Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 5:22:23 PM EDT
Recently purchased an AR and now looking for good places to shoot. Only place I've gone to so far was Double Action with a 50yd indoor range. Problem is that it's only 50 yards, and it's indoors which means extra noisy.

So I'm hoping to find an outdoor range with better yardage. Only places I've found are both private clubs. Detroit Sportsman's Congress in Utica with a 200yd range. And North Macomb Sportman's Club in Washington Twp. with a 50, 100, and 200yd ranges.

Anyone on here a member of those clubs? What's are some perks and responsibilities? Dues? Classes available? Requirements? Gun and ammo shop on site? etc.

I saw that NMSC has a Gun-a-week raffle which seems pretty nice. Always good to get a free gun. Imagine tickets aren't just a dollar though. Anyone know more about this?

It would also be nice to just find an outdoor place to shoot, not even necessarily a range. Just a stretch of land where it is legal and safe to fire freely. That way I could freely set up cans, ammo cans, watermelons, etc for more explosive targets. Anyone know of such a place? I read here that any state lands (other than parks, etc) are free for shooting, but wouldn't know where such a place is and where a safe place would be. Don't want to be shooting hikers.

So if anyone knows of an outdoor range open to the public, or knows about those clubs, or even better knows of a place to freely shoot and set targets I'd appreciate it. I live in the Warren area, so the general MetroDetroit area would be what I'm looking for. I'd travel some(NMSC is already 30 minutes away), but under an hour best.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
DNR has several outdoor ranges throughout the State.  Rifle ranges only out to 100 yards but beats 50 yard indoor.   A lot less expensive too.  Not sure where you are, but I go to the one in Brighton and the one at Pontiac lake.  $5 for the day.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The pit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The pit.

+1

Map to the pit
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
DNR has several outdoor ranges throughout the State.  Rifle ranges only out to 100 yards but beats 50 yard indoor.   A lot less expensive too.  Not sure where you are, but I go to the one in Brighton and the one at Pontiac lake.  $5 for the day.  

I like Island lake (DNR), I never have any problems there, I just am not great about the 6 round limit.  Other than that... it's a good afternnon of shooting for $4.

I have yet to go to the Pit....but I will make it there this spring so that I can "unload" a few mags.

I've been to Double Action... kinda expensive, as are most of the indoor ranges.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
im me, and let me know what area you are from.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Bald Mountain in Lake Orion is another state range.  5 rounds in the magazine, slow fire.

I like the Ortonville range better.  6 rounds, slow fire but you can shoot standing, sitting, prone, or at the bench.

Both are 100 yards.

Williams in Davison has a 100 yard range.  You can load a whole mag but still slow fire.

I joined the DSC last year as an Associate member so I could shoot in the Service Rifle League.  About $80 to join, $35 or so for the league, and $11 each time you shot in the league.  Nice 200 yard range.  Planning on doing it again this year.  As an Associate member, you only get to shoot in the league.  You don't get to use all the other club facilities.

Raffi
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
adfinder23 Welcome to the site!

Are you in advertising?

They don't allow tannerite and stuff like that but Bald Mountain is a nice place but they only have ranges out to 100 yards.

DSC is nice but they may frown on our black rifles. At least the guy there didn't like my dad's SKS when he brought it out there a few years ago. We didn't go back.

I'm not a member of any club. I just don't have the time unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.

Raven, I pm'ed you.

Macman, no I'm not in advertising. Adfinder basically comes from trying to pick a username for some site a long time ago, but kept on choosing ones that were taken. So I gave up and chose something arbitrary and uncommon.

I'll check out some of the DNR ranges, but my top preference would still be some random land that is open to shooting, but not a range so to say. Is that what the Pit is like? Doesn't sound like a range, so would I freely be able to walk up and down range to set targets. I'd clean up afterwards. Is it packed with a lot of shooters?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

DSC is nice but they may frown on our black rifles.

DSC has a Service Rifle League that shoots Wednesdays and Saturdays starting in May.  There's about 25 guys in the league and most shoot AR's.  Didn't notice anyone frowning.  Mostly smiling.

Raffi
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone ever target shoot at Oak Grove State Game Area?  Is it legal to target shoot in game areas?
The pit looks like it's located inside Lapeer State Game Area...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Friend of mine goes to shoot in the privet range @ I96 and Range Road near Port Huron. I had never been there but accroding to him they have 200 yards range as well as 100 & 50. It is open for public for small fee.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DSC is nice but they may frown on our black rifles.

DSC has a Service Rifle League that shoots Wednesdays and Saturdays starting in May.  There's about 25 guys in the league and most shoot AR's.  Didn't notice anyone frowning.  Mostly smiling.

Raffi

Maybe it was the AK then.

The range officer we had was a snob apparently. FWIW Dang I wish I could get off work at a good time, I'd like to do a little service rifle comp.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I was over at Peters indoor range last night with the SMG!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The pit is just a small spot of state land within the Lapeer State Game area. What makes it so nice for shooting is that it sits just off the road and has a high and safe backstop.

There are no benches or target frames here as it is not an "official" state run range. However, it is legal to shoot here.

You wont find any shortage of things to shoot at due to there always being an abundance of items dumped there.

I dont even bring targets anymore when I go to shoot unless I am dialing something in.

Thanks for the clarification, I might check it out sometime this week when I'm up that way...

It's actually nice to know of a spot where there aren't any benches, lanes or fees, just a normal shooting area where common sense and proper gun handling work out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Bumping the topic.

I appreciate everyone's help, but I'm still hoping somebody knows of a good place to shoot like the Pit, but closer to Center Line (Warren, Detroit area) 48015. The pit is great, but 1 hour+ drive from here. So 1 hour of shooting takes about 3.5 hours of my time. And I'm not really looking for a DNR or other proper range that restricts ammo and rate of fire.

Just a good plot of land, legal to shoot, safe, and close.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Bumping the topic.

I appreciate everyone's help, but I'm still hoping somebody knows of a good place to shoot like the Pit, but closer to Center Line (Warren, Detroit area) 48015. The pit is great, but 1 hour+ drive from here. So 1 hour of shooting takes about 3.5 hours of my time. And I'm not really looking for a DNR or other proper range that restricts ammo and rate of fire.

Just a good plot of land, legal to shoot, safe, and close.

I hate to say it but I don't know if you'll be able to find that! Any open plots of land are going to be out in the relative sticks.

I know, I lived in Warren right next to Centerline for a while!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Say it say Mac, say it aint so.

I know there won't be one down the street, but it'd be nice to knock down the drive time some. 45 mins maybe?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I drive about 90 miles to the pit and 90 miles back.  It's worth it to me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top