Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 9:33:13 AM EDT
I know its probibly a feeble attempt but I am writing an email to House rep Dave Loebsack(D) to either kill the bill or vote no if the bill goes to vote. I am needing help w/some statistics and grammer tips to back up my side. I am just not very good at writing a convincing letter to someone. Should have seen my letters to Culver about smoking tax and the subsequent bans. Obviously they had no pull.

Edit:

Here is what I have so far:

I would like to voice my opinion of H.R.6257 and why I feel you should vote no on this. I understand that by voting by party you would vote yes to this but please do some research before voting on this. An unpublished study from the US Department of Justice found that only 1% of violent crime is done with assault weapons. The majority of violent crime is done with low cost handguns. The reason for this is a criminal does not normally want to pay $600 or more for an assault type weapon when they could buy a $100-200 handgun legally or even cheaper if they buy a stolen gun on the black market. The ban has little or no effect on the criminal element but punishes the law-abiding citizen.

let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
the only thing I got going for me was that it was intro'ed by a republican and sponsered by at least 2 more.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, for starters, I would not refer to them as assault type weapons.  I would simply refer to them as semi-automatic rifles, with similar function to a Remington Model 7400 deer rifle.
I would also ask for data showing how often this type of rifle is used in violent crime in Iowa.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I think everybody needs to write their senators & representatives, and make it very clear that sponsoring or voting in favor of any further weapons bans, will have an angry constiuent actively working to unseat them!

I think I'll shoot a few E-mails this weekend to my senators/representatives, and forward to my friends and family, having them send e-mails as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
need more information.  is this a local thing or federal?  link to legislation?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn Liberals need to be shipped to middle of the ocean and given a swim test.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Problem is that the bill was introduced by a Republican. There seems to be no difference between democrat and republican anymore. They are all more liberal than conseritive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#8]
How bout we give them their own city, Gulfport, Illinois.
Gulfport has been underwater for over 30 days!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I know the wifes grandpa is stuck in Lomax because he refuses to drive to Ft Madison to goto Burlington.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Problem is that the bill was introduced by a Republican. There seems to be no difference between democrat and republican anymore. They are all more liberal than conseritive.

One word for that affliction:

RINO
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One word for that affliction:

RINO

Absolutly!  Just because they have an R or D behind their name means very little any more.  I just hope that the voters realize that republican doesn't mean conservative, and vote the liberals out.

I will not be supporting Harkin (D) due to his voting record.  Grassly (R) seems to bee doing a pretty good job, on the issues I have contacted him on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
I know the wifes grandpa is stuck in Lomax because he refuses to drive to Ft Madison to goto Burlington.

They finally got 34 open yesterday. Only one lane is open though. Long delays.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree teggy1. Harkin didn't get a vote last time and will not get one again unless he changes his views considerably.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is the response I expected:

Dear Mr. McDanel,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control issues. I'm honored to represent you in Congress. Your opinion is very important to me and my priority is to provide Iowa's Second District with the best representation possible.

There are many new policy options currently under debate in respect to the Second Amendment and further regulation. Gun control and safety issues must be given careful consideration.

While I believe the United States should maintain the ban on the sale or transfer of semi-automatic weapons, I support the important exception for hunters. I recognize that hunting is an essential part of Iowa's culture and history, and I encourage the maintenance of that tradition. In order to protect hunters, we should continue to require licenses for gun possession and maintain existing regulations on the purchase and possession of guns.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. I encourage you to visit my website at www.loebsack.house.gov and sign up for my e-newsletters to stay informed of the work I'm doing in Congress. I am proud to serve Iowa's Second District, and I am committed to working hard for you.

Sincerely,

Dave Loebsack
Member of Congress
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8

maintain the ban on the sale or transfer of semi-automatic weapons,

we should continue to require licenses for gun possession

What the hell is he smoking? There is no ban, and there is no license to possess! He's even more of an idiot than I had previously thought.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

maintain the ban on the sale or transfer of semi-automatic weapons,

we should continue to require licenses for gun possession

What the hell is he smoking? There is no ban, and there is no license to possess! He's even more of an idiot than I had previously thought.

E-mail him back and tell him that due to his lack of knowledge of firearms laws, the meaning of the 2nd and his unreasonable stand on the issue you are forced to vote no when he comes up for re-election.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#17]
my response:

Due to your lack of knowledge of the law I will be forced to vote for your opponent when you are up for re-election. I asked you to do your research and your response shows you did not do this. There is no ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons nor has there been. A semi-automatic weapon does not constitute an assault weapon. I am I have no problems with the current laws requiring background checks and licenses for firearm sales and ownership. The problem I have is the government telling me what firearms and I can and cannot own.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top