Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 4:05:49 PM EDT
In TN from what I have read
1: It is legal for me to CC with my KY permit.
2: It is legal for me to carry in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
3: I can carry in a restaurant as long as I do not consume, unless otherwise posted.
4: Leave my auto blade in KY.
From what I have read these are all true, please correct me if I am wrong. Much thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure looks good to me. Be advised that many local & state parks are now off limits for CCW. Virtually ALL city buildings (courthouse, library, school, etc.) are also off limits.

Many of us still carry autos, FWIW.    
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
National Park carry does not take effect until February. State parks are good to go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sure looks good to me. Be advised that many local & state parks are now off limits for CCW. Virtually ALL city buildings (courthouse, library, school, etc.) are also off limits.

Many of us still carry autos, FWIW.    

Whoa, Bob!  You're off on this one...I think that's a first!

State parks are good to go with a valid permit.  It's local and/or county parks that are the hodgepodge of carry/don't carry.  The same bill that
allowed municipalities & counties to opt to allow or disallow carry also mandated that state parks be opened.  Please note that there may still be signs up
stating that firearms are not allowed in state parks.  This is true...but the law was changed, creating an exception for permit holders.  It was a negotiated
point to leave the signs up (didn't cost anything, that way), since firearms are still off-limits unless one has a valid permit.

By law, state & local buildings are NOT automatically off limits.  They must be individually posted in accordance with TCA.  Courtrooms (as opposed to
court houses) are off-limits by statute.

Please visit www.tfaonline.org/forum for more information.

David

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:26:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Please note that there may still be signs up stating that firearms are not allowed in state parks.  This is true...but the law was changed, creating an exception for permit holders.  It was a negotiated point to leave the signs up (didn't cost anything, that way), since firearms are still off-limits unless one has a valid permit.

I was unaware of the negotiated point part. It was me seeing a sign that caused me to believe that some state parks were off limits........................  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please note that there may still be signs up stating that firearms are not allowed in state parks.  This is true...but the law was changed, creating an exception for permit holders.  It was a negotiated point to leave the signs up (didn't cost anything, that way), since firearms are still off-limits unless one has a valid permit.

I was unaware of the negotiated point part. It was me seeing a sign that caused me to believe that some state parks were off limits........................  

Taking the signs down would have cost money (for labor), thus adding a "fiscal note" to the parks bill, which was a sticking point with some legislators.  
A bunch of TFA members offered to take hammers to the parks & remove the signs at no charge to the State, but no one at TDEC wanted that.  

I think the signs may be taken down, but it's not mandatory that it happen.  So, it was negotiated that the signs would/could stay up (it's still illegal to carry
in a state park without a permit, after all...so potential lawbreakers are warned!), but an exception was created for HCP holders.  Very much analogous to
the restaurant carry bill.

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top