Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2020 12:55:38 AM EDT
Well the good and bad is that it looks like Covid is gonna kill the wifes job here in California and I just had to med retire from my job recently. We have been kicking around different moves and moving back home to Alaska had always been the number one for me, was supposed to just be in the hell that is California for 5 years so I could get work experience then lateral home unfortunately she fell in love with the weather here and it never happened. It looks like we'll be moving home to be closer to family and I plan to bring most of weapons with me on the airline over multiple trips but my problem is how to ship my ammo bunker back. Can I put it in the moving truck that'll go on the barge or is that a no go? Its somewhere around 15k rounds of various calibers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Judging by the wording of stowing Ammo separate from the firearms it sounds like you can but I’d give them a call.

Attachment Attached File

You can also drive it through Canada up to 5,000 rounds and it’s a pretty simple form to bring more than 5,000. They will still give you an ass pain about it at the border even though it’s legal. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also bring up to 50# of ammo with you on the plane.  That's a lot of .22LR, not so many larger rounds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have most of my stuff in 7.62 cal ammo cans and 50 cal ammo cans. Not sure if Canada would let me through especially with most of it being personal defense ammo and I know they're weird about hollowpoint ammo. Guess ill call whatever transport company we end up using and hopefully it can go in the container with the rest of our stuff. Also wondering if Canada would want an exact round count since most of it is loose packed in ammo cans its about 15 full ammo cans of loose pack and another few 40 mm cans of boxed stuff. Appreciate the info guys
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know how prudent this is, but it worked for me.  I used one of those ABF U-Pack cargo containers.  Somewhere in the fine print it said something about not transporting ammo, but enough people on forums said they shipped their ammo that way without a problem.  I went ahead and put loaded ammo cans in liquor boxes and topped them off with paperback books and loaded them in the middle of the container.  I marked each of those boxes 'Stuff'.  Everything made it here without incident.  I figured since it was being put on a barge and not being trucked up through Canada that it was not very likely to be opened.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Every trip through Canada can be a different event.  I tried to follow everyone's  rules as best I could during our move.  Canada has a lot of information on the rules on the web.  There is a phone number somewhere you can call up and ask a real person specific questions.  Canada did not ask for an exact count of our ammo.  I always used the phrase: "We have no more than 5K rounds, primers, pieces of brass, etc."  Things that were easy to count (5 bricks of primers = 5K) I counted and estimated things that I couldn't.  Some ammo boxes had 24 rounds of ammo and 26 pieces of fired brass times many many boxes.  I made sure I was on the low side of 5K total (for each of us) for any item.  Exact weight for powder.  I had the amounts of stuff I had written down, but they never asked.

Canada asked a lot of questions about why we had so much ammo, etc., but no guns.  They would ask the same question in slightly different ways.  They were always nice to us.  The one time we did have guns we made sure all were "Fudd" long guns (plus a Garand) and had our paperwork filled out.  There was not enough lines on the form for the amount we had, so we filled out 2 forms and had the fees for both in hand...the officer combined both forms together and saved us some cash.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every trip through Canada can be a different event.  I tried to follow everyone's  rules as best I could during our move.  Canada has a lot of information on the rules on the web.  There is a phone number somewhere you can call up and ask a real person specific questions.  Canada did not ask for an exact count of our ammo.  I always used the phrase: "We have no more than 5K rounds, primers, pieces of brass, etc."  Things that were easy to count (5 bricks of primers = 5K) I counted and estimated things that I couldn't.  Some ammo boxes had 24 rounds of ammo and 26 pieces of fired brass times many many boxes.  I made sure I was on the low side of 5K total (for each of us) for any item.  Exact weight for powder.  I had the amounts of stuff I had written down, but they never asked.

Canada asked a lot of questions about why we had so much ammo, etc., but no guns.  They would ask the same question in slightly different ways.  They were always nice to us.  The one time we did have guns we made sure all were "Fudd" long guns (plus a Garand) and had our paperwork filled out.  There was not enough lines on the form for the amount we had, so we filled out 2 forms and had the fees for both in hand...the officer combined both forms together and saved us some cash.
View Quote

I have significantly more than 5k, with the border still shut down for driving to Alaska through Canada hopefully it'll be open in the spring but I was honestly just planning on shipping my truck up and saving the wear and tear on it since that road isn't the best in the winter or breakup. Gonna call some moving companies and ask ammo policy this week and see what they say. The tote idea with other items seems like the best way so far for the barge. Ill post what I find out
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a note: the 5K limit is without a permit.  You can go through extra paperwork and take more through Canada; I don't know the details.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I personally think Alaska's future is pretty grim. I'm not saying that because I'm trying to scare Californians from coming here. Do a little research about the rapacious state government and the dependence of it on oil prices that aren't recovering soon if ever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I personally think Alaska's future is pretty grim. I'm not saying that because I'm trying to scare Californians from coming here. Do a little research about the rapacious state government and the dependence of it on oil prices that aren't recovering soon if ever.
View Quote

Im aware, I was born and raised in Alaska still have family there my wife is also from there and so is her family. We won't be in Anchorage that's for sure! My grandfather came to Alaska with the railroad right after WWII and my Father came up with the pipeline in the 70s and designed the electrical systems that used to run it. Alaska will always be my home and im not gonna be scared off by politicians and outsiders ruining the state. Im coming back and plan to fight for my home from all the outside interests that have screwed things up so bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top