Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 5:53:48 PM EDT
What is the current MPD issue sidearm, and long gun(s) if any?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanna say the G23 for the pistol.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's the Glock 22. HI5-0 can chime in. He would know.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Maui cop told me it was a Glock 22 they use for standard use,  and that they are only authorized 40cal glocks for off duty so i guess that narrows it to the 23 and 27.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely G22.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Lucky you guys, we get Ruger P95's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My friend just confirmed with his brother who is MPD, on duty is G22, off duty he says anything that isn't FA or illegal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My friend just confirmed with his brother who is MPD, on duty is G22, off duty he says anything that isn't FA or illegal.

Cool.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, MPD issues the Glock 22 for uniformed duty and Glock 27 for plain clothes work (detectives). They can have supplemental pistols as long as it is a Glock in .40S&W. G22; G23 & G27 are all okay.

As for long guns, department does not issue any unless you are on the Special Response Team (they have Bushmasters/Colts/Benellis/870's). All officers can have a supplemental long gun (AR15 types/870's) as long as they were trained on them and can qualify with them.

Oh yeah, supplemental guns are personally owned guns.

Each department in Hawaii is different in what firearms they allow.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Not to steal this thread but i was talking to a police officer (19 years hpd) the other night and found out a few sad facts. i just met this guy so i duno how accurate his facts are but according to him you have to purchase your own ar(no such thing as a issued ar) and if u get one it has to be a colt. They are also only allowed to use one type of .223 ammo (forgot exactly which one), and this is the part that really made me shake my head, they are given one box of 9mm ammo a year for their duty gun. If they want to practice is all on your own time and money. Even if there are not a lot of shootings in Hawaii these are the guys we depend on to deal with deadly situations. They should be able to get in as much training as they can. Can anyone confirm these as facts?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not to steal this thread but i was talking to a police officer (19 years hpd) the other night and found out a few sad facts. i just met this guy so i duno how accurate his facts are but according to him you have to purchase your own ar(no such thing as a issued ar) and if u get one it has to be a colt. They are also only allowed to use one type of .223 ammo (forgot exactly which one), and this is the part that really made me shake my head, they are given one box of 9mm ammo a year for their duty gun. If they want to practice is all on your own time and money. Even if there are not a lot of shootings in Hawaii these are the guys we depend on to deal with deadly situations. They should be able to get in as much training as they can. Can anyone confirm these as facts?

A shotgun, or an AR from the districts arsenal may be checked out prior to shift.  Purchase of a personal shotgun or AR for a duty weapon is authorized for HPD.  As far as AR/M4 platforms, currently only the Colt is authorized, being the AR15 variants, no M4.  Only 1 division within HPD uses the Colt M4A1.  There are 3 other potential AR/M4 makers in the final process for approved use.  HPD issues Federal TRU .223, 55gr, Hi-Shok SP ammo.  As far as the duty rounds, a single new box is issued at qualifications, this ammo is accountable for.  If an officer wishes to practice, the range tries to supply officers with practice ammo, which is different from duty ammo, so it is not on the officers own dime, but it is generally their own time.  Some specialized divisions / units have firearms training time which is a part of regular duty time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top