Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 1:57:42 PM EDT
I have yet to make it to any of the Iowa shoots yet but i am planning to go to the next one. My biggest problem is i have to ask for time off so far in advance i can't always get off on short notice. And its like a 3 1/2 hour drive for me to go so you see why i can't make it a one day trip.
Thanks E3

See post at bottom of page for new range info.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
i've been reading about all these "shoots" on here.  what is the deal with these?

can someone give me the skinny?

thanks,

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure I would be glad.

First and formost, it gives us all a chance to meet face to face and spend time involved in out favorite pastime. Chating on the internet and forums are fun, but you can hear and see everyone's stories and experiences. During the last shoot two or three people brought their 50 cal. rifles. Since that round isn't that easy or cheap to buy, they offered to let others fire their rifles and their ammo. Some really nice people if you ask me. You get to see what other people like, use, and enjoy to fire. It gives time to ask others that may own items you may want to purchase if they are useful, or junk.

Now, here is the kicker that makes it an absolute blast! Certain people that have Full Autos bring them and for a smaller than normal fee (usually the cost of ammo) allow us to fire their machine guns. Some are even kind enough to give a list of approved ammo to run through their MGs. That allows you to bring as much ammo as you would like to fire off in any one MG! Now doesn't that sound like fun!

P.S. if the Sheriff knows far enough in advance, he might bring the dept.'s Thompson out again.

ETA: Don't forget that if you use any of the MGs please leave a donation toward weapons maint. and the generousity the owners have shown. The investment that the owners have made to own these types of weapons is well into $5,000 and upward.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds like a lot of fun and a nice function.

i look forward to hearing about this year's date.

thanks,

septic tank
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
it all fits now...  when you guys were at Okoboji and were talking about it, i smiled and gave everyone a "nod" but didn't actually know what was going on...  of course, i wasn't interested in telling everyone i was stupid, so i just went with the flow....

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
just liek you septic......always full of................

Brett
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
So I guess the Cedar Rapids area is out of question.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
tag

I would also like to see something in the CR area  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
tag

+1

Maybe we should do a summer shoot in Eastern Iowa?  We could do some camping, shooting, and paintball at Matsells Bridge.  Just a thought.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
tag

eastern Iowa shoot would be a plus here also. I know of three from S.E. Iowa that would most likly would go.  I can get to C.R. area in less than 2 hours. I can make a one day trip out of that.
E3
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
or we could see about setting it up at the Big Hollow range operated by Des Moines County....... anybody a mamber? Last I heard you had to have a membership to shoot there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
or we could see about setting it up at the Big Hollow range operated by Des Moines County....... anybody a mamber? Last I heard you had to have a membership to shoot there.

Yes you have to be a member and i am not sure if you can have full auto's there or not. But seeing how i work for the county i may have an in for getting us in there. It's a very nice range with 4 differnt ranges 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard and 300 meter ranges all with covered shooting shelter house's. The biggest factor is the amount of people you can have firing at one time the ranges are not that wide. 50 to 60 Ft. wide just guessing. I know they rent out the ranges to out of town police departments for like $50 a day per range. I will do some checking.

The range is located about 15 miles north of Burlington, Ia just off of US Hwy61 and you will have to drive on gravel to get there buy the way. less than a mile on the gravel

I will talk to the sheriff and the county conservation supervior and see what they say.
E3
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought about this also, and when I inquired to DMCC, I was told that everything could be set-up through the Board members, all we would have to do is show prof of insurance. Unless everyone showing up were already DMC range members. After that I didn't even want to ask about full-auto use.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Would love to attend one! Haven't been to a shoot since the Osky IKES shoot a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I thought about this also, and when I inquired to DMCC, I was told that everything could be set-up through the Board members, all we would have to do is show prof of insurance. Unless everyone showing up were already DMC range members. After that I didn't even want to ask about full-auto use.

Now that you say that i remeber some one talking about  a group shoot and they needed insurance so i guess thats out.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Matsells Bridge is just outside of Marion/CR, is open to the public and is free.  They have covered shelters with decent benches.  Shooting out to 200 yards.  I have no idea about full-auto use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Matsell's Bridge Camping

Matsell's Bridge Natural Area

Matsell's Bridge Shooting Area

Primitive camping

Shok

Cool.  Atlarge when are we headed out there?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Western front -tag-

Fall was fun and I hope I can stay longer next time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#21]
For everyones infromation i contated the Linn Co. Conservation Dept. about a ARFCOM shoot at Matsell's bridge shooting range near the Ceder Rapid's area And the following are the questions and their answers to those questions. If anyone closer than i would like to do some follow up we could have a ARFCOM shoot here. Like i said i live around 1 1/2 hours away and this would be a lot nicer for us members on the eastern half of the state so we don't have to travle as far and with gas prices the way they are it would be cheaper for some of us also.  
Also looks as if the full autos are a little ify

Can your shooting range be reserved? and dose it cost to reserve the range
if we can? Do you have to be a member to shoot there? We do not reserve the
shooting range at this time it may happen in the future.  We are considering
a membership requirement, but have not implemented it at this time.
Therefore, there isn't a fee for using the range.  We do accept donations at
the range.

Are full auto guns allowed?  We have one member that brings legal registered
full auto rifles to let other members shot for just the cost of ammo. No
profit is made from the sale of ammo for the gun's.  
We don't have any restrictions on the firearms per se as long as no federal
and state laws are broken.  I have to say we aren't excited about fully
automatic weapons.  The major consideration is that they are operated in a
safe manner.

And do we have to have insurance to shoot as a group?
At this time, we do not require shooters to carry an insurce policy.  
I hope this addresses your questions.  Feel free to contact me if you need
clarification on any of this.

Dennis Goemaat
Deputy Director
Linn County Conservation Department
1890 County Home Road
Marion, IA 52302

Phone:(319) 892-6454
Email: [email protected]

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Matsell's Bridge Camping

Primitive camping

Shok

Better be soon. I gots an itch that needs scratchin!

Good job Earrnhardt3. I concur with Matsells.  Rifle range. Pistol Range. (Open air but both are covered with benches and concrete floor) Trap range. Good parking. Decent outhouse. Also room for spectators to see from easily. Camping and fishing nearby for those that want to make a weekend out of it. Pretty close to paradise I'd say.

I didn't see the word NO in their response from the LCCD so why not as long as we all act our usual, respectible selves. Maybe if they were assured the donations would be generous they would be more receptive to a reservation.

Whadya think Booger. Would the travel East be a turn off?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Reservations would be nice, but I can't say I've ever been there and seen it packed.  The most I 've seen is 10-12 people, most of whom probably would be interested in the gathering.  We could even pick up a few potential members  

Sounds like full-auto is a go to me, considering they won't break Iowa law.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Matsell's Bridge Camping

Primitive camping

Shok

Better be soon. I gots an itch that needs scratchin!

Good job Earrnhardt3. I concur with Matsells.  Rifle range. Pistol Range. (Open air but both are covered with benches and concrete floor) Trap range. Good parking. Decent outhouse. Also room for spectators to see from easily. Camping and fishing nearby for those that want to make a weekend out of it. Pretty close to paradise I'd say.

I didn't see the word NO in their response from the LCCD so why not as long as we all act our usual, respectible selves. Maybe if they were assured the donations would be generous they would be more receptive to a reservation.

Whadya think Booger. Would the travel East be a turn off?

Tomorrow sounds good to me.  :)  This weekend I will be out of town.  Next week is open or the following...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#25]
This sounds like a great option, depending on the weekend I would also be more apt to make it to Matsells. I know that Booger would contact the Linn Co. Sheriff first if he decides to head east, so the final say would lay with the Sheriff. Not trying to put a damper on things, just trying to be real and look at all aspects.

Gas for that Mil ambulance would probably cost quite a bit to get out there, might want to consider a gas fund to help with costs.

By the way Booger, have you looked at biodiesel and converting that lug?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#26]
did i read the word "BIODIESEL".....i can tell you just about anything you want to know about it;)

converting is easy, just carry extra fuel filters with you for a while(you will need them).  there is nothing else that need done, just fill it up.  but the benefits dont come until you mix your own or find a place that sells B20.  

i work for West Central Coop.  we are the largest marketer for biodiesel in the US.

Brett
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Maybe my long post above put everyone to sleep so I'll give it a little bump to see what I can stir up.

LOL.

I plan on going out there soon hopefully with AtLarge but he seems to be at large right now and won't call me :)

I will do some messurements and let you know how much room is around the benches.  Also last I heard they let you shoot clays set out on the berm but I don't know for sure since I had never been out there.  Also AtLarge and I live close enought that we could get out there early to "reserve" as much of the range as we can the day of the shoot.  I can't answer how busy it is either.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Went out there today.  It is a nice place but I don't know if it will work.  It was busy for being in the middle of the week.  Also there are gates so you would have to talk to the ranger or something to be able to get the trailers down by the line.  Plenty of parking though and nice cement line.

Also they say paper targets only but there were plenty of clay targets and cardboard that was shot up.  There was 3 linn county sheriff officers who said they were swat practicing to qualify.  One other guy who was shooting a muzzle loader.  They were there before I was and left the same time.  I was there from 2 to 4.  Other guys came and went on the pistol range.  There were probably 4 or 5 guys who went to the pistol range.  The pistol range goes to 100 yards and they were shooting rifles.  The rifle range goes to 200 yards.  This was messured on my laser range finder.

I should have messured how long the lines were.  Maybe this weekend.  Also there was plenty of space in front of the benches.  The swat guys were prone in front of the benches.  The space on the ends would work for the trailer with the belt feed gun.

Any other information people want?  I think AtLarge said something about going out there Saturday.

Range "rules"  

View from the pistol range.

View of the pistol line.  Notice there are two rifle benches on each side.

This is how much space was on the ends of the lines.  There is also a mesh on the ends of the roof so brass can't hit anyone on the other side.  These lines are right next to each other with a berm between.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Great Pics! I don't doubt it is busy during the week cuz it's a nice place. Maybe we'll hit it with a tape measure tomorrow just to be sure.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top