Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2019 11:29:57 PM EDT
Living in Illinois currently.  I will be retiring in a few months, but my wife is still working.  She is a nurse in Illinois and it would be easier for her to just work in the state.

I'm interested in moving to Iowa or a surrounding state.  We come from a rural community and would like to find something similar. Our town is about 800 people, I'm looking for rural or small towns within 30-40 drive from a hospital or nursing opportunity.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:48:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Moved to Ames from the Peoria area in 2017, been there best thing I've ever done other than marry my fantastic wife. What do you want to know? Where you live now?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We have family in annawan Illinois.  My wife is willing to move, but it must be close enough to visit without much of a drive.

I’d like to be close to the quad cities, but want to live in the country or small town.

I would like to be close to Illinois so my wife could just cross the river to work.

I guess I’m just needing recommendations for decent little towns in the area.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in the SE close enuff to Iowa City if I want to vist/shop/concerts but far enough I cant smell their liberal bullshit in Johnson county. There would be a lot of nursing jobs in the area
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd probably look more towards Iowa City. I have a feeling that IL's minimum wage increase will raise the market wage around the QC area making everything more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, still looking. Wife is on board and is willing to move. I guess it comes down to what passes in Illinois.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Try one of the small towns around the Iowa side of the Quad Cities.  Plenty of medical/nursing opportunities in the QC and the hospitals also have rural clinics in the smaller communities.  Gun laws are pretty good and getting better.
Steve
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Steve
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have family in annawan Illinois.  My wife is willing to move, but it must be close enough to visit without much of a drive.

I’d like to be close to the quad cities, but want to live in the country or small town.

I would like to be close to Illinois so my wife could just cross the river to work.

I guess I’m just needing recommendations for decent little towns in the area.
View Quote
Just a suggestion, but right across the river you have Davenport with the Genesis Health System and you can live about 15 miles away up US 61 they have several smaller towns - in fact one of them, Eldridge, is where LMT is moving too from Illinois. We welcome you to Iowa no matter where you decide on though sir. Permits are very easy to get here as well and register to vote immediately
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No shortage of nursing jobs in Iowa.  Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys

Two weeks for my retirement , need to get my wife to start looking for jobs.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top