Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:34:42 AM EDT
The Antrim Sand Pit Shooters (ASPS) will be hosting a United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) handgun match on Saturday, June 7th at the Chain O' Lakes Sportsmans Club (COLSC) in Bellaire, MI, about 45 minutes northeast of Traverse City.

Anyone who can handle their handgun safely is welcome, you do not need to be a member of USPSA or COLSC.

The match will include 7 stages, including a classifier. Approximate round count is 150.

The match fee is $25 per shooter. Registration begins at 9:00 am. Shooting begins at 10:00 am. If you would like to help setup the match (and get a sneak peek at the stages) the setup crew arrives at 8:00 am.

For more information, including directions to the range, visit the Chain O' Lakes Sportsmans Club website (www.colsc.org) and the Antrim Sand Pit Shooters annoucnement page (www.colsc.org/Graphics/first_saturday_uspsa.htm)

More about USPSA Matches

Visit the official website of the United States Practical Shooting Association: www.uspsa.org. Be sure the check out video on the home page, and the "What is Practical Shooting" and "How do I get started?" links on the left navigation panel.

In brief, practical shooting done the USPSA way is very dynamic, involving a mix of paper and steel targets, including moving targets. Targets are arranged in a course of fire called a stage, which can also include barricades, hard cover, and multiple shooting positions which must all be negotiated to complete the stage while on the clock. Every aspect of your handgun handling & shooting skills will be put to the test... draws, reloads, speed on close targets, accuracy on distant targets and everything in between. Each "stage" has a set number of targets, and each target is worth a set number of points... your "score" is based on how many points you score divided by the amount of time it took you to complete the stage... or simply put "points per second".

Because of the highly dynamic nature of the competition safety rules are strictly enforced, and all match activities and stages are closely supervised by National Range Officer's Institue (NROI) certified Range Officers. Before every match a new shooter safety check & orientation is conducted to make sure the shooters equipment is safe, and that they understand the safety rules and range commands.

Spectators are always welcome, so if you'd like to see a match before deciding to compete, feel free to come and watch. Spectators, just like competitors, are required to wear eye & ear protection.

The 08' schedule for ASPS matches at COLSC is the FIRST SATURDAY of the month.
April 5th 19th
May 3rd
June 7th
July 5th
August 2nd
September 6th
October 4th
November 1st (Tentative)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I am going to SERIOUSLY bookmark these sites.  I'm back in SoFla now but was in Bellaire all last week.  Am hoping to retire there in a couple of yrs and was looking for some shooting activities close by.  I'm Fed LEO/FA Instructor.  Much thanks and Good Luck on the match.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
real bummer i wont be up this weekend, didnt realize there were matches that close to home.

you guys ever have any other types of matches out there?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, in addition to the USPSA club COLSC also hosts a SASS/Cowboy club, and has organized Five-Stand and Sporting Clays.

USPSA is really the only activity I'm involved in so you can check out www.colsc.org for the details on the others.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#4]
thats cool

i'm originally from boyne city, living in lansing currently and still travel up regularly

my uncle lives in bellaire though and i visit quite frequently when his boy scout troop does stuff

i'll have to try and check it out next time i'm up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top