Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 3:05:16 PM EDT
Myself and 2 buddies are coming up in Aug. 2005, one of the things we want to do is fish for halibut in Kenai for a day and then do a backcountry flyfish/camp trip for a few days somewhere nearby.  Anybody know of a reputable charter for halibut? Also, where can we get in some decent salmon fishing  close to Kenai?  
I'm sure I'll have more questions as we plan more.

One more thing just came to mind, were  packing a .454 Casull revolver and a Marlin 45.70 guide gun for bear protection.  Good enough? or do you have a better suggestion.
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi fireguy
Sounds as if you are going to play from the Kenai area. The Halibut and Salt Water Salmon Charters operate out of Ninilchik, Anchor Point and Homer (they are located just South of Kenai). August is probably the best time as the Silvers are just starting to come in and most of the Tourists have left. When the Kings and Reds are in this area is a madhouse (peak tourist season is July). There is very good flyfishing in any direction for Bows, Silvers, and Dollys during August. Some years temps will drop and will have an early fall when this happens a few Steelhead will start showing up in late August.
The 45-70 and the 454 Casull are very good choices and are both very common in the area, my Bush Guns are a 45-70 Levergun and a Model 83 Freedom Arms chambered for the 454 Casull. Heavy loadings with heavy cast bullets for both cartridges are readily available locally ( I can send you Data if you handload). I know several people in the fishing business and can give you a starting point if you wish. If I can help contact me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Rabon - thanks for the info. If you have a name of a decent charter boat captain I'd appreciate it. Like I said, it'll probably be just a one day charter for halibut and several days in the back country for salmon.  Also if you know any good fishing areas around Talkeetna I'd appreciate the info. We may spend some time up there but were not sure about that yet. I can't wait to get up there! Been wanting to do this for a long time.
Also trying to find some info on caribou hunting, I may tack a short hunt onto the end of my  trip. I'm looking on the web for info but some first hand advice and experience is always better. Know any decent and affordable guides?
Thanks again.  -- Mark
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
fireguy
I sent you an IM, I don't know much about computers. Did it get there?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
fireguy
I sent you an IM, I don't know much about computers. Did it get there?

Yes, Thanks for the info. I'll be getting in touch with your contact. If I have any more questions I'll be sure and get in touch with you. Thanks again.  -- Mark
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Mahays river boats.  They will take you to Clear Creek and you can catch Silvers unitl your arms fall off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Check out Mahays river boats.  They will take you to Clear Creek and you can catch Silvers unitl your arms fall off.

thanks, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
fireguy,

Driving through, around or over WA?

I'll probably hook up with my two friends out in Denver, (that's where they live), and fly straight to Anchorage from Denver.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Searcherfortruth, a member here, just came back from a trip he took.  He was happy, caught a lot of fish, ask him about the charters and B&B's he stayed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top