Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2017 10:32:31 AM EDT
Good news bad news season.

Good news: five deer down out of seven tags.  Best year ever for my group.  Four does and a button.

Bad news:  we're probably going to lose the ground we got them on.  We've been steadily losing ground for several years.  Our contacts were old farmers who are now retiring and giving up their farm leases.  Our experience in that area (Indianola) is the new renter always snags the hunting rights.  We may be down to two parcels.

Somewhat interesting news:  We ran four rifles this year, three 450 Bushmasters and a 45/70.  Of the deer we put down, three were shotgun kills (one 12 ga and two 20 ga) and the two rifle kills were 450 BM out of a Ruger Scout rifle.  Both of the rifle kills could have been handled by a shotgun.  A 450 BM into a deer's boiler room absolutely destroys the heart.  I've never seen a heart that badly mangled.

All returned safe.  Didn't hear as much shooting this year as in past.  The afternoon was absolutely dead, too warm I imagine.   Will be interesting to see the harvest numbers.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
In Wayne County: Saturday saw a lot of movement and there was a lot of shooting going on (which is why all the movement I'm sure).  Sunday was dead as shit.  1 Buck taken

*not a party hunter.  This was from a tree stand with a .450 BM at ~100 yards.  Would have been a tough shot with a slug gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Got word from my in-laws yesterday that the neighbor's group all tagged out by yesterday afternoon-ten deer between them, plus mine(we do help each other as needed) and we did well in bow season too. No word on whether they got any bucks or used rifles. I know one of them really likes his muzzleloader.

A shotgun would have easily worked on mine as well, but I didn't want to use a shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Wayne County: Saturday saw a lot of movement and there was a lot of shooting going on (which is why all the movement I'm sure).  Sunday was dead as shit.  1 Buck taken

*not a party hunter.  This was from a tree stand with a .450 BM at ~100 yards.  Would have been a tough shot with a slug gun.
View Quote
I hunt in Wayne county. Between Humeston and Corydon.

Shot a big doe.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
11 pointer taken 1st shotgun season.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Not bad!
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I struck out for first season shotgun in NE Iowa.  Hunted from stand with a 450 bushmaster AR-15.  Plenty of does to shoot, just not a good buck, so I passed.
I did get a decent buck early Nov with my bow.

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hunt in Wayne county. Between Humeston and Corydon.

Shot a big doe.
View Quote
Did you see the albino doe?  I saw it and texted the game warden (he lives next to our property down there, that's why I have his contact info), he said there were a couple of them running around that section
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you see the albino doe?  I saw it and texted the game warden (he lives next to our property down there, that's why I have his contact info), he said there were a couple of them running around that section
View Quote
I would love to see pics of that one! The only albino I have seen is the one that lived in the St.Ansgar area in the late 80s/early 90s. She was found dead of old age and mounted, I think she's still on display somewhere in town. Just googled the area, quite a drive but might be worth a photo trip sometime.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
About 28 years ago I saw a piebald doe down in that area.  Actually, it was exactly halfway between Weldon and Woodburn, as the crow flies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would love to see pics of that one! The only albino I have seen is the one that lived in the St.Ansgar area in the late 80s/early 90s. She was found dead of old age and mounted, I think she's still on display somewhere in town. Just googled the area, quite a drive but might be worth a photo trip sometime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One someone posted pics of on a iowa deer hunting fb page pretty cool looking buck

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top