Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2007 1:42:57 PM EDT
A friend sent me an email implying that Rep. Cannon from UT is one of the co-sponsers on this bill!!!

I don't know for sure if it is true but i just sent a letter of to him asking him to kill the bill.  I suggest everyone do the same.  If you don't personnally help to put down this EVIL, you have no place to gripe later.

Cannon's email: [email protected]

GET TO IT!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have some general guidelines on what should be included or specifics to cite?

I'll gladly write Rep. Cannon, but have no idea how detailed specific it needs to be other than "oppose this because.."
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm speachless.

Chris Cannon visited Action Target about a year and a half ago and actually did some entries into one of our Live Fire Shoothouses with the Metro SWAT team of Utah County.  I feel betrayed.  He seemed really pro-gun, but it was probably just for the photo op and press that his visit got him.

www.actiontarget.com/_law/news_events/Chris_Cannon_MATCH_Visit.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm the one that sent the email to atomicferret.  It's not the most eloquent but feel free to use it and tweak it.

Here's my email I sent to friends:

Please take a moment to write Representative Cannon regarding HR 1022.  Currently Mr. Cannon is currently a supporter/sponsor for HR 1022: A New Assault Weapon Ban.

Enclosed is a sample letter you are free to copy and send to him.  Mr. Cannon’s email is:  [email protected]

Dear Representative Cannon,

As an American citizen and a Utah resident I feel I should write to you and express my opposition toward HR 1022:  The Reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban.

The Second Amendment gives Americans the right to bear arms.  No distinction is made regarding the firearms that citizens are allowed to own.  Law abiding citizens, like you and me, are fully capable practicing lawful use of firearms.  Banning a firearm based on cosmetic appearance and purpose is unconstitutional.  As a result I do not wish you to support HR 1022.  I would also like to remind you that you took an Oath at the opening of the 110th Congressional Session.

110th Congress Takes Office
House of Representatives Assemble on Capitol Hill

Washington, D.C. – I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

In the Oath that you took you swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.  Voting in approval for HR 1022 weakens the Second Amendment and does not defend the Right to Bear Arms.

Furthermore, history has shown us that the last Assault Weapon Ban instated in 1994 did not accomplish anything.  Crime rates remained the same while the ban was in effect.  When the Assault Weapons Ban sunset in 2004 crimes using assault weapons did not increase; responsible law abiding citizens by nature obey the law and do not commit crimes.  Streets were not flooded with AK-47’s and AR-15’s.  Massive shoot outs with law enforcement officers did not take place.  No more firearms legislation is necessary.  Adequate measures are currently in place to insure that criminals are not able to possess firearms.  Criminals procure firearms they use in criminal activity through illegal methods.

Please vote against HR 1022 in order to support and defend the Second Ammendment,

Your Name

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe he is a supporter of this crap! I had alreay sent him a message about it, but I just sent him another now that I know he's part  of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent him an email this morning, but never even got a reply.  I'll have to use the letter posted, and send him an actual letter.  This bill MUST DIE.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.

Sent an e-mail tonight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Where did you guys get the idea that Cannon was a supporter for this?

There is only one sponsor for this bill, Carolyn McCarthy.  No cosponsors

See of yourself:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.01022:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

There are NO cosponsors listed.

I would assume that someone misunderstood that it was sent to the House Judiciary Committee of which Cannon is a member: http://judiciary.house.gov/CommitteeMembership.aspx

You guys at least need to spread correct information. Cannon can help stop this in committee, but that doesn't make him a sponsor in any way, shape, or form.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

See of yourself:
thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.01022:
www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

I would assume that someone misunderstood that it was sent to the House Judiciary Committee of which Cannon is a member: http://judiciary.house.gov/CommitteeMembership.aspx

You guys at least need to spread correct information. Cannon can help stop this in committee, but that doesn't make him a sponsor in any way, shape, or form.

Like I said, i was told that he was a co-sponser, I really didn't want to believe it, but stranger things have happened.  I know that his voting record has, traditionally been good.

Write him anyways, he is on the committee

ETA links are hot
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Cannon needs YOUR emails on this matter.
Please follow up the email with a phone call.
Be polite but firm.....NO TO HB1022, no further anti gun legislation!

Contact Information

Washington Office
2436 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-7751
Fax: (202) 225-5629
Email: [email protected]

Provo Office
51 S University Ave Suite #319
Provo, UT 84606
Phone: (801) 851-2500
Fax: (801) 851-2509
Outside Utah County Call
1-800-571-2971

West Valley City Office
3600 S. Constitution Blvd.
West Valley City, UT 84119
Phone: (801) 955-3631
Fax: (801) 955-3632
Office Hours:
Monday-Thursday 8am to 5pm

West Jordan City Office
8000 South Redwood Road #332
West Jordan, UT 84088
Phone: (801) 569-5125
Fax: (801) 569-5126

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

See of yourself:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.01022:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

There's been a thread for the last week in GD and Cannon was listed in there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Gixxersixxer, thanks for the sample letter.  I used it and emailed him!
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#14]
OK I found the post in GD and I read it too fast.

Jorg is right, Cannon is not a supporter,  Sorry I was wrong.

Cannon is listed as someone on the House Judiciary Committee.  Still write him and let him know you oppose the HR1022 even if it doesn't have any sponsors yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK I found the post in GD and I read it too fast.

Jorg is right, Cannon is not a supporter,  Sorry I was wrong.

Cannon is listed as someone on the House Judiciary Committee.  Still write him and let him know you oppose the HR1022 even if it doesn't have any sponsors yet.

Good to know he isn't part of it.  I wasn't rude in my email, but I did say I had heard he was a supporter.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top