Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2020 5:13:01 PM EDT
Considering the rapidly changing legislative landscape, we had a pretty good year.

Richard Rodgers, the IFC volunteer lobbyist wrote this up and it was published today, June 28, 2020.  

It is a great history lesson in how much work is done writing the bill's and getting our measures passed.

Dave Funk
President, Iowa Firearm Coalition.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to see we keep winning. One thing that still needs some work is this coyote hunting bill SF537. I see that IR is restricted still while thermal is not. It is like saying Thermal Lives Matter. This idea that hunters with IR are more likely to poach a deer while a hunter with thermal is ridiculous and extremely derogatory and discriminatory SF2502 puts some meat on the bones and hopefully shits down the "opinion" of Tom Miller. 716 is a good thing. As for the Family Defense Act I do not see it passing with schools a part of it. Even if it did pass the next Democrat legislature would gut the entire bill. While it may happen anyway it definitely will with schools. I get the reasoning behind it but people aren't going to easily back it and for many legislators won't just for political survival. Good work but we have some work to do yet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad to see we keep winning. One thing that still needs some work is this coyote hunting bill SF537. I see that IR is restricted still while thermal is not. It is like saying Thermal Lives Matter. This idea that hunters with IR are more likely to poach a deer while a hunter with thermal is ridiculous and extremely derogatory and discriminatory SF2502 puts some meat on the bones and hopefully shits down the "opinion" of Tom Miller. 716 is a good thing. As for the Family Defense Act I do not see it passing with schools a part of it. Even if it did pass the next Democrat legislature would gut the entire bill. While it may happen anyway it definitely will with schools. I get the reasoning behind it but people aren't going to easily back it and for many legislators won't just for political survival. Good work but we have some work to do yet.
View Quote

Your example is why the pro-gun majority must be retained this fall. If we can get the Freedom Amendment passed through the next session and onto the ballot, the Iowa Constitution would prevent any future anti-gun majority from gutting our work.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone give me a summary of HF716 that was just passed?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Allows for supervised youth to hunt deer with handguns, eliminating the previous prohibition for those under age sixteen
   Requires the Natural Resources Commission to use established Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives definitions of firearms when setting rules (In 2017, the NRC outlawed the hunting of deer with AR-style pistols through a tortuous and obscure new rule.)
   Removes archaic and unnecessary language from the statute and aligns it with NRC rules
   Clarifies and simplifies the ammunition allowed to be used in handguns (minimum four-inch barrel) in the deer hunt. Ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than three hundred fifty thousandths of one inch and no larger than five hundred thousandths of one inch and with a published or calculated muzzle energy of five hundred-foot pounds or higher will be legal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Perfect, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Any updates on the bill that would allow you to leave a gun in your car while at work without repercussions from your employer? This is something that directly affects me being a Mid Am contractor
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any updates on the bill that would allow you to leave a gun in your car while at work without repercussions from your employer? This is something that directly affects me being a Mid Am contractor
View Quote

That was dead before they broke for Covid. Schools are not a popular subject and Employer representatives had issues but I don't remember just what they were anymore.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Allows for supervised youth to hunt deer with handguns, eliminating the previous prohibition for those under age sixteen
   Requires the Natural Resources Commission to use established Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives definitions of firearms when setting rules (In 2017, the NRC outlawed the hunting of deer with AR-style pistols through a tortuous and obscure new rule.)
   Removes archaic and unnecessary language from the statute and aligns it with NRC rules
   Clarifies and simplifies the ammunition allowed to be used in handguns (minimum four-inch barrel) in the deer hunt. Ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet with a maximum diameter of no less than three hundred fifty thousandths of one inch and no larger than five hundred thousandths of one inch and with a published or calculated muzzle energy of five hundred-foot pounds or higher will be legal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still straight wall only, or did they get rid of that? It'd be nice to try out my .35 Remington Contender barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Still straight wall only, the DNR is working on the new rules that comply with legislative intent.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still straight wall only, the DNR is working on the new rules that comply with legislative intent.
View Quote

Figured that was the case. With the 500 ftlbs requirement it looks like they might have screwed us though. .45 auto has been legal as long as handguns have-and it's below 500. Not that it's a good choice for the job, but it's been legal close to 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Figured that was the case. With the 500 ftlbs requirement it looks like they might have screwed us though. .45 auto has been legal as long as handguns have-and it's below 500. Not that it's a good choice for the job, but it's been legal close to 20 years.
View Quote

Is it regulated now by "standard" loading numbers? There are places making lightweight .45 Auto over 500 FPE, and .45 Super is all over that.

But really, everyone wanting an auto pistol for deer should be using 10mm
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is it regulated now by "standard" loading numbers? There are places making lightweight .45 Auto over 500 FPE, and .45 Super is all over that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point on the 10, and I have one of those too. Just noticed the energy requirement and wondered how many people there are who have been using a .45 with whatever hollowpoints they can find, and will suddenly have to research numbers on their loads.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top