Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 4:59:40 PM EDT
I just made up my mind.  I'm getting my son a Ruger .22  Target, Mark II for Christmas.  That and one of those RC M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tanks (and one for me in order to defend myself, shoots air soft BBs).  Any ways I'll have to get it in my name and transfer it to him when he's what, 21.  Question is can we go hunting, and when we go we usually end up getting split up, and have him carry it, in the open, not conceiled?  What if I ain't right there at his side and he gets popped by the DNR?

Edited to add he's just 16.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It will depend on the on the DNR officer that stops him.  I think he would be in violation of the firearm laws.  This is because the handgun is registered to you and not your son and also because he in not at legally allowed to own a handgun because he is not 18 years of age.  I think at the age of 18 you can purchase a handgun from a private owner, you need to be 21 to purchase one from a FFL dealer.

Also you might want to look at the DNR laws about handgun hunting.  He might not be able to hunt with one because he is under the age of 18.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
"MCL 750.234f  Possession of firearm by a person less than 18 years of age.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) and individual less than 18 years of age shall not possess a firearm in public except under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years or older.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an individual less than 18 years of age who possessess a firearm in accordance with part 401 (wildlife conservation) of the natural resources an environmental protection act... (my note: ie. hunting license)"

Basically what the above says is that your son would either have to be in your direct supervision or have a hunting license.  You can't hunt deer with a 22 pistol. So if  your intention is to have him carry it while deer hunting, I would suggest getting him a small game license just in case.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I just talked to the State Police.  You are unable to "use" a pistol the is not registered to you if that person is not with you.  He can hunt with the pistol if he is under you direct supervision.  This is not a huntin reg but a State firearm law.

Edited:

Here is a question from the State Police website:

31. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend to go target shooting?

MCL 28.429 Although the word "loan" was taken out of the definition of seller and purchaser, the safety inspection section of the statutes did not change. That law requires that anyone that owns or comes into possession of a pistol must present it to his or her local police agency for safety inspection. Failure to have the pistol safety inspected is a misdemeanor.

www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_4654-10953--,00.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would think that direct supervision does not necessarily mean in direct eye contact at all times.  Use common sense and you will be fine
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would think that direct supervision does not necessarily mean in direct eye contact at all times.  Use common sense and you will be fine

second that.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The issue that will land both the son and father in trouble is the fact the the minor is carrying a pistol with out the father there.  If the pistol is registered to the father and he is allowing some else to use his handgun he needs to be with the person that is carring the pistol.  Just being in the same area will not cut it.  If you let him carry the pistol you need to be with him at all times.  You might be able to get away with it in an area the is gun friendly.  But if you hunt in a county that hates guns and gun owners both of you will end up in trouble.  

The best thing you could do is contact the Michigan state police and the DNR and ask them the same question you posted here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top