Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 7:17:03 AM EDT
Say, at a large manufacturing facility?

I notice Allied is hiring in droves for everything from monkey to engineer, and I thought one of the HT guys worked there recently. What happened? Is it a pit still/again or what?

I recently got laid off so I'm in the market for a new job, but if possible I'd like to know what I'm potentially getting into. If you're uncomfortable posting, an IM would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]

What do you want to know?

I've worked there so long I don't know if it is any better or worse than other jobs.

They have been trying to hire like crazy though. They are hiring for more different areas than they are advertizing for also. What are you looking to do?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a CNC guy, mill mostly but it never takes me long to remember lathe stuff. I was just wondering why the sudden top to bottom hiring spree? It looks out of place with others I've seen hiring lately and that makes me a little suspicious. Not that I'm in much position to be too picky but there are other options.

I worked there back in the 90's and there is new ownership since then that I've heard grumbly rumors about since industry is such a small town around here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't work in the CNC shop, but I know several of the guys over there.

I'm not really sure what the pay is like in that area. I do know they are having a heck of a time getting anyone in there that can actually do the work.

For some reason we have been really busy for about a year and a half now. All of the different product lines have been doing really well.

If you are worth a shit, you wont have to worry about being laid off. As there will be plenty of people that wouldn't make the first cut

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure I know the ballpark of the pay scale over there...vee haff vays of findink zees tinks you know .

What can you tell me about the benefits? What health insurance carrier? What's it cost to put a family on, that kind of thing? Is it PTO or vacation/sick day based?

Are they running 5 10's? 4 10's...6.5 10's?

Arfcom is an amazing thing, you can find almost anything out here
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Benifits... Well, I have the cheapest plan. They offer two carriers, either Keizer or US Benefits. I pay about 50 bucks every two weeks.

I haven't been to the doctor in over 6 years so I don't know how good of a plan it really is. One of the guys there had to go in for cancer treatment. supposedly he only had to pay a max of 2500 bucks for everything. After that it was picked up 100 percent. My plan is $300 deductible.

One thing people don't like is that you are required to have at least the minimum plan. Group rate and whatnot.

No sick time. Vacation is one week a year, after 5 years it is 3 weeks a year.

From what I heard the CNC shop is so backed up that they could stop all new orders and still work for 3 months. They are running three shifts. I'm pretty sure they are putting in 9-10 hour days 5 days a week and 8 hours "optional" on Saturday.

I usually only put in 6 hours on Saturday. I needs my weekends

Some people complain about the place, but I don't mind it. Stressful at times. But it is what you put into it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife just told me I was wrong on the vacation time. She thinks you start out with 2 weeks.

I just know I got 3 weeks after 5 years

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info

It'll go onto my list of places to look into for sure. There's one hiring in McMinnville I'd like to find more info on, but they haven't got their name or phone number listed in any of the ads. This leads me to think I know who it is and if I'm right I would sooner gargle acid and broken glass than work there again. Ever. Total douchebaggery of the highest order with insecure managers that just love to be the biggest prick they can manage at any given time. Bleeyahhhhh

There's a couple spots over closer to I-5 I'll be hitting up starting monday also and there is one place in Hillsboro that though I have never worked there practically everyone else has and the opinion is unanimous..."it's a good place to be from".

Needs must and all, but I would rather find a good spot than a place that just makes you dread getting up in the morning. Life's too short for that shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top