Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2004 12:10:36 AM EDT
I have another hair up my ass for a new hobby.  Would like to make a custom set of grips for my 1911.  Have looked for books on how to and such without success.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Chris
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not too hard.  I did a highly contoured pair for my Buckmark.  The most important part is getting the holes PRECISELY lined up.  I have a special drill bit for counter sinking cutlers rivets on knife handles that was purfect so I used that (unfortunately I didn't have a drill LOL so I wore out my finger tips doing it.)
Should be fun and you end up with something nobody else has.
Josh

Edited to add--The link Shadowblade put up is definately the best source I have ever found on building your own pistol grips.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, who knows maybe in two or three years I will have a pair done.
Thanks for the link, off to study up
Chris
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you guys point me in the right direction for blanks/scales?
Thanks
Chris
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Dave there at 1911 pistol grips might be willing to sell you some.  I am going to be getting some scales for knife handles from him.  If that doesn't work contact Larry at galleryhardwoods.com.  He is a great guy and has really premium woods.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If you use spalted maple you might want to get it stabilized.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you stabilize it?
Chris
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me see what I can dig up for you on the stabilizing.  I do know off hand that you are probably best to have someone else do it for you.
You might check out the scales at http://www.arizonaironwood.com/images/Scales/Pistol%20Grips/WP101.jpg
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How do you stabilize it?
Chris

www.hutproducts.com has some stuff to stabilize woods......its an acrylic of some sort you let the wood soak in for a while.  Their website is geared toward penmakers, but it has the stuff.

I think the stuff you want is polycryl
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#11]
These guys will stabilize: http://www.stabilizedwood.com/price.shtml#customerwood
I think galleryhardwoods.com will stabilize.  I am still looking for where I found a kit to do it yourself, it was on a scandinavian supply site and they can take a while to get through particularly if you only speak english!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Great topic. I will use that link.

You were asking were to buy wood. I've been buying stabilized wood from Bill at Arizona Silhouette. He is awesome and always throws something extra into the shipment. He has his woods mechanically stabilized. I have several unused (yet) pieces here at the house. He was also a comp shooter in his past life.

www.arizonasilhouettes.com/

Also, if you would like to try ivory, I have a bunch of mammoth ivory as well. Perhaps we can do some trading.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top