thanks, I think.

Sarge,

I had heard from someone that there are some down there also. I have also heard that there are some up in the Mark Twain National Forrest around Cassville, MO. But I have not heard of any being shot. I try to get back home to Texas once a year and hunt them, I agree with you it is a little different hunting something that can be as mean and aggressive as a hog.

Nope, I stopped at the Cassville ranger station to ask about this last summer. They said they have heard of some the next district over but not in theirs. I live in Bentonville and would love to try this, but so far finding solid Intel about locations is proving difficult.

Omni
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#17]
That is the problem I have had Omni, good intel, I am sure they will end up around here at some point and then we will probably wish that they had stayed away, I know they tear the hell out of my Dad's deer lease down in Tyler, TX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top