Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2011 9:01:06 PM EDT
I have bought a handgun here before a little over a year ago. I have the letter signed and notarized by the military as my training requirement.

My question is, will I have to fill out all the information again? i.e. medical records, mental health waiver, etc etc or just the actual permit to acquire? I know I don't need to get fingerprinted again, but what about the other gobs of paperwork?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, you will have to apply for a permit for every handgun you acquire.  Wait 14 days, pick up permit, pick up gun, bring back to HPD to register gun within 3 days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but I understand that.

I'm talking about all the additional paperwork that goes with a pistol, not just the permit itself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
yep u must do all paperwork everytime even if nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
To give you some idea how stupid and redundant the paperwork is....

I had a handgun stolen from my house and it was recovered about a month later.  HPD didn't need the gun for evidence and released it back to me.  Before I could pick it up.... Yep, fill out all the paperwork and wait 14 days to get back handgun I already owned.

Best part is, they tracked the pistol back to me through the burglary report, firearms division couldn't find the record (I had to bring in my copy).
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I could understand filling out a new permit. But all the mental health, medical record BS is almost enough just to not even buy one...
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Just have your doctors info handy with you when you go so you won't need to look up the address or anything.  When I fill out the paperwork, it usually takes me only about 5 minutes to finish.  Now if there's a line, that's a different story.

eta.  You won't need to do fingerprint again though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
K, I haven't bought a handgun since December '09 and that was the only time I've done it.

Am I correct in this process?

Go to OGC, pay for pistol, get pistol info (ser #, barrel length, etc)

Take Pistol info, ID, Doctor's info to HPD.

Fill out all the paperwork I did in '09 with the exception of getting fingerprints.

Come back 14 days later, pick up the permit. Go to OGC, trade the permit for the pistol.

Then within 72 hours return to HPD to register the handgun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
K, I haven't bought a handgun since December '09 and that was the only time I've done it.

Am I correct in this process?

Go to OGC, pay for pistol, get pistol info (ser #, barrel length, etc)

Take Pistol info, ID, Doctor's info to HPD.

Fill out all the paperwork I did in '09 with the exception of getting fingerprints.

Come back 14 days later, pick up the permit. Go to OGC, trade the permit for the pistol.

Then within 72 hours return to HPD to register the handgun.

That is correct except you forgot to buy ammo and accessories when you were at OGC each time.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I knew I was forgetting something.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, that's fucking stupid. My hat is off to you guys for putting up with that bullshit. I remember what a pain it was when I bought my first gun and I had to endure a 7 day waiting period (I think....)
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow, I could understand filling out a new permit. But all the mental health, medical record BS is almost enough just to not even buy one...

Tha'ts why it is in place
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't miss all that BS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know OGC's Gen 3 LEO pricing on Glock 19s?

Nvm Ill just call tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
This is why I left home.  BS paperwork!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get a C&R license and have  qualified handguns sent directly to you.  Did that last month with an Israeli Hi-Power built in 1948.  You still have to register it but it's one less hurdle for you to jump over.  Definitely worth the 35 dollar cost for the license.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I have a C&R license already but ive never been interested in c&r pistols. Mainly Mausers and Mosin rifles
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a C&R also, and am renewing this year.  So how does it work for a C&R elligible handgun - do we still need to obtain a permit for it?  When I registered my C&R rifle they asked for my permit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't have a permit to acquire for my pistol.  It was mailed to me via USPS priority, I took it down to HPD, told them it was an import and would be under my C&R.  They filled out their forms gave me a copy and I was on my way.  I usually have an active permit to acquire for long arms but I've never put my C&R rifle purchases on them.  I tell them I'm acquiring it with my 03 FFL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I didn't have a permit to acquire for my pistol.  It was mailed to me via USPS priority, I took it down to HPD, told them it was an import and would be under my C&R.  They filled out their forms gave me a copy and I was on my way.  I usually have an active permit to acquire for long arms but I've never put my C&R rifle purchases on them.  I tell them I'm acquiring it with my 03 FFL.

Wow, that is an actual advantage of having a C&R here.  No permit required, all covered under C&R.   Hm..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top