Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 5/30/2019 10:21:28 AM EDT
After 6 years we're finally moving back to Iowa! So excited, and overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done. Moving with 3 kids and 3 dogs is a terrible idea. Of course, moving 2 years ago from a house with a 40x60 barn to a house with a 3 car garage sucked. My riding lawn mower will get to mow more than a 1/4 acre lot again.... glad I didn't get rid of it as ridiculous as a rider on a 1/4 lot is.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
good times!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks sep, as a reliable source of info... Moving with a suppressor do I need to fill out forms with the atf?
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it and assuming your NFA items are legal in Iowa.
When you move the ATF wants you to update them with the permanent location where your NFA firearms will be stored.  The ATF’s change of address form is ATF Form 5320.20.   If you are moving interstate you need to be careful.
If the only NFA firearms that you own are silencers, you may file your change of address form after you move.  However, for any other type of NFA firearm, such as a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, etc., you must file your change of address form with the ATF before you move.  After you receive the approved change of address form back from the ATF in the mail, then you can move these types of NFA firearms across state lines.

I'm not a lawyer and do not play one on TV, so I advise you talk to the ATF directly to confirm what your options are.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, there's a big disagreement weather or not you need to fill it out, supposedly its not required for suppressors and since you can travel with them without approval... idk
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
change of address is what the last examiner that was out here at the shop advised me.  of course, i always prefer to see the written regulation, as that's safest.  iirc, it's a 5320.20 form and you can do so before or after you move with cans.  everything else is before if moving across state lines.  within state, you can do before or after.

personally, i'd file it before you moved, as you have no reason not to.  safest bet...  besides, it only takes 3 minutes to fill out their bullshit form.  so,,,  why not?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Why you moving back to IA after such a short time if I may ask?  I'd actually like to do the opposite and move to KS. I spend a couple weeks a year in northern KS and I really like the area, good deer hunting and some really nice sporting clays courses. Only thing they don't have is pheasant hunting. I've checked into similar jobs there but they pay is way less than I make here so I guess I'll start.

ETA. it probably doesn't help I love in a part of the state where there is pretty much nothing to do. We have good pheasant hunting but that is about it. The deer hunting is terrible unless you own ground and I have to drive Two hours to shoot sporting clays and an hour just to get to a decent shopping area.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why you moving back to IA after such a short time if I may ask?  I'd actually like to do the opposite and move to KS. I spend a couple weeks a year in northern KS and I really like the area, good deer hunting and some really nice sporting clays courses. Only thing they don't have is pheasant hunting. I've checked into similar jobs there but they pay is way less than I make here so I guess I'll start.

ETA. it probably doesn't help I love in a part of the state where there is pretty much nothing to do. We have good pheasant hunting but that is about it. The deer hunting is terrible unless you own ground and I have to drive Two hours to shoot sporting clays and an hour just to get to a decent shopping area.
View Quote
We spend a lot of time traveling back to Iowa every month. Its where our family is, including a few thousand acres of uncles farms. We live in Olathe, KS so a suburb of Kansas City, I hate its too big. too many ass hats on the road and everywhere else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We spend a lot of time traveling back to Iowa every month. Its where our family is, including a few thousand acres of uncles farms. We live in Olathe, KS so a suburb of Kansas City, I hate its too big. too many ass hats on the road and everywhere else.
View Quote
bring me back pair of olathe boots on your way...  love those things.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
They're in Texas
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top