Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2012 4:45:12 PM EDT
OK gents the dates for this years USC are April 22, July 1, Aug 26, and Oct 21. We've come up with a few new challenges for this year. All I will say is know where your rifle hits from combat prone at short (<50 yds ) range. We'll be running the combat match again this year also, and have all new steel targets, so no waiting to replace the clays like last year. Matches will be $15 each, with the $50, 35 &15 prize money for 1st 2nd & 3rd place in the sniper challenge. Plaques will be awarded same as last year. Matches will start at 9am. Directions to the range are: I80 Colfax exit N .5 mile to Fleet Ave, Left on Fleet .9 mi to N4thW, left 1mi to W120thN, left .8mi to gate #946 on the left. This event is being sponsored by Ray Precision Machine. Any questions you can email Stu at [email protected] or Bill at [email protected].
We'll be shooting the chalk challenge again as well, pool chalk at 240 yards.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
So who is planning on making it to one or more Urban sniper shoots, this year?

If bill and i get in touch (we are playing phone tag) i got some good ideas rattling around my head to improve over last year... so it will be even more fun, and you shouldnt miss it.

PhotoThread in case you didnt see the "OVER EXPOSED" photos from the last one
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I broke down and purchased a bolt gun.....need an optic, sling and some other things.  I may be in for mid to late sumer.  Looks like a lot of fun guys.

R
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I forgot ( becoming a trend) because of the new steel targets we're putting a power factor cap of 475 on th rifles, that's a 175 grn bullet at 2700 fps. If you have anything with magnum in the name we'll have a chrono there to verify velocity an pull a bullet for weight. As always you must have a working safety on your weapon. Any questions you can contact Stu or myself at the above emails. Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Any hints on target size, thinking about using my SPR with a ACOG 4x, wondering if I will be handicaping myself to much?
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any hints on target size, thinking about using my SPR with a ACOG 4x, wondering if I will be handicaping myself to much?

all MOA targets

It's going to really center around Marksmanship.

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a reminder
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a question about the reasoning behind the -3 points for leaving brass behind. At first glance it might seem like you were trying to keep AR's from playing? Or is this rule based on something else?
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just a question about the reasoning behind the -3 points for leaving brass behind. At first glance it might seem like you were trying to keep AR's from playing? Or is this rule based on something else?

nope that is what they are doing. Instead of having different divisions.

Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

nope that is what they are doing. Instead of having different divisions.  

I believe the initial idea was evening out Bolt/Semi guns... The one i went to last year a guy had a brass catcher on his AR, so it really makes it a moot point.

I'd say you are better off shooting this with a bolt gun, with the way the rules are set up this time you wont be at any disadvantage shooting a bolt gun and you wont be chasing brass around.

I want to see some familiar faces out there next Sunday
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya the brass rule is to even the playing field between bolt/semi. A semi will have a quicker follow up shot, but will through it's brass farther. Policing the brass is just something expected from a sniper, leaving no trace behind. Hope we see alot of you there, t minus 6 and counting! Oh yea, Joel is correct that a bolt seems to work better on the sniper challenge, semi's can be a little more advantageous in the combat match were you don't have to police your brass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ya the brass rule is to even the playing field between bolt/semi.

Oh yea, Joel is correct that a bolt seems to work better on the sniper challenge, semi's can be a little more advantageous in the combat match were you don't have to police your brass.

These seem to contradictory. The rule is actually creating a bias towards the bolt gun, which flies in complete contradiction to what has been seen in the real world over the last decade. YMMV

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
We don't see it as a bias, as said there have been brass catchers and other techniques used to control brass on semi's. One guy just held his hat over the ejection port. I realize semi's have taken center stage in the current war dynamic, I guess I was more stating my preference for what I liked to shoot in the match, although now that I have my mk12 mod1 clone done that preference is probably going to change to meet the times
OK I reread my post, what I ment was the bolt guns are more poular, more and more what goes through my head doesn't make it to the keyboard the way I intended
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
multiple people have stated that under the current rules bolt guns work better, that is not evening things out, its a bias towards one platform. What makes it even worse is it forces the semi guys to use non standard equipment, brass catcher or hat, to try to overcome game rule and stay relevant time wise. Why not just run multiple divisions if there is that big of difference in time between a semi and bolt?

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... Why not just run multiple divisions if there is that big of difference in time between a semi and bolt?  

My guess is if there were enough shooters in both Bolt/Semi this would be an option... as it stands now splitting the field probably wouldnt work to well.

there is a Par time for the course. you have to finish in that amount of time, you can take half of it or all of it... Looking for hits this time.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

multiple people have stated that under the current rules bolt guns work better, that is not evening things out, its a bias towards one platform. What makes it even worse is it forces the semi guys to use non standard equipment, brass catcher or hat, to try to overcome game rule and stay relevant time wise. Why not just run multiple divisions if there is that big of difference in time between a semi and bolt?  

And why don't you just go out there with your brass catching that I gave you and deal with it?

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This shoot is only for rifles and i won't need a handgun, am I correct?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This shoot is only for rifles and i won't need a handgun, am I correct?

Correct...kind of.

After the Urban Sniper shoot is complete, there will be a "tactical shoot" of pretty much the same layout. this time fastest time wins, and you get as many shots as needed to clear the stage (If BobRob is coming he will need lots of extra mags), In addition there will be handgun targets you will have to clear.

So, if you want to just run the sniper shoot no pistol, if you want to do just the tactical shoot or both a pistol is required.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Can I use my bolt gun in the combat shoot? Don't have Ar ready to roll yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can I use my bolt gun in the combat shoot? Don't have Ar ready to roll yet.

not my greatest filming, but you get the idea.

That was Rlarge shooting the Combat portion last September(?)... You can do it, but it will probably work against you, but you got what ya got right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Spartan260, yea a bolt gun is fine, most the guys shooting use them for the sniper match with some swiching to a semi-auto for the combat match, but basicly its run wacha brung Commin down to one day, hope a lot of you can make it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for answering my questions fellas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
T-Minus 9 hours... i have to be there in 7 hours to help finish setting up, so i should probably be in bed

So who will I see there tomorrow?
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd like to thank the guys for putting all the hard work into setting up the shoot. I had another fun time in perfect shooting weather. Thank you
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Spartan, we're glad you had a good time, and thank you very much for the help putting everything away! BTW, are you Dan or Dave? Joel is going to splice some video together and post it so the guys that didn't show up can see what they missed
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks Spartan, we're glad you had a good time, and thank you very much for the help putting everything away! BTW, are you Dan or Dave? Joel is going to splice some video together and post it so the guys that didn't show up can see what they missed

Just from the screen name I'm gonna guess it's Dan because he shoots a sweet GAP .260REM.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Well my shooting was a few notches below pisspoor, my photos are poopy, and some of ny video was corrupted somehow.... fml

It was a great weekend, you jerks should of joined us in the chilly light rain

I'll work on editing the video and get some pics up after work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
the song doesnt fit, and its a pretty ruff edit...but this gets the idea across.

notice the major difference in audio/video between Contour and cell phone, its terrible

im going to work on chopping up video from the combat shoot... it should be better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok I finally got signed up, this is Dave by the way.  Thanks for setting up a great match.  I had a great time and will hopefully be able to get to most of them this year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok I finally got signed up, this is Dave by the way.  Thanks for setting up a great match.  I had a great time and will hopefully be able to get to most of them this year.

hey dave.  Good to see you on here finally!
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool Video! Good form.

Link Posted: 4/26/2012 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#32]
We were glad to see you again Dave, hope you can make more matches, including the F class
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Didn't shoot, but great scenarios and challenges. Hope to get some loads ready for next shoot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok Well the video convinced me! Once i get a couple hundred rounds through my new scope and once I get a few more add-ons(trigger, cheek pad, scope mount) I'll be to one of these this summer for sure!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#35]
We'll be looking for you!
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep this is Dan. Sorry for the delayed response. Sounds like we may have a few more shooters for the next match.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Is the July 1 Match a go? Same format and all?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is the July 1 Match a go? Same format and all?

Good question. Are we a go on the match Bill?

Would you like help again this time? I haven't given any thought to new stages, but for most of the shooters they will be New

damn, and I still don't have my 700 set up... nor have i shot it since the last match
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got the rifle in the safe, the scope is being delivered and I'm hunting for some rings.

Does anyone know where I can find some decent 30mm rings locally around the Des Moines area?

Also, what types of ranges (100 yard..etc..) and size targets are we dealing with here?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#40]
^^^^Ranges from 50-200, i think most of the targets ended up around 2moa, the biggest being 4in. at 200 yards... the COF was quite challenging last time.^^^^

I look forward to shooting terrible again, and having a fun time. Ordered my scope today, hopefully i can shoot once or twice with it before the match.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I have half a mind to run my AUG in this just for S&G's.  It will shoot 2MOA when you have a perfectly steady position, and most of those improvised positions are not that.  Would be fun to see what the other shooters are running.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]
We bought some larger steel, 7×12 to use for the 200 yd in the combat course as that seemed to be a tough one the last match. Other wise the largest will be a 5 in round, but most of those are used for the combat course, we're trying to keep the sniper course targets moa.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the answers, guys!
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I went to the range this morning.  It shoots sub-MOA so I should no excuses on the 1st.

It's a Remington 24" 5R in .308 topped with a Leopold M3.  Next plan is a detachable mag conversion for sure.  It's difficult loading a short action with .308 round.  Then get 4" chopped off of the rifle.

This thread made me buy all this stuff and put it together.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#45]
This is a great event and I encourage everyone to attend.  It's things like this that allow you to shake out your skills and equipment.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#46]
T minus one week!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Tomorrow's the big day! Hope to see some new faces as well as the "regulars"
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Just waking up, Who all went? and how did it go?

damn Sickness
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Just waking up, Who all went? and how did it go?

damn Sickness

I brushed off my vagina and showed up.  It was hot!  Anyways, the course was set up well, and I got to verify some tactical skills, including the low crawl.  Prizes were very, very nice.  I hope more people show up next time around.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Hi all, well as bettendorf said it was HOT! We had one competitor take himself out for mild heat exhaustion, but other than that things went smooth. A big thanks to the guys who did show up despite the heat and everyone that helped with target resets and teardown, all help is greatly appreciated. We hope we can continue to provide a safe, challenging event for everyone. Bill
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top