Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 6:52:21 PM EDT
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=12344067

State of Alaska to join lawsuit challenging health care reform bill

Posted: Apr 20, 2010 1:05 PM
Updated: Apr 20, 2010 5:25 PM
by Channel 2 News staff
Tuesday, April 20, 2010

ANCHORAGE, Alaska –– Gov. Sean Parnell announced on Tuesday that the State of Alaska would join a lawsuit brought by at least 19 other states challenging the legality of federal health care reform legislation.

Parnell made the long-expected announcement with state Attorney General Dan Sullivan at a press conference in Juneau.

The White House has said the suit will fail, and that the Justice Department would vigorously fight any challenges. Virginia has filed a separate suit and Oklahoma lawmakers announced Tuesday they would do likewise.

The legal challenges come after a bitterly partisan debate over the bill that raised the ire of many while at the same time hailed by others as landmark reform.

Several weeks ago Parnell asked Sullivan and the state Department of Law to review the legislation. The memo recommends the state join the lawsuit initially brought by Florida's attorney general. Parnell waived his attorney-client privilege to allow the findings to be released.

Parnell said the bill challenges the freedom of Americans, and that it is an unprecedented mandate by the federal government.

Sullivan said it would cost the state about $5,000 to join the lawsuit, according to Florida's deputy attorney general.

Sen. Mark Begich, who voted for the bill, issued a written statement while the Juneau press conference was still under way.

"At a time when Alaska's unemployment rate is at record highs and families are struggling to make ends meet, the administration of Governor Sean Parnell has decided to spend countless hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars on a lawsuit of dubious merit which is unlikely to be successful," he said. "That level of state dollars and resources could be better spent keeping our economy healthy, creating jobs for Alaskans and protecting public safety."

The rest of Alaska's congressional delegation –– Sen. Lisa Murkowski and Rep. Don Young –– voted against the legislation.

This is a developing story. Return to KTUU.com for more information as it becomes available. Contact Channel 2 at [email protected]

And I thought I could not hate Begich more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
-snip-

this................
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-snip-

this................

No surprise  
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you yekimak, Good job Parnell.

Fuck you Begich, you punk bitch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Sen. Mark Begich, who voted for the bill, issued a written statement while the Juneau press conference was still under way.

"At a time when Alaska's unemployment rate is at record highs and families are struggling to make ends meet, the administration of Governor Sean Parnell has decided to spend countless hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars on a lawsuit of dubious merit which is unlikely to be successful," he said. "That level of state dollars and resources could be better spent keeping our economy healthy, creating jobs for Alaskans and protecting public safety."

WTF? This a-hole says we are hurting, out of work, trying to make ends meet, and he goes and votes for a bill that they estimate will cost families an average of another $2000/year for health insurance and companies will have to cut jobs to handle the increase costs. What a hypocrite! We don't even get the benefits until 4 years after the additional taxes the people will have to pay to fund the plan. AT&T and other big companies have determined it will cost them a billion dollars, give or take, EACH. How many jobs are they going to have to cut or how much higher costs are going to be passed on to already cash strapped families to absorb those kind of hits? I'd rather donate $1000 now to repeal the law than pay thousands and thousands in future taxes.

Not to forget that the law reduces the payout for medicare so less doctors will provide it, and they chop $500 billion from medicare to begin with.  46% of polled physicians say they would end their practice if this law came to pass, while the demand for services are going to skyrocket with the added 30 million people to be covered (50% of Americans don't even pay ANY taxes) - good luck getting appointments and service.  Can you say "rationing"?  Canadians can no longer come here to save their lives and get the care they need, they will have to find some other country that doesn't have social medicine.  Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top