Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2019 10:58:24 PM EDT
This is the text of the changes to the ordinance:
11 9.36.110 Firearms in Unattended Motor Vehicle; Unlawful.
12 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep a firearm in a motor vehicle which is not
13 occupied and/or is outside the immediate control of the person responsible for the vehicle unless
14 the firearm is locked inside the glove box, trunk, other compartment of the vehicle, or a hardened
15 storage container securely attached to the vehicle in an unattended motor vehicle for a period in
16 excess of twenty-four hours.

17 2. The provisions of this section shall not apply to members of the Armed Forces of
18 the United States, active or reserve, the National Guard of this state, or Reserve Officers Training
19 Corps, when on duty or training, or peace officers or other duly authorized law enforcement
20 officers, nor shall it apply to vehicles containing firearms that are parked in locked enclosures or
21 buildings, such as garages or other storage facilities.

I don't leave firearms unattended in my vehicle under normal circumstances, but I see this as a testing of the waters for further infringements around the safe storage theme. If they don't get push back on this they will be emboldened to press on with their agenda.
If you are unable to make it to the hearing on the 21st please encourage others to attend and write the city council with your objections.

https://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/council/contact.htm  will take you to a page you can email your concerns.

Here is the email I sent. Feel free to borrow parts or use it to kick start ideas for letting them know you object.

I am writing this in regards to the ordinance amending Section 9.36.110 of the Lincoln Municipal Code relating to Firearms in Unattended Motor Vehicle proposed by councilman Christensen. The council member is to be commended on recognizing a serious issue for the safety of Lincoln's residents. Teenage thieves are an ongoing problem. My neighborhood typically experiences a rash of auto break ins every spring and fall. Teenage criminals with stolen weapons is certainly a danger to our fine city.

I must however take issue with the proposed ordinance changes. ARTICLE I Section 1 of the Constitution of the State of Nebraska in part states:

the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of
self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting,
recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be
denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof.

This ordinance places the burden to reduce teen theft on the victims of the crime rather than on the criminals, as such I see this as an infringement of the Constitutional rights of Lincoln residents. Nowhere in this ordinance does it address the root of the problem, teenage thieves, nor does it seek to punish said thieves but instead punishes the victims of the crime.

Additionally there are inherent problems with the storage requirements.  A person without a State of Nebraska concealed carry permit who secures a firearm in the glove box of their vehicle while operating it  is in violation of State law in that they are concealing the weapon and could be charged with committing a felony offense.
I drive a pickup truck, currently when transporting a long gun I put it in a soft case behind the seat of my truck. I don't believe there is a lockable storage container that would meet the requirements of this ordinance that would fit behind the seat of my truck. I would be in violation of this ordinance if transporting a long gun in the manner I currently do simply by exiting the truck and entering a store for a short amount of time.

Again Councilman Christensen is to be commended for recognizing a serious problem in our city and the desire to "do something" however I would like to see the solution directed at the criminals rather than potentially making criminals of law abiding citizens. I would be curious to know if any of the teens who where apprehended with stolen firearms were sentenced to 6 months in jail or fined more than $500? Could you look into that and get back to me?

I would like to suggest that rather than making criminals of currently law abiding citizens and visitors to our community, the city council focus on stopping or more severely punishing the actual criminals. Also, education and outreach to inform firearms owners to encourage  safe storage habits would be a better solution than punishing them for being victims of crime.

Sincerely, Ghost_Dog_NE

Let me know if it would be productive to post this in GD. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top