Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 3:07:25 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to get a Stainless synthetic Remington 700 SPS in .270, .30'06, or .300 Win Mag. It is factory new, and comes with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 scope, and is the matte finish stainless, not gloss, and I think is a 24" barrel. I'll probably be spending about $750 or so for it. I think it would be great to get, but I'm curious: if I needed money, could I get my value out of it?? I 'm a poor college kid, so dropping that kind of money could come back to haunt me unless I knew I had potential buyers who could let me have at least even money on it. Does that sound like a fair deal, or is the price too high?? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That rifle will never be worth what you pay for it. If resale is a concern for you then you would be better served buying a used rifle. Look in the EE or on SniperHide, there should be something there to fit the bill.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to both for the responses. I'll probably not mess with it, if I really need a hunting rifle, I've got a couple things I can use. It looks cool, but money is going to be tight this year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
dar - I have been a bit disapointed in the new 700 SPS's. If you are looking for an inexpensive 700 I think the older ADL 700's are a better value - I think Gallenson's still has some ADL's for sale or drop by your local shop and check out prices on the new Weatherby Vanguard compacts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I love the Remington's and looked at getting one of the 700 Police when I bought a tactical rifle but ended up with one of the 10FLP from Savage (Left Handed) that will shoot into less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.  Shoots every bit as tight as the Remington ever will but doesn't come with that nice McMillan stock.  I paid $400 for it back in the day when money was tight and it came with the 24" barrel and matte finish.

What I'm trying to say is you may find a new rifle that will meet your needs at a used price from one of the respected but lower priced companies like Savage.  

I shoot it still with a buddy that picked up the same gun in right hand config and can't complain about either rifle's accuracy or dependability.  

Good luck hunting for a new rifle and game!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top