Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2011 10:57:09 AM EDT
I was having lunch downtown on Friday, and when I returned to my car I had a ticket on the windshield.  "That's odd", I thought.  "I know my time hasn't expired, and I'm not illegally parked."

Turns out, the meter maid gave me a $55 ticket for not having a front license plate on my car...the same car I've been driving for seven years without one.

I have nothing against having a front plate.  It's just that my car doesn't have any place to put one, without drilling into the bumper. (I prefer not to drill into the bumper on my nice car...even thought it's seven years old.)

I had once asked a Beaverton police officer about this, and he told me that while it is technically illegal to not have one, it's not something that in-and-of itself would get you pulled over.  He said they understand that some cars don't have a place to put a front license plate, and that it's unlikley you'd ever get ticketed for it unless pulled over for something else AND you were being a jerk to the cop.  With that in mind, I never worried about it.

So, I guess it's "Smart Park" only from now on when I go into Portland.  Apparently, from what I've read on a local blog, they are getting pretty aggressive about this type of ticketing.  So, keep it in mind if you go downtown.  Personally I think it's BS that the meter maid would issue me a ticket for not having a front license plate, since it's not at all germaine to any parking issue.  Not to mention that this Portland ordinance contradicts state law, which says that a front license plate needs to be on any vehicle that is operating (not parked) on public roads.  

I'm assuming I'm SOL, and will need to pay it.  But if anyone knows a defense to this, I'm all ears...
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
They want the front plates on vehicles so they can issue tickets when going through photo ticketing devices like red light photos, speed traps and so on.  Without the front plate, they can't ticket you...Just their way of trying to force people into compliance.

It might be worth going to court and using your "Operating" defense.  Perhaps, you remove the front plate when you park so that it won't be stolen as easily...because there isn't a place to affix one to your vehicle as there is on the rear.  Of course, you would probably comply with the law when the vehicle is operating by somehow having a front plate showing....
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a trooper pull me over in my 86 Iroc after football practice one day. I didn't have a front plate and instead had it on my dash sitting towards the windshield. He pulled me over for that. I didn't get a ticket though, just a fix it order. I honestly think he wanted to race me in his Charger as my IROC would have stomped his ass!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I was having lunch downtown on Friday, and when I returned to my car I had a ticket on the windshield.  "That's odd", I thought.  "I know my time hasn't expired, and I'm not illegally parked."

Turns out, the meter maid gave me a $55 ticket for not having a front license plate on my car...the same car I've been driving for seven years without one.

I have nothing against having a front plate.  It's just that my car doesn't have any place to put one, without drilling into the bumper. (I prefer not to drill into the bumper on my nice car...even thought it's seven years old.)

I had once asked a Beaverton police officer about this, and he told me that while it is technically illegal to not have one, it's not something that in-and-of itself would get you pulled over.  He said they understand that some cars don't have a place to put a front license plate, and that it's unlikley you'd ever get ticketed for it unless pulled over for something else AND you were being a jerk to the cop.  With that in mind, I never worried about it.

So, I guess it's "Smart Park" only from now on when I go into Portland.  Apparently, from what I've read on a local blog, they are getting pretty aggressive about this type of ticketing.  So, keep it in mind if you go downtown.  Personally I think it's BS that the meter maid would issue me a ticket for not having a front license plate, since it's not at all germaine to any parking issue.  Not to mention that this Portland ordinance contradicts state law, which says that a front license plate needs to be on any vehicle that is operating (not parked) on public roads.  

I'm assuming I'm SOL, and will need to pay it.  But if anyone knows a defense to this, I'm all ears...

It is probably just a means for generating $$ so they can continue to support all the hippies and welfare addicts

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is probably just a means for generating $$ so they can continue to support all the hippies, bike lanes, public transportation and welfare addicts

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh, I did that last week and got away with it.  Whew.  And for what its worth, I got pulled over a year ago for no plate on the wife's car.  OSP pulled out in front of me, then pulled over, then got in line behind me and pulled me over.  What really bugged about that exchange, was the fact that I was pulled over on I5 when he could have pulled me prior to getting on the onramp.  Much safer to pull me over before the freeway.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a trooper pull me over in my 86 Iroc after football practice one day. I didn't have a front plate and instead had it on my dash sitting towards the windshield. He pulled me over for that. I didn't get a ticket though, just a fix it order. I honestly think he wanted to race me in his Charger as my IROC would have stomped his ass!

What did you do to the Iroc?  I used to have one (built up a bit), but stolen in '96.  I miss that car, camaros just aren't supposed to go 175mph.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did you do to the Iroc?  I used to have one (built up a bit), but stolen in '96.  I miss that car, camaros just aren't supposed to go 175mph.

It was partially a joke. I put a corvette engine LT1 I think, and a t56 bw 6 speed trans. Dual exhaust. It was sure fast!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Were you listening to Whitesnake or Queensryche at the time?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you listening to Whitesnake or Queensryche at the time?

Hahahah actually I was listening to Tesla. But I listened to many Whitesnake songs, Metallica etc in that car. My favorite was "Here I go again."

One day I will buy another Camaro and then have a restriction that if it was not made in the 70,1980's and early 90's with the genre hair ballads/power ballads in  it will not be played.

My uncle actually had a mullet and had a transam. We all give him crap about it. I am actually working on a beasty mullet right now!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Parking enforcement can ticket for a lot of things, not just parking meter violations. Got one for expired tags several years back, like you had no idea they could ticket for that stuff.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had something like 15-20 no front plate tickets....you'll live.

And, yes, you can and will get pulled over for it IF you have a nice car.

What kind of car where you driving?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]

I've gotten pulled over several times in Portland for not having a front plate in a few different cars. Usually when I put a license plate behind the windshield they didn't bother me though. I don't like running a plate in the front because it blocks my intercooler on my Evo and 300zx. First time I've head about getting a ticket for not having a front plate while parked, that is weird.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#13]
fyi,  cops are people too.  they have their OWN OPINION too.  

some may bust you for it, some wont.

put the plate in your front windshield or mount it on the bumper.

you can fight it, but how much is your time worth?  

also, fyi, smart park have their own cops that enforce parking too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My old man was a cop,  and he tried telling me not to fight a ticket once.  I went in,  won,  and lost a large chunk of the small amount or remaining respect I had for my dad.

In 2009,  I believe I obtained the record in WaCo for the most seat belt tickets handed out to one person,  and I fought each one in court.  Got pulled over 10 times,  got 6 tickets,  only had to pay for two, at a reduced penalty of $48 for both.  (Only time I had two cops on the bench next to me at once).

If I can schedule them on my day off,  my time is absolutely free.  I'm not a guy with a million things to do every day, or a wife.  I plan the rest of my day around my court dates,  and being that I work swing shift now,  I don't need to take any time off from work.

(A note for WaCo deputies,  my name is 5 letters long,  spell it right or I'll get it thrown out again)
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My old man was a cop,  and he tried telling me not to fight a ticket once.  I went in,  won,  and lost a large chunk of the small amount or remaining respect I had for my dad.

In 2009,  I believe I obtained the record in WaCo for the most seat belt tickets handed out to one person,  and I fought each one in court.  Got pulled over 10 times,  got 6 tickets,  only had to pay for two, at a reduced penalty of $48 for both.  (Only time I had two cops on the bench next to me at once).

If I can schedule them on my day off,  my time is absolutely free.  I'm not a guy with a million things to do every day, or a wife.  I plan the rest of my day around my court dates,  and being that I work swing shift now,  I don't need to take any time off from work.

(A note for WaCo deputies,  my name is 5 letters long,  spell it right or I'll get it thrown out again)

So largely you would say that it is a hobby for you to rack up these petty crimes and then get out of them? It does not to me seem like a good idea to fuck with LEOS, should you ever need their help I suspect they may just be a tad more cautious when they are running code to your location. Just saying...
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

15-20???  Dang.  That's over $1,000 worth of tickets.  I think I would just install the license plate before things got that far.  And I have to wonder if something else is going on with your driving, since being pulled over 15-20 times just for a front license plate violation seems...unlikely.  Perhaps you drive, uh, "vigorously"?

I've been driving my car (a 2004 Mercedes C230) for seven years without ever being pulled over, for anything.  And prior to that, we had a Mazda Miata for several years without a front plate.  Never got pulled over in that, either.  Basically, for 10+ years I've been driving cars without front license plates, without problem.  That's why I'm kinda surprised I got a ticket for it...and from a meter maid nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So largely you would say that it is a hobby for you to rack up these petty crimes and then get out of them? It does not to me seem like a good idea to fuck with LEOS, should you ever need their help I suspect they may just be a tad more cautious when they are running code to your location. Just saying...

Yeah, because when seconds count, an LEO is only minutes away would change to only hours away.....

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't purposely get tickets,  but I also 100% disagree with seat belt laws.  They are unconstitutional.

I'm not really one to call the cops on anybody for anything.  Only reason I ever called them here was because the insurance company required a police report when my car was hit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

(A note for WaCo deputies, my name is 5 letters long,  spell it right or I'll get it thrown out again)

Got it....6 for the first, 5 for the last.  Initials GS?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
fyi,  cops are people too.  they have their OWN OPINION too.  

some may bust you for it, some wont.

put the plate in your front windshield or mount it on the bumper.

also, fyi, smart park have their own cops that enforce parking too.

Negative.  Front plate in the front windshield, now becomes an obstructed plate.  In the county I work, no front plate is a $142 ticket, but is a fix it ticket....meaning u fix it, ticket gets dropped.....Obstructed plate is a $287 non fix it ticket.  As a side note....most guys will give warnings on these (At least most that I know), unless someone were to fail the attitude test, then I'm sure they could convince the cop to write them a ticket.  Me personally, I hate writing tickets!  I do so when a violation is dangerous or actually causes a crash, if its speeding (only 15+ over gets a stop from me) and only then becuase I can reduce the speed I write for and save people a little $$....I will however write someone a ticket if they convince me hard enough that they really really want one  I dont know why people think arguing, yelling, or insulting my intelligence or eye sight is a good idea.  The way I operate, if I believe me giving u a warning will correct bad driving, then all is well....if u argue or disagree, I kinda have no choice now, as now the u have shown they believe they did nothing wrong....I will let a judge tell u otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, because when seconds count, an LEO is only minutes away would change to only hours away.....

In any case it isn't a prudent idea to fuck with law enforcement...
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't purposely get tickets,  but I also 100% disagree with seat belt laws.  They are unconstitutional.

I'm not really one to call the cops on anybody for anything.  Only reason I ever called them here was because the insurance company required a police report when my car was hit.

If I understand your post correctly, you have gotten tickets for your license plate violation on multiple occasions and didn't fix it so it appears there is a disconnect somewhere. You may view those as bad, but would you like to be the guy who gets to scrape up body parts and brain matter off the roadway, or kill someone who you get ejected from your car and go through someone elses windshield? I've seen wrecks with people not wearing seatbelts it isn't a very fun sight at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I get the whole "unconstitutional" concept, but it seems like it comes down to numbers though.  People who wear seat belts survive way more wrecks than those who don't.  I feel like I haven't dressed myself properly if I don't buckle up.  Of course, there's always anomalies and exceptions to every rule.  For instance, it seems like a lot of drunks walk away from wrecks they cause that kill or maim other people...
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I get the whole "unconstitutional" concept, but it seems like it comes down to numbers though.  People who wear seat belts survive way more wrecks than those who don't.  I feel like I haven't dressed myself properly if I don't buckle up.  Of course, there's always anomalies and exceptions to every rule.  For instance, it seems like a lot of drunks walk away from wrecks they cause that kill or maim other people...

I have the personal assumption that they don't tense up because of reduced motor skills. I do not agree with seatbelts for over 18, if you are stupid enough to not wear one than if you get killed or ejected and cause harm to someone else it should be regarded as any other object ejected from a moving vehicle in that situation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup.  One of your Sgt's was super antsy to reach for his gun when he saw I had a CHL permit underneath my license.  Even with my CHL, Oregon license, registration, and insurance,  he still added a letter to my last name somehow.

Since you looked it up,  did I reach the record?

Quoted:
If I understand your post correctly, you have gotten tickets for your license plate violation on multiple occasions and didn't fix it so it appears there is a disconnect somewhere. You may view those as bad, but would you like to be the guy who gets to scrape up body parts and brain matter off the roadway, or kill someone who you get ejected from your car and go through someone elses windshield? I've seen wrecks with people not wearing seatbelts it isn't a very fun sight at all.

Never had a license plate violation ticket.  I got a verbal 'warning' (more like "Hey,  I know you've lived here more than 30 days,  you need to register it in Oregon") from a cop who was walking in front of my house (SMPrider should know my street well by now) for my Michigan license plate on my car.  That's as far as that went.

Quoted:

I see it as our government pecking away at freedom slowly.  If they create laws that are for our "heath and wellbeing",  we'll be banning bacon soon.  Soon we will be regulated on our diet,  and ammo purchases...

It's just like gun rights,  they peck away at our rights, and soon we have none left.  The only person who I will let whine at me about my lack of seat belt usage is my mother,  and she never wears hers either.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

15-20???  Dang.  That's over $1,000 worth of tickets.  I think I would just install the license plate before things got that far.  And I have to wonder if something else is going on with your driving, since being pulled over 15-20 times just for a front license plate violation seems...unlikely.  Perhaps you drive, uh, "vigorously"?

I've been driving my car (a 2004 Mercedes C230) for seven years without ever being pulled over, for anything.  And prior to that, we had a Mazda Miata for several years without a front plate.  Never got pulled over in that, either.  Basically, for 10+ years I've been driving cars without front license plates, without problem.  That's why I'm kinda surprised I got a ticket for it...and from a meter maid nonetheless.

Everything changes when you drive a Viper.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I think one of the big motivations for requiring seat belts and motorcycle helmets is that many citizens got tired of paying for the medical treatment of people who were not using these devices, and therefore required medical treatment....without having the insurance, or cash to pay for it themselves.

If the people who don't want to use seatbelts or helmets had plenty of insurance to pay for all the medical treatment they or any of their passengers need, I would probably say "knock yourself out" (pun intended).  But I object to the rest of the public having to pick up the tab for the stupidity of those who are uninsured/underinsured/don't have the money to pay their own way, just because they want to howl about their "rights" or "freedom" to not use seatbelts or helmets.  

If they want to say it is their right to die by the roadside and not be assisted by anyone they haven't paid for, I might reconsider my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think one of the big motivations for requiring seat belts and motorcycle helmets is that many citizens got tired of paying for the medical treatment of people who were not using these devices, and therefore required medical treatment....without having the insurance, or cash to pay for it themselves.

If the people who don't want to use seatbelts or helmets had plenty of insurance to pay for all the medical treatment they or any of their passengers need, I would probably say "knock yourself out" (pun intended).  But I object to the rest of the public having to pick up the tab for the stupidity of those who are uninsured/underinsured/don't have the money to pay their own way, just because they want to howl about their "rights" or "freedom" to not use seatbelts or helmets.  

If they want to say it is their right to die by the roadside and not be assisted by anyone they haven't paid for, I might reconsider my opinion.

Winnner!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've gotten pulled over several times in Portland for not having a front plate in a few different cars. Usually when I put a license plate behind the windshield they didn't bother me though. I don't like running a plate in the front because it blocks my intercooler on my Evo and 300zx. First time I've head about getting a ticket for not having a front plate while parked, that is weird.

Still illegal and when you get in an accident the plate will fly up and cut your head off...

Either run one or don't....don't half ass it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHA...no, I think I've gotten one speeding ticket ever (on Xmas day too).

I've owned many "show cars" or heavily modified cars....and when I was younger got pulled over weekly.  In high school, daily.  

I think by the age of 23 I had something like 65 tickets.  I fight every single one as they are for things like tint, stereo, fender flares, fog lights...I've witnessed every type of bad, stereotypical cop imaginable.  Young guy with a nice car....must be a criminal!  My favorite was when I was legally parked and got an "impeding traffic ticket". Went to PDX court, of course the cop didn't show, the judge refussed to throw it out.  Came back to court, cop didn't show again, I brought the statute showing how the ticket should have been dismissed the first time and the judge said "Get the HELL out of my court room!" and dismissed the ticket.

Also stay out of Corvallis if you don't want a ticket!

All depends on the car...my Acura NSX I got pulled over a lot too, my Dodge Viper, never.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1

i call motorcycle riders "living organ donars".

one of my HS friends needed a kidney transplant.  the doctor mentioned "living organ donars" will eventually give one soon.  sure enough some motorcycle person bid the dust and my friend got the kidney he was needing.

also, i just love the saying..."the tree of life is self pruning".
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+1.  The people who scream "I have a RIGHT not to use my seatbelt", forget that the tax-paying public often winds up bearing the expense of them exercising their "rights".  

I have no problem with people not wearing their seat belts, if they agree to sign a waiver declaring that they will not be eligible for a Social Security Disability check or any other form of public assistance if injured because they didn't wear a seat belt.  Then we can just let Darwinism take over from there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

+1.  The people who scream "I have a RIGHT not to use my seatbelt", forget that the tax-paying public often winds up bearing the expense of them exercising their "rights".  

I have no problem with people not wearing their seat belts, if they agree to sign a waiver declaring that they will not be eligible for a Social Security Disability check or any other form of public assistance if injured because they didn't wear a seat belt.  Then we can just let Darwinism take over from there.

Does this also mean that I can opt out of social security/medicare/medicaid/etc?  If so, sign me up!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  One of your Sgt's was super antsy to reach for his gun when he saw I had a CHL permit underneath my license.  Even with my CHL, Oregon license, registration, and insurance,  he still added a letter to my last name somehow.

Since you looked it up,  did I reach the record?

I doubt it....but yer DMV record will only show covictions

PM me what Sgt.  I have my suspicions by yer description.  We have a few guys that seem to think CHL holder=Gun toting nut job.  I know of one Deputy who makes it a point to disarm CHL holders while on a traffic stop with them.  I absolutely dont agree with this method, and have tried to explain what "Officer safety" really means when that is what he cites for his reasoning.

Now I'm not gonna automatically lower my guard because someone has a CHL....I have arrested plenty who did for various crimes, including domestic assaults and DUII's.  But as a general rule of thumb, the guy with the CHL isn't a threat when he tells me he's got one, its the guy who doesnt have a CHL and doesnt tell me he's got a gun  Maybe its because I work in rural Washington County and alot of the folks I encounter are armed.....some even WAY more than me, and with evil silencers *Cough* Benji *Cough*
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had this argument before, and although I see the point that it is an "Infringement" on your rights.  As plenty have stated, the cost gets trickled down to the tax payers.  Also, medical bills and social security disability aside, fatal crashes close highways for long periods of times while the police have to investigate the crash.  So even if the person dies, the tax payers ultimately pay the price when they have to wait hours to get home, becuase the road is shut down, or they have to wade thru traffic that has been diverted onto surface streets.  Bottom line, seat belts DO save lives....I have been to enough crashes where one most likely would have saved a life, but did not, becuase it was not in use!  Including a drunk (I know weird, they never die) who got launched about 50 feet, out his window and from his vehicle during a roll over.  Truck sustained minimal damage, so I am highly confident he woulda been alive had he been wearing his belt.  

I always find it odd that we have this argument on a firearms board.  We own and carry guns for our personal protection....but choose not to wear a seat belt while driving?  Seems more likely u will get in a crash than fend off an armed attacker  Don't worry, I have had this argument with guys at work, who cite their reason for not wearing one, unless running code, is so they can get outta their car quickly in case they get ambushed.  I remind them as well that we are much more likely to be killed in a crash, than ambushed or attacked in our cars.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

PM me what Sgt.  I have my suspicions by yer description.  We have a few guys that seem to think CHL holder=Gun toting nut job.  I know of one Deputy who makes it a point to disarm CHL holders while on a traffic stop with them.  I absolutely dont agree with this method, and have tried to explain what "Officer safety" really means when that is what he cites for his reasoning.

Now I'm not gonna automatically lower my guard because someone has a CHL....I have arrested plenty who did for various crimes, including domestic assaults and DUII's.  But as a general rule of thumb, the guy with the CHL isn't a threat when he tells me he's got one, its the guy who doesnt have a CHL and doesnt tell me he's got a gun  Maybe its because I work in rural Washington County and alot of the folks I encounter are armed.....some even WAY more than me, and with evil silencers *Cough* Benji *Cough*

Damn,  I was only "convicted" of two I think.  I was kind of hoping I held a record or something.

The Sgt's name was very Italian,  but I couldn't even begin to spell it.  There is a woman with the same last name working for the Beaverton PD pretty high up the ranks,  but not sure if there is a relation.

At the time of the stop,  I didn't have my gun on me,  so I didn't even think it was an issue.  (Just got off work when I used to work for a company that was anti gun,  and my car was parked on a public street,  so bringing it to work was just tricky)
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn,  I was only "convicted" of two I think.  I was kind of hoping I held a record or something.

The Sgt's name was very Italian,  but I couldn't even begin to spell it.  There is a woman with the same last name working for the Beaverton PD pretty high up the ranks,  but not sure if there is a relation.

At the time of the stop,  I didn't have my gun on me,  so I didn't even think it was an issue.  (Just got off work when I used to work for a company that was anti gun,  and my car was parked on a public street,  so bringing it to work was just tricky)

How long ago and about what time of day/night?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I am pure evil.  That's basically the first thing people think when they get to know me...  
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How long ago and about what time of day/night?

I would put the time frame between 3-5pm.  It was summer time (I think it was one of those 95°+ days),  so July/August 2009.  I'd have to dig through my records to find an actual date/time.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I got into a head on collision with a wonderful Pontiac GTO hitting my Volkswagen squareback when I was about 17-18 years old.  I was wearing my seatbelt, and although the drunk in the GTO hit my right front fender hard enough to fold it up BEHIND the right front wheel, I walked away shaken, but without a scratch.  A great looking gal picked me up and gave me ride home....to her place for a couple of days, but that is another story.

Ever since then I wear seat belts religiously...even in parking lots.  The car doesn't move without me belted in nice and tight.   Until the seat belt clicks, I feel as nervous as a whore in church...like I'm walking around in a crowd without any pants on.  I just can't drive without a seat belt any more.

The analogy about seat belts, guns and fire extinguishers is true.  Add life jackets in boats and other items to the list.  Although I buckle my seat belt, keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, carry a gun, and wear life jackets on the water, I hope I never have to use any of 'em.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winnner!

Public tired of paying for medical treatment for non-seatbelt wearing, non-insured is why we have the seatbelt law????

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#43]
On the subject of plate theft,  when I flew home to Detroit a couple months ago,  I noticed something interesting on many of the plates there.  A lock device.

From studying the lock,  it's not 100% foolproof,  but it would send plate thieves to another car right away.

Why aren't these things common out here?  We have a ton of Mexicans stealing plates off of cars around the corner.  I'm assuming since they can't get an ID anymore,  they also can't get plates or tags either...

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On the subject of plate theft,  when I flew home to Detroit a couple months ago,  I noticed something interesting on many of the plates there.  A lock device.

From studying the lock,  it's not 100% foolproof,  but it would send plate thieves to another car right away.

Why aren't these things common out here?  We have a ton of Mexicans stealing plates off of cars around the corner.  I'm assuming since they can't get an ID anymore,  they also can't get plates or tags either...

A while back Sportsmans Guide was selling a dozen or so misc. "Dead" plates from various states....I always figured that would be a great way for car thieves to get away with switching plates.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]
In Oregon you must have a front plate.  That's the law.  The plate in the window thing isn't legal.  It is obstructed and I also believe it is too high.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I know a few BMW gus that get them all the time.
Some have made removable plates for parking in DT,

I have not had a front plate on any of my cars in over 10 years. Up until my most recent car I got pulled over once by an OSP trooper who just wanted to make sure I had it and gave me a warning.  Now in my current car, which is a BMW, it has become a regular occurrence so now I have a screw in license plate holder that goes into the space that is on the bumper for a tow hook. I get a fix it ticket, the plate goes back on and I drop by court to show them I put the plate on and the ticket gets dropped.

On the CHL issue about three weeks ago, I come around a corner on a state highway doing 70 in a 55 and see my detector light up as I was getting hit with a laser, I get pulled over and as soon as this OSP trooper walks up to the car I announce my CHL and handgun and in the end he gives me a warning. My handgun was never an issue but he did want me to keep my hands on the steering wheel which I understand. I totally expected to walk away with a ticket as most of the troopers I have talked to do not give warnings.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I know a few BMW gus that get them all the time.
Some have made removable plates for parking in DT,

I have not had a front plate on any of my cars in over 10 years. Up until my most recent car I got pulled over once by an OSP trooper who just wanted to make sure I had it and gave me a warning.  Now in my current car, which is a BMW, it has become a regular occurrence so now I have a screw in license plate holder that goes into the space that is on the bumper for a tow hook. I get a fix it ticket, the plate goes back on and I drop by court to show them I put the plate on and the ticket gets dropped.

On the CHL issue about three weeks ago, I come around a corner on a state highway doing 70 in a 55 and see my detector light up as I was getting hit with a laser, I get pulled over and as soon as this OSP trooper walks up to the car I announce my CHL and handgun and in the end he gives me a warning. My handgun was never an issue but he did want me to keep my hands on the steering wheel which I understand. I totally expected to walk away with a ticket as most of the troopers I have talked to do not give warnings.

That seems kind of lame.  Why don't you just follow the law?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top