Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 10:27:13 PM EDT
Any reasonable FFL in Hawaii. Most retail store charge an arm and a leg for transfers.
I know some people who are members of clubs were they can tranfer for free or super cheap thru  FFL instroctors , other club members, etc..

However, a reasonable fee is accecptable. Been using ...xxx... for some time now $xx  per transfer per item.. but the drive is just to far.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The cheapest I've found is Security Equip and WGS.  If you know anyone cheaper, even if I gotta pay for a membership, hit me up.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The cheapest I've found is Security Equip and WGS.  If you know anyone cheaper, even if I gotta pay for a membership, hit me up.  

Thanks.

Kaneohe Gun Shop was 35 + extra depending on value of the gun.  I miss Texas, $15 transfers were the norm.  If I ever get a chance to open my shop, I promise all of you $15 transfers, youre just gonna have to wait 14 years til I retire first...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kaneohe Gun Shop was 35 + extra depending on value of the gun.  I miss Texas, $15 transfers were the norm.  If I ever get a chance to open my shop, I promise all of you $15 transfers, youre just gonna have to wait 14 years til I retire first...hr

Hurry up and get old!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kaneohe Gun Shop was 35 + extra depending on value of the gun.  I miss Texas, $15 transfers were the norm.  If I ever get a chance to open my shop, I promise all of you $15 transfers, youre just gonna have to wait 14 years til I retire first...

Hurry up and get old!

Im hurrying, Im hurrying...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Only bitch ass Lib thing in Hawaii is a law barring an FFL in a residential zone. The law was passed behide closed doors back in the early 90s. Thier arn't many grandfatherd  FFL operating out of their homes nowdays . All new FFL must be in a commercial or industrial zones. So its these FFL that i want to look for.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Only bitch ass Lib thing in Hawaii is a law barring an FFL in a residential zone. The law was passed behide closed doors back in the early 90s. Thier arn't many grandfatherd  FFL operating out of their homes nowdays . All new FFL must be in a commercial or industrial zones. So its these FFL that i want to look for.

I did meet one old guy at the silouhette side of kokohead. He sits and shoots a revolver iron sights at the far targets up the hill all day long. He has an FFL (he may be one of these grandfathered) and I know I have his card somewhere. I wish I could be of more help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
"Ready on the Right" is in Kailua

Check their add in the HRA news letter
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Ready on the Right" is in Kailua

Check their add in the HRA news letter

Albert C. Mongeon, Owner
Ready on the Right
301 Kailua Road
PO Box 543
Kailua, HI 96734

phone: 808-261-6588
fax: 808-261-6588

Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri, 10:00am-4:00pm Sat, closed Sun, and by appointment
Transfer fee: $25.00 per firearm

Al is one of the good guys.  Mails out his FFL without making you pay the transfer fee first.  One of the grandfathered ones.  If I didn't work at Magnum, I would get everything I buy transfered through him.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So whats Magnum's excuse for $50, even to military and LEO customers?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
even to military and LEO customers?

Why should they get a break unlike the rest of us average citizens?

I know the retail ffl's here are all pretty high, like $35 and up, mostly up.

I know security equipment used to be $45 for up to 3 firearms.  Now that aint  too bad a deal.  But who brings in 3 firearms at once?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So whats Magnum's excuse for $50, even to military and LEO customers?

Correction:  $50 or 10% of amount paid for gun, whichever is higher.  In other words: if you bought the gun for over $500, you are paying 10% of the purchase price.  Had a gentleman pay over $300 recently to have an SR-25 transfered through the store because the price he paid to the seller on the mainland was over $3,000.

There are a couple of reasons Ready on the Right will charge $25 to transfer an SR-25 and Magnum will charger over $300 for the same gun:

#1 is overhead.  I'm not sure exactly what the figure is, but rent for just the land that the store sits on is between $10K-$15K per month.  Salary for employees.  Mandatory health care for any employee who works over 20 hours a week.  A shooting range that cost $500,000 to build.  Art and Brian built, mostly by themselves and at a cost only to the store, the ENTIRE shop that you see now.  An electric bill of at least $1k per month that shows no signs going anywhere but up, up, and even further up.  Water.  Sewer.  Website www.magnum50.com that costs a few hundred a month to keep running.  Maintenance... and on and on and on.  We like to joke during the past few months when the temps in Kakaako are almost unbearable that we should charge customers who pace around the store not buying anything for hours at a time an air conditioning usage fee.  Again, the word is OVERHEAD!  Ready on the Right has almost no overhead.  He is one of the smart and lucky ones who was grandfathered in as a out-of-the-house FFL.  Al bought his house in Kailua long ago, when you could actually get one for under $1M.  He is the only employee.  No website.  No range.  

#2 is the fact that people like convienience.  They look in the yellow pages under "gun" and call the shop with the biggest ad.  They go to the shop closest to where they live.  They go to a shop with a range so they can shoot their gun while they wait for the 14 day waiting period to transpire.  They either don't have or don't want access to the internet to find stuff like this out on forums like this.  You would not believe how many people do not use the internet for researching these kind of things.  By reading what I am writing here, you have taken a step that many people will never take in their lifetimes.  It is too much work to learn to use the internet efficiently.  People pay for the ease of going to one store for all their gun needs.  You can't argue with the fact that Magnum provides for those needs an order of magnitude greater than any other gun shop in the state - but at a cost.

#3 is economics.  Have you ever taken a class in this subject?  Aside from supply and demand is the cold hard fact of the price of goods and services:  the price of a good or service is whatever people will pay for it.  If people didn't pay $50 or 10% for a FFL transfer, Magnum would cease to charge that amount.  But guess what?  PEOPLE PAY IT ALL THE TIME!  That "Magnum's excuse" for charging that amount.  That is the only reason.  It is not about greed.  It is not about taking gun enthusiasts for every penny we can get.  It is about buisness.  It is about economics.  It is the reason Magnum has grown from a VW accessory store to the largest gun store in the state.  It is the reason Magnum has the only indoor shooting range in the state.  Arthur Ong (the owner and el Presidente) became a gun enthusiast AFTER he went in to the gun buisness, not before.  That is the reason, I believe, that Magnum has succeeded as much as it has.

Disclaimer:  I DO NOT set any of the prices at Magnum.  I was an enthusiast before becoming an employee.  Not a day goes by that I don't wish I could sell stuff for less or do FFL transfers for free.  That's the reason it's not up to me.  Besides, I don't want to loose my employee discount, range privilages, or free FFL transfers.    I really hope I don't get in trouble for posting this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Now if Art will just bring in some 5.7 ammo. he'll see my $ more often.

But i still would pay more than $35/ tranfers or percentage of sale.

Best yet some seller with strip the firearm and mail all the rest of the parts / acc. to your house and just the striped reciever to the FFL. (shhhhh)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Darealickt, they dont frequent the forums, do they?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Art's on his computer all day long every time i walk in. Seems just looking at his spread sheets. and isn't cruzing the net.
Truthfully he is just charging too much for his FFL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Art's on his computer all day long every time i walk in. Seems just looking at his spread sheets. and isn't cruzing the net.
Truthfully he is just charging too much for his FFL.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  One of the great things about our economic system is that you have choices.  If you don't have choices, it's called a monopoly.  One thing is for certain:  Magnum does have a monopoly when it comes to private indoor ranges.  However, Magnum does not have a monopoly on Oahu FFL transfers.  That is why Ready on the Right probably does 10 times more FFL transfers than Magnum, and will do even more now that everyone who reads this thread knows he is the cheapest.  He fills a particular niche and Magnum fills another one altogether.  Art and Magnum are not out to do more FFL transfers than anyone else on Oahu.  We are quickly becoming the premire law enforcement supply store on the island, and I am more than happy to be a part of it... even if we do charge "too much" for FFL transfers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#16]
 To defend magnum to a point, everything is more expensive in Hawaii, we know this.

Main reason? there are no home based FFL on Hawaii or very few who had before the laws changed. Cheapest transfer ive found was $35.  Ive paid magnums $50 for convenience and to listen to Dare talk about his sig

In anycase, lobby to allow FFL in residential areas and be thankful we can even still own firearms in Hawaii.

www.hawaiirifleassn.org/

These people are the ones to contact to be heard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#17]
My ffl here charges $50.00 a transaction.  He charges that much irregardless of the purchase price or amount of transfers.  Last time I picked up four stag lowers from eagle firearms he still charged me $50.00.  He runs his out of his house, must be one of the lucky ones who got grandfathered in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Albert C. Mongeon, Owner
Ready on the Right
301 Kailua Road
PO Box 543
Kailua, HI 96734

phone: 808-261-6588
fax: 808-261-6588

Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri, 10:00am-4:00pm Sat, closed Sun, and by appointment
Transfer fee: $25.00 per firearm

Al is one of the good guys.  Mails out his FFL without making you pay the transfer fee first.

I have my latest purchase en route to him now.  I spoke with him and he sounded down to earth and spoke with respect.  He's got my business.  His business card also metions that he does "Arms and Ammunition Sales and Services".  I got a signed copy of his FFL mailed to me a day after I spoke with him.  His email is [email protected] .  I did have to call him after a I didn't get a reply email.  

10/6/2005:  Follow up FYI.  Just picked up my first FFL'ed rifle from Al.  His home was easy to find and had a place to park.  The rifle was set up for inspection and we had a good conversation while the paperwork was filled out.  The whole process took about 15 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top