Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 10:52:23 AM EDT
due to packing.org not working, i figured i'd ask here, and maybe find some help.  i'm traveling to texas, and i'm trying to find out if they will recognize my ACHP, so i can legally carry my firearm concealed while there.  can anyone help me?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
A little FWIW info

Q: Where can I not take my handgun?
A: Handguns and other weapons can not be carried at schools or on school buses, at polling places, in courts and court offices, at racetracks and at secured airport areas. The law also specifically prohibits handguns from businesses where alcohol is sold if more than half of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption, and from locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place. You may not carry handguns in hospitals or nursing homes, amusement parks, places of worship or at government meetings if signs are posted prohibiting them. Businesses also may post signs prohibiting handguns on their premises based on criminal trespass laws.
Q: Do private property owners have the right to exclude license holders from their property?
A: Yes. Private property owners may give notice excluding license holders from carrying concealed handguns. If you carry a concealed handgun on posted property, you can be charged with criminal trespass by a license holder. The charge is a Class A misdemeanor, and if you are convicted, your license will be revoked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
And to answer your question...
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/search/searchresults.asp?type=cache&q=cache:http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm+CHL+states&output=xml_no_dtd&site=ER&ie=UTF-8&client=DPSInternet&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=DPSInternet

Texas Establishes Concealed Handgun License Agreements
With Other States  

November 30, 2005 New Mexico
See note below
November 18, 2005 Washington
Unilateral Proclamation, see note below  
November 18, 2005 New Jersey
November 18, 2005 Massachusetts
November 18, 2005 Maryland
November 18, 2005 California
November 2, 2005 Indiana
November 1, 2005 Delaware
September 26, 2005 Alaska
September 6, 2005 South Dakota
See note below
September 6, 2005 Missouri
See note below
September 1, 2005 Virginia
September 1, 2005 Michigan
See note below  
May 4, 2005 Connecticut
April 14, 2005 Iowa
March 24, 2005 Nevada
February 28, 2005 Pennsylvania
February 25, 2005 South Carolina  
February 4, 2005 North Dakota
December 29, 2004 Colorado
November 29, 2004 Montana
November 22, 2004 Georgia
September 7, 2004 Mississippi
September 3, 2004 Utah
August 9, 2004 Idaho
April 19, 2004 North Carolina
July 25, 2002  Wyoming
August 30, 2000 Kentucky
August 30, 2000 Tennessee
August 28, 2000 Florida
September 15, 1999 Arizona
August 31, 1998 Louisiana
July 24, 1998 Oklahoma
February 19, 1998 Arkansas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas Establishes Concealed Handgun License Unilateral Proclamation With Other States  
November 30, 2005  New Mexico
Note: Effective November 30, 2005 New Mexico has issued a finding that officially recognizes Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses in New Mexico. Texas has recognized New Mexico's licenses since December 29, 2004. This has the effect of reciprocity between New Mexico and Texas.

November 18, 2005 Washington
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from Washington to legally carry in Texas. Washington license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Washington.

November 18, 2005 New Jersey  
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from New Jersey to legally carry in Texas. New Jersey license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in New Jersey.

November 18, 2005 Massachusetts
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from Massachusetts to legally carry in Texas. Massachusetts license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Massachusetts.  

November 18, 2005 Maryland
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from Maryland to legally carry in Texas. Maryland license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Maryland.

November 18, 2005 California
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from CaliforniaWashington to legally carry in Texas. California license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in California.

September 6, 2005 South Dakota
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from South Dakota to legally carry in Texas. South Dakota residents will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This has the effect of reciprocity between Texas and South Dakota since South Dakota law recognizes valid licenses issued from other states including Texas.

September 6, 2005 Missouri
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from Missouri to legally carry in Texas. Missouri residents will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This has the effect of reciprocity between Texas and Missouri since Missouri law recognizes valid licenses issued from other states including Texas.
NOTE: MISSOURI "PERMIT" IS ACTUALLY A REGULAR MISSOURI DRIVER'S LICENSE OR NONDRIVER'S LICENSE ISSUED WITH A "CONCEALED CARRY ENDORSEMENT" ON THE FACE OF THE LICENSE. THE ENDORSEMENT APPEARS IN RED LETTERS ABOVE THE LICENSE PHOTO AND READS, "CCW UNTIL (EXPIRATION DATE OF ENDORSEMENT)."

September 1, 2005 Michigan
Note: In accordance with Mich. Comp. Laws § 28.432a(f), the State of Michigan may honor valid out-of-state permits held only by residents of a reciprocal state. Therefore, Texas concealed handgun licenses issued to non-resident Texans under V.T.C.A. Government Code § 411.173 are not eligible for reciprocal recognition under this Agreement.

May 4, 2005 Connecticut
Note: Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with permanent (plastic) concealed handgun licenses from Connecticut to legally carry in Texas. Connecticut permanent license holders will be required to follow texas law while carrying in this state. Temporary (paper) Connecticut concealed handgun licenses are not recognized under this proclamation. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Connecticut.

April 14, 2005 Iowa
Note: Texas Governor Rick Perry signed a unilateral proclamation recognizing Iowa Concealed Handgun Licenses on April 14, 2005 allowing citizens with concealed handgun licenses issued by Iowa to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas. This is not a reciprocal agreement, therefore, Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses holders may NOT carry concealed handguns in Iowa.

March 24, 2005 Nevada
Note: Texas Governor Rick Perry signed a unilateral proclamation recognizing Nevada Concealed Handgun Licenses on March 24, 2005 allowing citizens with concealed handgun licenses issued by Nevada to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas. This is not a reciprocal agreement, therefore, Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses holders may NOT carry concealed handguns in Nevada. This is the second “unilateral” proclamation in addition to eighteen reciprocity agreements. The handgun license reciprocity list includes Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota and South Carolina.

November 30, 2005  New Mexico
Note:Effective November 30, 2005 New Mexico has issued a finding that officially recognizes Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses in New Mexico. Texas has recognized New Mexico's licenses since December 29, 2004. This has the effect of reciprocity between New Mexico and Texas.

Downloadable Forms

You can contact the Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau at :

Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau
Texas Department of Public Safety
P O Box 4143
Austin, Texas 78765-4143
Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
Helpline: (800) 224-5744
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
guess we both have too much free time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually I never seem to have enough, I just cant sleep well

When the time comes for me to need free time, I don't have any
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top