Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2013 3:48:55 AM EDT
OK, to make this very quick... Michigan law differs from Federal law in that overall length is measured with the stock folded or collapsed, and not extended. Up until recently, a rifle with a length between 26 and 30 inches was considered a Michigan pistol, but I believe that has been amended as of January 1st of this year. The main issue is that a rifle with an OAL less than 26" folded is considered in Michigan to be a Short Barreled Rifle, and therefore ILLEGAL (NO SBRs of any kind here).
Here is Attorney General opinion #6280 which states some of this:
http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/1980s/op06280.htm
Now, here is my predicament. I am building a dedicated .22LR AR15. I am using this upper:
http://www.core15rifles.com/core15-tac-3-22-long-rifle-w-15-rail-2841.html
and this stock:
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/stock-agp-side-folding-stock-complete-kit-p-347.html
I have estimated that the overall length with the stock folded will be about 24"-25" to the end of the flashider, but I might be wrong. Any experience with this?
If it is indeed under 26", I am in need of a muzzle device that is about 1.5" or so longer than a standard A2 flashider, so about 3" total length; unfortunately, I will not know the exact length flashider that I will need until my upper and stock arrive in the coming days.
Since the barrel length is still 16", the flashider does NOT need to be pinned, but it needs to be just long enough to bring the total length of the rifle, stock folded, to 26".
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This should get you there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Flaming Pig, Surefire brake, or you could go big with a 4.5 or 5.5" flash hider.

Also look into fake cans. Tactical Solutions and several other companies make fake cans that are 4-6" in length as well.

here for the biggens.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
BCM A2X This adds over 1.5" and would look MUCH better..

Go here: BCM A2X
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am in need of a muzzle device that is about 1.5" or so longer than a standard A2 flashider.

The A2X wont get him there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This should get you there.

that is an option, but if possible, I would like something just long enough to keep me legal, but not overly long like that one. That has given me some ideas though, and I will keep it in mind. Thank you.
Quoted:
Flaming Pig, Surefire brake, or you could go big with a 4.5 or 5.5" flash hider.

Also look into fake cans. Tactical Solutions and several other companies make fake cans that are 4-6" in length as well.

here for the biggens.

great info! i googled, but just for clarity, do you have links to the surefire brake and fake cans?
I found this: http://www.tacticalinc.com/walther-22lr-fake-suppressorbrfake-silencer-p-36.html
again, Im looking for something JUST long enough, but not too long. I would consider the Noveske KX3, but aparrently it wont fit with that handguard.
thanks!
Quoted:

unfortunately, what I need has to be 1.5"-2" LONGER than an A2 flashider, so about 3" overall. that A2X will not work.

thanks for all of the help guys, keep the suggestions coming please. I'm still looking for something a little shorter than what I have so far, but still long enough.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
B. E. Meyers should get you there.

Weapon Outfitters has them, supposedly "tested by JSOC" to eliminate 96% of visible flash.  The Surefire suppressor mounts are based off of them.

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just saying you will not find much in the 3-3.5" range. I tried looking for some to keep my folder Cali legal and gave up because the only options were $125+. You will not be able to do this on the cheap unless you get something longer, just know that going in..

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a 5" Flash Hider you can turn it down to what you need locally.  It would look wier to have a 16" barrel and a 5" flash hider...

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a 5" Flash Hider you can turn it down to what you need locally.  It would look wier to have a 16" barrel and a 5" flash hider...

MAHA

Indeed, I am considering buying #7in this link provided by FreezinSig and cutting it to my desired length
http://model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=406
Any other recommendations?
Thanks again for the great help.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless you pin the flash hider/fake supressor it wont change the overall length of the barrel for compliance with length regs. I would double check your state laws regarding measuring barrel length and OAL compliance.

Besides I would much rather have a short butt stock like the ACE entry stock on the butt end, than hang a ton of useless crap on the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unless you pin the flash hider/fake supressor it wont change the overall length of the barrel for compliance with length regs. I would double check your state laws regarding measuring barrel length and OAL compliance.

Besides I would much rather have a short butt stock like the ACE entry stock on the butt end, than hang a ton of useless crap on the end of the barrel.

No pinning required. It isnt the barrel length that I need to lengthen, it is the overall length. Pinning only increases barrel length because it makes the FH a permanent part of the barrel; since I dont need a longer barrel, I dont need to pin it. It will require a tool to remove, just like any other part of the rifle so it is OK.
And it isnt "A ton of useless crap", it is simply a slightly longer flashider.

Quoted:
B. E. Meyers should get you there.

Weapon Outfitters has them, supposedly "tested by JSOC" to eliminate 96% of visible flash.  The Surefire suppressor mounts are based off of them.

~Augee

I'll look into it... they seem to be about 2.75" long so they might be just a hair too short, but I will check as soon as my upper comes in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I only suggested verifing the procedures your state uses, here in NY the barrel length is determined by permanently attached devices, and OAL uses permanent barrel length and if the muzzle device can be removed with COMMON hand tools it isnt used in barrel length or OAL computations. I wouldnt want to see ya trying to comply with the law and then discover you are not in compliance as they slap the cuffs on, that woulkdnt be good at all, LOL
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
CORE15 has informed me the the total length of the upper is 24"; I will verify this when i receive mine. If this is so, I would need a flashider that is right at 3" long.
This will be close, but I think slightly too short at 2.75":
http://www.bemeyers.com/index.php?option=com_product&catid=22&id=35

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m16-1/upper-receivers-parts/muzzle-devices/be-meyers-flash-hider-for-5-56mm-weapons.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok so my upper arrived, and OAL is 25.25". That means I need a flashider or muzzle brake that is .75" to 1" longer than a standard A2, and I decided on a GoGun Talon Muzzle Brake which is 2.9" in length.
Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just saying you will not find much in the 3-3.5" range. I tried looking for some to keep my folder Cali legal and gave up because the only options were $125+. You will not be able to do this on the cheap unless you get something longer, just know that going in..

Just get a piece of pipe from the hardware store, and thread it to attach to the barrel threads, then if you want mill some slots in to the side of it with a dermal tool, and paint, or gun coat it so it actually has some utility, and doesn't look completely goofy.  Shouldn't cost you more than a couple of dollars, you could probably even get away with PVC since it's only a .22.  If you can't find the right diameter, just get something close, and an end cap, simply drill the correct hole in the end cap, then thread the hole to fit.

You could also just get a longer barrel that way the extra will actualy make sense because a flash suppressor, or a muzzle break make no sense for .22.  If the new barrel is to long, just have it shortened, and recrowned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top