Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 11:26:40 AM EDT
I just - for the first time ever - went to a pawn shop. I've heard about people getting deals from them and wanted to check them out.

I went to the place just south of 16 Mile on Gratiot... They had some guns there, all long guns that I could see. The only ones that interested me were an M1 Garand (couldn't tell the manufacturer, and the op rod had jumped the track so it looked like crap) for $1200, an M1 Carbine for $600 and a French 7.5mm rifle for like $350.  Not an impressive showing for the first time at a pawn shop!

Anyone know of any good ones that have decent stuff?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I was told by a friend who owns a pawn shop is that they are not allowed to sell handguns.  They have an FFL and they can buy and sell long guns but they cant sell handguns.

That is just what I was told.

I would not be surprised if this was true but at the same time I would not be sure if he just says that as they dont want to deal with the headaches associated with handguns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
From what I was told by a friend who owns a pawn shop is that they are not allowed to sell handguns.  They have an FFL and they can buy and sell long guns but they cant sell handguns.

I would not be surprised if this was true but at the same time I would not be sure if he just says that as they dont want to deal with the headaches associated with handguns.

That's not true. I know of a pawn shop that sells handguns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just - for the first time ever - went to a pawn shop. I've heard about people getting deals from them and wanted to check them out.

I went to the place just south of 16 Mile on Gratiot... They had some guns there, all long guns that I could see. The only ones that interested me were an M1 Garand (couldn't tell the manufacturer, and the op rod had jumped the track so it looked like crap) for $1200, an M1 Carbine for $600 and a French 7.5mm rifle for like $350.  Not an impressive showing for the first time at a pawn shop!

Anyone know of any good ones that have decent stuff?

Many pawn shops sell their wares on the internet now. You'll see a lot of stuff on gunbroker from pawn shops. You'll also see non-gun stuff (guitars, electronics, tools and jewelry) listed on ebay.

It makes a lot of sense to have multiple bidders running the final price up rather than some guy trying to beat you down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Lippo

1)  Are you in Michigan?  Your profile doesnt say

2)  Do they sell hand guns they took in on pawn?  or do they just sell handguns they bought and new ones?  That makes a difference.

As I said I am not sure about this at all, I am just going by what a friend who owns a pawn shop and buys guns has said.

They may need another license to sell them vs. pawn them, I dont know.

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not true. I know of a pawn shop that sells handguns.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The few pawn shops in the Pontiac/Waterford area do not seem to sell handguns through their shops, so there may be some laws about that (I don't know or care).  The owners do however seem to buy and sell them on the side (as personal sales I would assume).  I stop wasting my time once I found out their prices.  It was cheaper to buy the same guns new from Guns Galore, Gander Mountain or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Pawn shops are generally not a bargain hunters dream. They get merchandise for a pittance from people who are desperate for money. They charge a legal amount of interest for the loan (pawned items are actually "collatteral") and then if the owner does not come back and pay up in the specified time, the merchandise is owned by the pawn shop. They then place it for sale, naturally for as much as they think they can get. It is their business to know a lot about the values of many different categories of merchandise, and they are usually VERY knowledgeable. They seldom get burned (stolen merch. mostly) and rarely undervalue an item. If a good deal is found there, it will not be there long, and will be right after the item has come out of pawn.

As to handgun sales, I've been told that Michigan law prohibits pawn shops in dealing in handguns, but I would imagine that would be pawning, not selling new. They may not allow that either, unsure.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a pawn shop in Lansing that sells handguns.    I think it's the one on Waverly that's also a jewelry store.    Dicker and Deal on Cedar has a lot of guns, but it's been so long since I've been in there I can't remember if they had any handguns, but I know the one on Waverly does because I checked out quite a few a while back.  They were all new though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The pawn shop at the corner of Eureka and Telegraph has some handguns also.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#9]
You can sell a handgun to a pawnbroker, and he can sell it, but you cannot pawn a handgun (borrow money on it, and buy it back), it has to be sold outright.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, there is that pawn shop at the at the corner of Eureka and Telegraph, I think it's called Gardner's Pawn Shop.  However in my opinion that guy is a total rip off.  Although he does sell hang guns, there most likely over priced.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a WASR10 for cheap my first trip to a pawn shop here in the UP.  Got the rifle and 4 mags for $170 after taxes and all.  Not a bad deal in my book.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There is a pawn shop in Lansing that sells handguns.    I think it's the one on Waverly that's also a jewelry store.    Dicker and Deal on Cedar has a lot of guns, but it's been so long since I've been in there I can't remember if they had any handguns, but I know the one on Waverly does because I checked out quite a few a while back.  They were all new though.

I take it your from Lansing to?  yes dicker & deal does have handguns to. I was told that one way that they could get around it was to have a "gun shop" within the pawn shop.  If you want to get a good deal, know what your looking for and how much it is new.  that will help alot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]
OK now that makes sense and goes with my friends who own pawn shops telling me they are not allowed to sell handguns, I kinda thought there would be someway around it and more or less its having two businesses in one store.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I take it your from Lansing to?  yes dicker & deal does have handguns to. I was told that one way that they could get around it was to have a "gun shop" within the pawn shop.  If you want to get a good deal, know what your looking for and how much it is new.  that will help alot.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Yep, I live in the wonderful town of Lansing!  My friend took his almost brand new Reminton 870 shotgun into Dicker and Deal and they offered him $75 bucks for it.  He paid over $300.  He still owns it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I went to the place just south of 16 Mile on Gratiot...

It's called Cash Exchange I think. Or maybe A Cash Exchange. Anyway, I poke my head in there as much as I can. I have gotten several good deals from that place. If you show you know what you are talking about with guns, they will work with you on price. I was just there a couple weeks ago. They had a Beretta Silver Mallard lightly used he was gonna let me walk out the door with for only $600. Dunham's had it on sale for something like $989 that week as well. I didn't buy it because I don't need it (at least I'm trying to keep telling myself that). I have bought in the past a pre '64 Winchester 1894 near mint for $150. Also, a mid '70's Ruger 10/22 also near mint with an old school wide view Bushnell scope for $100. In places like that you gotta keep your eye open, and know what guns are what from the bottom cause most of them aren't gonna want to take them all out of the case for you get your fingers all over. Pawn shops are not gold minds, but eventually the law of averages will be on your side.

Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top