Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 8:03:43 AM EDT
There's a slight chance I might be able to transfer to Knoxville. How are things arround there? Specifically, hunting? Lots of public land or do you need to join a club/lease? Are there bear and hogs?Full-auto friendly ranges? FLying? What are rental rates/tie-down fees like? Where to live? I'd be working at the airport. Sailing? Are trailerboats best or a good 25-35 ft. I grew up in the opposite corner of the state, so I'm not a total foriegner. Getting tired of the traffic/taxes/liberals and general kalifornication here, plus need to get a bit closer to my folks, they're getting up in years.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
What type of hunting? Bear down in SE TN. Hogs down there too as well on the Plateau.

Full auto range? Can't help you there.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe Guncraft, if they have not changed there name,(off lovell rd) is full auto friendly, and The range in oak ridge might be. THe local airport does have an area for private pilots, if I recall correctly, and as far as boats, if by trailer boats you mean ski boats, fishing boats you are good. and you should be able to get bigger 25-35 ft without a problem in tn river and its dammed lakes. Has been a few years since I lived in K-town but it is a nice place to live as far as city's go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I believe Guncraft, if they have not changed there name,(off lovell rd) is full auto friendly, and The range in oak ridge might be. THe local airport does have an area for private pilots, if I recall correctly, and as far as boats, if by trailer boats you mean ski boats, fishing boats you are good. and you should be able to get bigger 25-35 ft without a problem in tn river and its dammed lakes. Has been a few years since I lived in K-town but it is a nice place to live as far as city's go.

Guncraft was bought out by Coal Creek Armory. The phone number is the same, but the name, owners and employees are all different which is very good.

The range in Oak Ridge is Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association and they do NOT allow full auto. I am a member there and know this for a fact.

FYI.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm stricly wind power as far as boats go. A lot of places when you get into the bigger boats you end up running the motor too much. I filled up last Nov. ($12) and still have a third of a tank left.
I hunt nearly everything. I'm not big into looking for cats or bear up here, but if I come accross one I'll take it. The tags are more or less free if you get the sports pack license.
Full-auto is important. I've spent too much money and too long waiting to give them up. Lots of gravel pits in the state forrests here to blast away. Maybe I can afford a big enough place it won't be a problem.
Anybody know how long you have to have a car before you are exempt from taxes on it when you move? Do you have to get it smogged if you live in the city/county limits? I remember it was Memphis city only, but I never heard if Knoxville did it at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Knoxville doesn't do Smogging at all.  Coal Creek Armory is fa friendly but you can only shoot pistol caliber ammo.  Indoor range.  I don't know about John Sevier but they may be f/a friendly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
John Seveir is not FA friendly.  Last time I was there, they weren't particularly EBR friendly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
John Seveir is not FA friendly.  Last time I was there, they weren't particularly EBR friendly.

Or pistol

Or Young wipersnapper

Or War Zone!

They liked our brass though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont know of any full auto ranges in E. TN unless you own a farm.

Public hunting lands tend to be overcrowded but there are plenty around.  Hunting leases seem to be more available the farther west you go (Middle to West TN).   Look up Royal Blue WMA.  Just north of Knoxville.  Lots of land to hunt and 4 wheel.  Also Cherokee National Forest is near.  More Bear hunting up around the Smoky's and Northest TN.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Farnsworth's firearms indoor range in vonore is full auto friendly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
There is an outdoor range in Lenoir City that allows full auto (very close to Knoxville) and is used by the police department.  It's only 50 yards in length and is unsupervised.  Fees are $20.00 per year.  If anyone needs  more info, send me an e-mail or PM and I'll look through my paperwork for a contact name and phone number.  

Dan
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is an outdoor range in Lenoir City that allows full auto (very close to Knoxville) and is used by the police department.  It's only 50 yards in length and is unsupervised.  Fees are $20.00 per year.  If anyone needs  more info, send me an e-mail or PM and I'll look through my paperwork for a contact name and phone number.  

Dan

That sounds good. I've got 223 and 308 non-belt-fed right now. I actually looked at a map and it looks like the airport (where I'd be working) is a good bit south of town. Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#12]

I actually looked at a map and it looks like the airport (where I'd be working) is a good bit south of town.

Mcghee Tyson, I assume?  I'd consider moving to Maryville then.  Closer, less traffic.  Plus, me and Shoot need another gun buddy close by.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, TYS. I've been looking at land on the 'net, found some nice stuff by the lake (forget the name, no map handy). It's not looking promising on the transfer though. Lots of old-timers interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top