Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2006 1:18:58 PM EDT
I just found out that Dean Caputo will be coming to Michigan to teach his AR15 Operators Diagnostic Course on January 27th & 28th over at the Gander Mountain in Novi.  The link below will take you to Triad Tactical's site for more info.  I'm not sure how many slots are still available, but I can't think of a more appropriate class for the guys that hang out on this forum.

www.triad-tactical.com/Caputo2007.htm

John

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#1]
not to sound to cocky or whatever, but just for what looks to be a simple class room gig does this seem woth it to anyone? seems like through experence and reading from this board most people should know what this class is teaching? more indepth? thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
not to sound to cocky or whatever, but just for what looks to be a simple class room gig does this seem woth it to anyone? seems like through experience and reading from this board most people should know what this class is teaching? more indepth? thoughts?

No problem!  If you think hanging out on this forum has some how elevated you to an armourers status and to a point where you don't want to get any better, then that's your option.  I personally have been building and wrenching on ARs for 20 years now and I am amazed at some of the new things I learn on a regular basis.  Have you ever been to one of the 3 gun matches and witnessed the number of ARs that fail?  

I can tell by your post count that you are quit opinionated, but I'm not sure how well you can back it up with actual firearm knowledge.  Most of your posts appear to more of the fluff type.  I also see from one of your previous post that you are someone who attends the gun shows.  Let me know if you are going to the Lansing show this weekend, I'll meet up with you at Rangers booth and we'll see how much you know.  

Last question.  Did you actually go to the link and see what this class is all about?  Dean Caputo is a certified Colt armourer.  IF you think that you know too much to pick anything up from a guy like this, then I fully understand where your opinion is coming from.  

Last bit of advice I'm going to offer you.  You might want to take advantage of the spellcheck option.  It's one of those things I'd think a guy of your vast knowledge might find of value.  By the way, my name is John.  I'm not one of those guys who likes to hide solely behind their screen name.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, you need to settle down. The man asked a simple question. He even started off by saying "not to sound cocky". $250 is a lot to shell out for something like this. Not everyone can tell up front how useful it is going to be.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
John
I look forward to seeing you in the class!
The chance to get a class with Dean is quite a rare one!
I guess these guys don't know that he teaches this course to all type of local and federal LE or that SWAT magazine has him write articles for them quite often.

Oh wait...  I forgot!  LE has to take these classes and pay all this money as they do not have access to the web and can't get to this forum to figure things out...

Don't waste your time with RavenFire, see next to his name...  Resident Smart Ass??  
The little boy likes to talk big smack and hide behind his E-mail address.

Last time he started this attitude with me he sent me an E-mail telling me that we were buddy buddy and I didn't remember him yet he wouldn't say who he was or how I knew him....

All Hail Raven Fire the mighty keyboard commando!  Go play some more Dungeons and Dragons....
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Damn, you need to settle down. The man asked a simple question. He even started off by saying "not to sound cocky". $250 is a lot to shell out for something like this. Not everyone can tell up front how useful it is going to be.

lew,
I agree $250 is a lot of money to shell out for a class.  However, my experience has taught me that when someone starts out a sentence with, "not to sound cocky" that's exactly what they intend to be.  It's kind of like when someone starts a comment with, "I'm not a racist".  You know exactly where they are heading.  Like Yogi said, he even has "Resident Smart Ass" next to his name.

I think if he had put a little thought into his question, it might have come off differently.  My personal take on Raven_Fire is that he's one of these smartass forum jockeys that thinks that his high post count equates into some type of knowledge.  Sorry but I'm fed up with guys like him.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
dean is the real deal, i got more out of his class than i did the colt class

250 is a steal to really know the ins and outs hows and whys on the ar systems

but whatever..... when real guys and  doers and operators speak i listen as well...

dean is good to go if i wasnt teaching that weekend i would be all over it again
to see if there was any updates or new hints etc.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
dean is the real deal, i got more out of his class than i did the colt class

250 is a steal to really know the ins and outs hows and whys on the ar systems

but whatever..... when real guys and  doers and operators speak i listen as well...

dean is good to go if i wasnt teaching that weekend i would be all over it again
to see if there was any updates or new hints etc.....

thanks, that’s all I was askin and thanks lew, just wanted to know if it was worth the money, I have been to both very good and very bad classes over the years and didn’t know what to expect from this one, sorry I don’t have unlimited free time or funds, guess some of us still have to work for a living. And so fucking sorry for asking a simple question. If you want to meet up at birch run that would be great as I will not be attending the Lansing show. As for Mr. yogi why don’t you put your money where you mouth is? Last time I heard from you, you were begging for some one to help you out at the range and you never showed up even though it was less than 10 min from your house. Next time I wont bother askin if the class is worth it for my buddy and I to shell out 500 bucks, thanks again for all the help guys, you never disappoint.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
not to sound to cocky or whatever, but just for what looks to be a simple class room gig does this seem woth it to anyone? seems like through experence and reading from this board most people should know what this class is teaching? more indepth? thoughts?

Let's break down your response.

"not to sound to cocky or whatever"  Enough said!  See my earlier response.

"but just for what looks to be a simple class room gig" Where to you get the right to come into my thread and call this "a simple class room gig"?  I feel sorry for you if you think that you can only learn from being on the range blazing away.

does this seem woth it to anyone? Asking others to endorse your opinion.

seems like through experence and reading from this board most people should know what this class is teaching?  Comes off to me as you are some how qualified to question the curriculum of the class.

Look I don't think your a bad guy for asking questions.  That is what this forum is all about.  You can learn tons of info from this site.  God knows I've spent way to many hours hear reading and I think it is this forum that has kept my interest in ARs.  
My only suggestion would be that you put a little more thought into what you post.

I wish this forum would adopt the same policy as a few of the other forums and force users to use their real names.  It lets you know who your dealing with and it eliminates hiding behind screen names.

John
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]

John- I want to thank you for posting the class. I appreciate all of your support over the years. You too, JYogi. I look forward to seeing you guys at the class.

There is no question that $250 is a lot of money for some people to spend on a class. I guess it's all relative. I started hosting these classes in Michigan so that local shooters could receive top-tier training without having to travel around the country. Being able to take a class without having to get on an airplane, rent a car, get a hotel, eat at restaurants for a week, and have a travel day on each end of the trip makes the actual cost of the class a bargain. It's easy to spend a couple thousand dollars on a trip to Gunsite. Now, we can take the same classes here locally for a few hundred, plus sleep in your own bed at night. So again, it's all relative.

As to what this class might cover that you don't already know, I will say that no matter what your experience with the AR15/M16 systems, you will learn something. As noted, Dean is a Colt certified Armorer and travels the country teaching the Colt factory class. He developed this class for LE/Military units that didn't need the full factory Armorers Course. Instead of the full 3 day class, he pared it down to a 2 day format so that it can be completed on a weekend. He doesn't cover some of the minutae of every little detail of the guns (we won't spend an hour covering dissassembly on an A2 rear sight) but instead focuses on the issues and repairs that most commonly pop up with the guns. Basically, he covers in 2 days what he feels are the most important parts of an "Armorers" Course.

Pat Rogers wrote a great overview of the class in the November 2006 issue of SWAT magazine- check it out if you have a copy available.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions on the class, please feel free to contact me.

Dennis Chinonis
Triad Tactical Training
www.triad-tactical.com

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#10]
by me saying not to sound cocky was exactly that, I was askin a simple question, and wanted to simply know if any one had any previous experience with deans class's as I don't. I asked the same thing a few months ago about a local class that center mass offered. I had never dealt with them or knew anyone personally that had any experience with that particular company so i asked on here what other people thought, got positive feed back, took the class, learned a ton and had a great time.

From the explanation on his site that you listed the link to, I didn’t realize it was an armors class, as you are correct I am not one. I looked to be fairly basic stating it contained: history, field disassembly, cleaning, that sort of thing that I am fairly familiar with. Had I known he was an ar God I would surely never had the audacity to ask such a trivial question as "is this class worth the 250"

I probably don’t have the knowledge or experience to as you say, question this curriculum, same as you don’t have any idea what I am all about, what I know, or have experience with. so I guess, bottom line, I just wont inquire about anything that has you or yogi name attached to it, and will just go play with my dragon.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
John- I want to thank you for posting the class. I appreciate all of your support over the years. You too, JYogi. I look forward to seeing you guys at the class.

There is no question that $250 is a lot of money for some people to spend on a class. I guess it's all relative. I started hosting these classes in Michigan so that local shooters could receive top-tier training without having to travel around the country. Being able to take a class without having to get on an airplane, rent a car, get a hotel, eat at restaurants for a week, and have a travel day on each end of the trip makes the actual cost of the class a bargain. It's easy to spend a couple thousand dollars on a trip to Gunsite. Now, we can take the same classes here locally for a few hundred, plus sleep in your own bed at night. So again, it's all relative.

As to what this class might cover that you don't already know, I will say that no matter what your experience with the AR15/M16 systems, you will learn something. As noted, Dean is a Colt certified Armorer and travels the country teaching the Colt factory class. He developed this class for LE/Military units that didn't need the full factory Armorers Course. Instead of the full 3 day class, he pared it down to a 2 day format so that it can be completed on a weekend. He doesn't cover some of the minutae of every little detail of the guns (we won't spend an hour covering dissassembly on an A2 rear sight) but instead focuses on the issues and repairs that most commonly pop up with the guns. Basically, he covers in 2 days what he feels are the most important parts of an "Armorers" Course.

Pat Rogers wrote a great overview of the class in the November 2006 issue of SWAT magazine- check it out if you have a copy available.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions on the class, please feel free to contact me.

Dennis Chinonis
Triad Tactical Training
www.triad-tactical.com

thanks, that is exactly the kinda thing i was looking for. sounds like a great class and very practical. i will look forward to attending the next one. thanks again for a real answer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dennis Chinonis
Triad Tactical Training
www.triad-tactical.com

Will Dean ever teach the full armorers course? I am interested in learning how to tear it apart, how to fix the stuff that is boogered up, installing barrels, etc. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think Dean has any other classes scheduled in Michigan in '07. You can check the Colt LE website for a full schedule of their Factory Armorers Courses- I think I remembered seeing some in surrounding states.

For those that might be on the fence about this class, let me assure you that it is an "armorers" type course that will go into great detail on the AR/M16 systems. It's just not the full factory class that requires that every little part of every variant be covered. It's the material that the typical LE/Military/Private Sector end user needs to know.

As of this morning (12/31) I have 2 slots left to fill. Please contact me ASAP if you want one of these slots.

Dennis

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top