Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 9:59:58 PM EDT
My wife and I have been considering moving out of north east arkansas for awhile.  She recieved her masters degree from the university of Tennessee at Memphis.  She's considering her doctorate and we'd have to move knoxville to do so.  I'm looking to get into Law enforcement but would like to find a job soon after we move.  Working in a gunshop or at a range would be great.  We don't know much about the area.  Any info anyone has on the area, schools, jobs, stuff like that, would be great,  thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard Oak Ridge PD (kinda suburb of Knoxville) is hiring. A guy here interviewed with them last week.  If they are willing to let him carry a gun, they are probably desperately in need of officers.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you done a Google search yet?

That would be a start.

One site as far as housing goes and school districts, go here: www.kgis.org

I would suggest if moving to Knoxville, you stay in the county not the city. City property taxes are a killer.

There are several good gun stores here in Knoxville. Guns and More, Coal Creek Armory and Loudon County Sportsman in Lenoir City are some.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe Knoxville PD may be hiring(they always seem to be hiring).  You could also check with Knox County Sheriff's dept.

I just moved from there a month or so ago.  I lived north of the city in a place called Powell.  Good place to raise kids.  It just depends on what you like and where you want to live.  The Powell area and other areas to the North (Halls)are the new growing areas.  There is a lot west but that is where all the rich folks live (or the ones that just try and act that way).  City taxes are high and they are even higher in Oak Ridge, but they have good schools.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Alcoa city. Maryville city, and Blount County hire fairly regularly. They are just south of K-town, with easy access to UTK.

Come on by now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife's cousin lived in clinton tn (yeah, I know) right outside of knoxville proper while she was finishing at UT. We visited here several times & it seemed like a decent alternative to downtown knoxville. Be prepared, the stretch of I-40 thru K-town is the suck when it comes to traffic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm from Little Rock, its about the same size as Knoxville.  I figure traffic will be about the same.  I appreciate the info ya'll.  Keep it coming.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Not exactly, they are working on I-40 all the way thru K-town. I don't know their timetable though, maybe you'll get lucky and it will be done before you move there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know their timetable though, maybe you'll get lucky and it will be done before you move there.

BWAHAHAHA!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not exactly, they are working on I-40 all the way thru K-town. I don't know their timetable though, maybe you'll get lucky and it will be done before you move there.

Don't count on it.

www.tdot.state.tn.us/smartfix/jwp/
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah traffic is going to suck in Knoxville for another 10 years.  Plenty of back roads to take to miss the hassle of the parking lot I-40.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know their timetable though, maybe you'll get lucky and it will be done before you move there.

BWAHAHAHA!!!

:)
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from the immediate area around campus, downtown and east Knoxville as far as finding a place to live. The farther away from dowtown and campus the better. If you are looking for an apt. then west Knox has the better ones but they are more pricey and traffic is horrific. The Knoxville Police Dept. takes applications year round but the app. process is very lengthy. Knox Co. S.D. hires on a regular basis and they are a lot faster on the app. process but you have to start out as a jailer first. A lot of guys that work at KPD started out as corrections officers at the county. Starting pay is around $12 to $13 I think at the jail and about $14 at the city while you are in the academy. IM or Email if you need any details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top