Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2020 12:29:44 AM EDT
I have a question about turn lanes in Iowa, specially two lanes which turn into three.  Here is a picture of a right hand turn on the westbound I-80/35 Merle Hay exit.

If you are in Lane A, which lane are you legally obliged to turn into - 1 or 2?
If you are in Lane B, which lane are you legally obliged to turn into - 2 or 3?

" />
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the laws, but I presume that everyone is going to ignore them and accidentally kill me, so I play it as defensively as possible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
A-1
B-2

You should turn into the closest available lane, leaving outside lanes available for other traffic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You turn into the same lane you are in. Like was stated above. A goes to 1  B goes to 2.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about the laws, but I presume that everyone is going to ignore them and accidentally kill me, so I play it as defensively as possible.
View Quote
I'm assuming you are using the word "accidentally" with some degree of sarcasm attached because if you ignore a traffic law, that would be intentional not accidental.  What happens after that would be considered to be an intentional consequence of your action.  On the other hand your belief that everyone around you may be an idiot and and could kill you is spot-on valid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm assuming you are using the word "accidentally" with some degree of sarcasm attached because if you ignore a traffic law, that would be intentional not accidental.  What happens after that would be considered to be an intentional consequence of your action.  On the other hand your belief that everyone around you may be an idiot and and could kill you is spot-on valid.  
View Quote
You're right about me using the incorrect word. The right one is probably "negligently", not "intentionally", just like a negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  4 out of 5 times that I try to follow the law, I have to take the far left lane to avoid the guy going from the outside lane to the middle lane.  I thought maybe I was wrong...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
In a previous life I covered DOZENS of accidents at that intersection.  At one time it was supposedly the busiest intersection in the entire state.  I'm sure that changed a long time ago with all the growth in the DSM area.  When they redesigned that intersection it helped but I'm sure at 3PM today it will look like it needs to be redesigned again.  Too many cars with too many aggressive idiots operating them.  Some things never change.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top