Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:23:38 AM EDT
I'll be in the Memphis area 3-10 Oct (traveling between there and Mtn View Ar at least once).

Any local spots 'not to miss'? Besides guns, I'm a history buff (any/all periods), gardener, somewhat of a survivalist. Also enjoy sewing/textiles --if any of the wimmenz can recommend fabric/yarn stores?

Living history info is also welcome--enjoyed the Ozark cultural center and will return there for certain.

Many thanks!

Gwen in L.A.
aka the Arkansas traveler

4 MORE YEARS!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with your trip as I am in the southern part of the state. I do have a question though. Can you take me back to LA....please?? Other than the politics I miss it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
DOA....Southwest Airlines has flights from L'Rock to LA.

I wouldn't mind retiring in certain parts of the Ozarks,  but the tornadoes suck. I will take my chances with the quakes.

Come home soon!

Gwen
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
GwenInLA1,

Sorry to chime in a little late here but there a few interesting historical sites in Eastern AR. that I know about.

On Hwy. 64 East of Wynne is a small town called Parkin.  There is a historical Indian site there, complete with a tour guide I am told.  They have just built a new facility right on the St. Francis River, you can't miss it.  One word of caution though, lock your doors, and be gone before Sundown, Parkin is not a very hospitable town after dark, especially to outsiders.

On Hwy 49 around the town of Harrisburg there is an old plantation called the Parker Homestead.  They have a tour there with people dressed in 1800's fashion working on the plantation.  After it is over you can even buy some honey that they make there on site.  I've never been but they tell me it is a great tour.

While you are in Harrisburg, I recommend stoping by the Food Giant, as they have one of the largest inventories of firearms in Eastern AR.  If you want to go on up to Jonesboro which is 15 mi. north of Harrisburg, stop by Trent's Rental Center to check out the largest selection of Assualt Weapons in North East AR.  Trent is located on Stadium Blvd. just beside the Stadium Place Apartments.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In Jonesboro, the state game & fish dept built a new wildlife outdoor center with a 30 minute movie on the geological and cultural history of "Crowley's Ridge" -- a unique geological phenomenon on all the earth .. rising up out of the flat delta floodplains is a strip of land travelling north , which varies between 1 mi and 12mi thick, several hundred feet high.

Runs from Helena, AR, north to Missourri near the tip of ILlinois.

Anyway the nature center is neat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top