Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 9:07:26 AM EDT
My wife's here on work and I tagged along. I'm staying at the Radisson Hotel Waikiki Prince Kuhio.

Any recommendations on what to scope out while I'm here?
I'm told the Pearl Harbor .mil exchange has some of the best deals and the flea market at the stadium is somethign to check out for shopping as well.

We'll be doing some snorkeling, checking out Pearl Harbor, the Jermane Luau, and maybe a volcano or something. We're not here all that long so we're not going to try to cram a bunch of crap.

If anyone here want's to grab a drink let me know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Diamond Head Hike
Waikiki Aquarium
Bishop Museum
Iolani Palace Tour(only royal palace in the U.S.)
Arizona Memorial(go early like 8am or you'll wait all day!)
USS Missouri Tour
Stadium swap meet(wed, sat & sun)
Polynesian Culture Center(this is and all day thing)
North Shore (drive around the island)

Eat, eat some more, then eat some more.  "In Hawaii we don't eat until we're full.  We eat until we fall down!!"
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I advise you not to go to the aquarium.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Pearl Harbor and its tours.
Snorkel at Hanama Bay.
I also highly reccomend booking the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Tours desk at your hotel will set you up. Hope you enjoy your time here.

ETA: no active volcanoes on oahu im afraid. Helo tours are amazing as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the deal with Red Dirt shirts?
I like the shirts for their color and the fact that the material seems somehow heavier... just don't want to buy a shirt that is somehow esoteric with me not being in on it.

Went to the flea market at the stadium. For the most part a waste of time. We bought the usual crappy souvenier shirts for family and I picked up a "Hawaiian shirt"... same crap every step of the way for the most part though. I kept walking thinking we'd come to the end of the same crap and breakthrough to a cool stuff section.

Might snorkel tomorrow.
I think we're going to eat at the Jimmy Buffet place up the road tonight.
We went to the Germains Lu Au last night. Good time, but it was a little long. I was falling asleep on the bus ride home. They could have cut it about 30-45 minutes shorter and been just as good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Many areas of the island are composed of red dirt rather then brown dirt. Its a fertile soil but stains everything, including the "Red Dirt Shirt"!

Don't pass up the snorkeling, just be sure to go early.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many areas of the island are composed of red dirt rather then brown dirt. Its a fertile soil but stains everything, including the "Red Dirt Shirt"!

Bought some red dirt shirts... I likes'em. Supposedly their blessed by a priest or something "bringing good luck to the wearer".
Dirt Shirts

Went snorkeling. Pretty cool. The reefs weren't as vibrantly colorful as we expected. Didn't see any turtles or any other cool sea life... just the common fish. Still enjoyed it though.

Went to Pearl Harbor yesterday. Saw the Arizona... amazing. Took pictures of the Missouri and Bowfin but didn't tour them.

Went to the Dole Pineapple plant. Lame, but we had a good time mochingthe Pineapple Express train ride tour of the plantation with the goofy songs they sing.

Drove around the island. Wanted to see North Shore. Wasn't anything too spectacular unless we missed something... we were in the car the whole time since it was pouring.

Lots of pictures. I'll work on posting them soon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bought some red dirt shirts... I likes'em. Supposedly their blessed by a priest or something "bringing good luck to the wearer".
Dirt Shirts

Went snorkeling. Pretty cool. The reefs weren't as vibrantly colorful as we expected. Didn't see any turtles or any other cool sea life... just the common fish. Still enjoyed it though.

Went to Pearl Harbor yesterday. Saw the Arizona... amazing. Took pictures of the Missouri and Bowfin but didn't tour them.

Went to the Dole Pineapple plant. Lame, but we had a good time mochingthe Pineapple Express train ride tour of the plantation with the goofy songs they sing.

Drove around the island. Wanted to see North Shore. Wasn't anything too spectacular unless we missed something... we were in the car the whole time since it was pouring.

Lots of pictures. I'll work on posting them soon.

You back on the mainland now? If not I think you covered most for oahu You need to go further out for turtles. If you are still here take the helicoptor tour, and or look into outer island tours. Each island is so very different. Otherwise IM me and we'll go shoot

ETA: North shore is shit this time of year, come back during winter for the 20 ft+ waves and surfing competitions. Or dont and say you did! Space A travel is pretty easy to get there though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You back on the mainland now? If not I think you covered most for oahu You need to go further out for turtles. If you are still here take the helicoptor tour, and or look into outer island tours. Each island is so very different. Otherwise IM me and we'll go shoot

I'm here until Saturday morning.
Probably not going to be island hopping because my wife would get bent if I went without her while she worked.
I'll probably just lay around by the pool or on the beach and work on my skin cancer.
Might check out Hilo Hatties and some other shopping. Definitely planning on doing lunch at Hooters one day this week. While I'm there I'm going to exchange a couple of my Dirt Shirts for larger sizes... they seem to run kinda small.

Aside from that I'm just gonna take it easy and treat this like a vacation. Relax, ya know?

Where do you go shooting?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm here until Saturday morning.
Probably not going to be island hopping because my wife would get bent if I went without her while she worked.
I'll probably just lay around by the pool or on the beach and work on my skin cancer.
Might check out Hilo Hatties and some other shopping. Definitely planning on doing lunch at Hooters one day this week. While I'm there I'm going to exchange a couple of my Dirt Shirts for larger sizes... they seem to run kinda small.

Aside from that I'm just gonna take it easy and treat this like a vacation. Relax, ya know?

Where do you go shooting?

Hooters is shit, you see more skin at the beach. If you are going to be at aloha tower market though have lunch at gordon bierch, damn good beer.

Here till saturday hmm, Ill try to come with some stuff for you all. Do the helicoptor tour from waikiki though, its $100+ per but simply amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top