Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2007 5:40:02 PM EDT
I'm from the Nazi state of Illinois with crazy gun laws.  But I'm visiting a friend's cabin on 90 acres, and are planning on doing some handgun shooting.  Just want to make sure I don't get arrested.  Wouldn't think it would be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally, persons from other states may not possess a pistol in Michigan unless they are a police officer or a concealed pistol license holder.

MCL 28.422 requires a person to obtain a License to Purchase before they purchase, transport, or carry a pistol in Michigan. MCL 28.422(3)(c) requires that a person be a “legal resident of this state” in order to obtain a license (which begins the registration process). The only exception in that statute is for active-duty military members, who have 30 days after returning to Michigan to register a pistol.

Other exceptions to the registration requirement can be found in MCL 28.432. That statute includes an exception for concealed pistol license holders from other states. Active and retired police officers are exempted from the registration requirements by federal law (The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, 19 USC 926B, et seq). That Act allows active and retired police officers to transport a pistol anywhere in the United States notwithstanding state firearms laws, provided they meet the requirements of the Act.

The bottom line under these statutes is that persons from other states may not bring a pistol into Michigan unless they are a police officer or hold a CPL from their state of residence. There are no exceptions for persons who wish to bring a pistol to Michigan to hunt or target shoot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
90 acres is fine.  For the most part you must be 150 yards from somebody's house to shoot (per hunting laws)  I would be careful about your backstop.

Check out OP's location tag.  Would seem to indicate military.  I don't think there are issues of possessing a pistol in MI for a brief time, it is different if he is planning on taking up permanent residence here.  Then any pistols must be registered.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm from the Nazi state of Illinois with crazy gun laws.  But I'm visiting a friend's cabin on 90 acres, and are planning on doing some handgun shooting.  Just want to make sure I don't get arrested.  Wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Are you planning to bring your own handguns or are you going to use your friend's stuff?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My friend isn'g going to be there.  Just giving me the keys basically.  I was planning on bringing my own up, but perhaps I'll just have to go to a local range in IL.  I hate indoor ranges!!!

Btw, I am active duty military.  This was going to happen on my two weeks of leave.  I should also add that I'm military police, so yes I'm technically a police officer as well, but I'm not so sure that I'd want to push it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You should be gtg.  You might run into an occasional state trooper that will give you a hard time, but the rest of us coppers wouldn't bat an eye as long as you are shooting safely and having fun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
90 acres is fine.  For the most part you must be 150 yards from somebody's house to shoot (per hunting laws)  I would be careful about your backstop.

Check out OP's location tag.  Would seem to indicate military.  I don't think there are issues of possessing a pistol in MI for a brief time, it is different if he is planning on taking up permanent residence here.  Then any pistols must be registered.  

The 150 yards only applies to hunting, target shooting is another matter. Well explained in the hunting guide book.

Fred
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
And you thought that "the Nazi state of Illinois with crazy gun laws" was bad. Welcome to the Nazi state of Michigan! AN AK or UZI with an underfolding stock has to be registered as a pistol. Still no silencers but MGs are comming along from what I understand. It's a step in the right direction at least.

Anyone know the stats on murders vs accidental hunting deaths? Used to be a close match.

I love this state as much as it drives me crazy with the political B.S.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You won't be hassled if you don't do anything stupid.  

Enjoy your leave.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
..... MGs are comming along from what I understand. It's a step in the right direction at least.

Machine guns good are already here. Silencers are coming it seems. Just gotta hope for a change on SBR/SBS status.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You won't be hassled if you don't do anything stupid.  

Enjoy your leave.

Nawh, we're fairly tame and safe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..... MGs are comming along from what I understand. It's a step in the right direction at least.

Machine guns good are already here. Silencers are coming it seems. Just gotta hope for a change on SBR/SBS status.

The wait is killin me!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By fred short:

Quoted:

The 150 yards only applies to hunting, target shooting is another matter. Well explained in the hunting guide book.

Fred

I have to explain this to the officiers every time they are out here. They should issue a DNR rule book to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top