Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 5:19:16 PM EDT
What do we need to do to start and pass legislation to get CCW for Iowa?  I am willing to do my part or lead the effort if someone would tell me where to start?
JOHN
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Iowa already has CCW permit system. It's only flaw is that it's up to the whim of your local sheriff. There is a small fee and a class to take, and it's up to the sheriff if he wants you to range qualify also. The class is easy the qualification is easy. Talking to your local sheriff's office would be the place to start.  It's other flaw is that Iowa will not reciprocate with other states.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have it and like said above if Sheriff is ok with it it's a breeze to get.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand the system that is what I am trying to change.  I live in Johnson county very liberal and work in Linn also liberal and the Linn county Sherrif has given me permission to get it but I need it from the Johnson Sheriff and they don't always see eye to eye.  The problem beside the reciprocity is the fact that it is up to one person per county to decide and depending on which county I live in and the mood of the sheriff determines who gets the permit.  I think this is inherently wrong and should not be left up to a decission from county to county but should be based on the individual applicants  criminal history and be consistent throughout the state.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the legislator that holds the reigns at the state senate. He is very pro-gun, but he would not push the issue hard enough to affect change in a way that pushed him to the front of the stage. He would certainly support the effort, but not in a high profile way. Most of the Republican lawmakers feel the same way.

So, the climate at the state capitol is right, but it would be up to us to make it an issue that would garner enough public support to make it past the governor's desk.

The problem is how to educate the public. Most people don't see concealed carry as a good idea. It sounds dangerous to them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if it gets thru the legislature, and there's no guarantee on that, I can't see Vilsack signing it.  He vetoed dove hunting, you think he's going to ok CCW?

Yes, the present system is dysfunctional to say the least.  Some counties had out tags for the asking.  Most make you jump thru a fair number of hoops.  Some don't hand out any.  Story County (my home) is very tough but not impossible.  The People's Republic of Johnson County?  Forget it.  Getting a permit to acquire is an ordeal, let alone a CCW. I'm not sure there are any CCW permits in JC. Certainly no more than a handful.

Polk County eased up considerably with the new sheriff.  Take the course at NLSI, pass the background check and you're in.  Except NLSI is no longer offering the course.  Something about being to busy teaching security guards and law enforcement types.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest you activly campaign against your local sheriff. Perhaps he won't like the bad press.  Start a recall petition, make him responsible to the voters.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
What has worked well in our county is to actively campaign for the man that will issue permits. As it turns out, he is usually the best man to fill the office anyway.

The sheriffs in my county have been issuing permits ever since they first became required. Each one has had an opportunity to see that there is not blood running in the streets because of CCW, and trained his subordinates to respect the rights of citizens regarding this matter.

Thus, as each sheriff came to retirement age, a deputy used to seeing permits issued has been elected with the understanding that this boat shall not be rocked. It has worked so far.

On the other hand, two counties over, the sheriff has always refused to issue permits. A few years ago a guy actually took him to court in an effort to get a permit. The sheriff lost, but I don't think the guy got a permit when the dust settled.

I remember the dove hunting uproar a few years ago. The guys who actively lobbied at the capitol came off looking like Dorks on the news.

That is the problem. How to push the issue in such a way that everyone who owns any type of firearm can see the sense of having a CCW permit. If we could convince gun owners that CCW permits are not evil or unneeded, then might see a change. As it is now, most shotgun owners don't even see a need for pistols, let alone Carry Permits.

Nothing against shotgun owners in particular, but it is the truth. Twice this week I was asked if you need a permit to own a pistol. By people who have owned long arms for years. The second time I was asked, I looked at the guy and said "this is not Russia!"

Then I had to backtrack and say " well, you need a permit to buy one, but not to own one".

Kind of took the wind out of my sails.

The point is, how can we convince people that don't own firearms that Shall Issue would be good when very few gun owners even want CCW?
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top