Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 12:28:25 PM EDT
I have a tree that is on the neighbor's property that has branches touching my roof. I'm on crutches right now or I'd just go buy a chainsaw and start hacking it up. Anyone do this type of work and know how to do it without damaging my roof or gutter or the fence dividing the property? It's a one level house and the branches I'm most concerned with aren't very tall.

I plan on talking to the neighbor and seeing if they will pay part of the service fee to have it trimmed up properly at the branch shoulders but I'd like to find someone with my roof and the fence's best interest in mind. I'm afraid if I just ask them to do it they might have the kids that I think live there start cutting and letting the branches fall and do their damage. If the neighbor does not agree to split the costs I'm just going to have someone start cutting as high as they can along the property line.

I also have a couple trees I might have removed (stump grinding may be involved on a small <2" remnant of a couple trees) if the price for the big tree trimming isn't too great. One tree I have no idea what it is but it looks dead and is about 12' high or less. It has a lot of seed pods and it must not be completely dead because the bitch has no problem with producing dozens of saplings between every mow.

Any advice or offers are welcome. If you do this type of work please don't talk about any costs in this thread. You can IM me or use the email button here to discuss specifics. I don't want anyone to get chastised for doing any business outside the E/E. This is a problem though and I don't want to have to get a new roof any time soon.

thanks
Jim
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple friends that are arborists.  Although one just broke his leg, and has a couple more weeks before he's back in the saddle again.  The other guy is gonna be coming out to my house to tear down a couple trees and, if i can talk him into it, take care of a couple trees in the neighbors yard.  I will call him tonight and see if its cool with him if i forward his info on to you.  Dont want to burn bridges or anything.  I did however manage to take a bunch of branches off my self with a chainsaw on a stick.  Did pretty good, only had 1 branch whack the house, although I dont have any gutters on that particular side.  And if all else fails, tannerite.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a couple friends that are arborists.  Although one just broke his leg, and has a couple more weeks before he's back in the saddle again.  The other guy is gonna be coming out to my house to tear down a couple trees and, if i can talk him into it, take care of a couple trees in the neighbors yard.  I will call him tonight and see if its cool with him if i forward his info on to you.  Dont want to burn bridges or anything.  I did however manage to take a bunch of branches off my self with a chainsaw on a stick.  Did pretty good, only had 1 branch whack the house, although I dont have any gutters on that particular side.  And if all else fails, tannerite.

Definitely get me contact info if he might be interested in some more work.

I know I could do it myself but it wouldn't be pretty and with only being able to put 50% of my weight on my right leg I'm just not sure I could move out of the way when the branches come down. My safety is almost as important as my roof.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
called him last night, no reponse as of yet.  But he did say that he was pretty booked up for the next 2 weeks, so maybe he hit the sack early.  hopefully i will be able to get a hold of him soon.  I really am not in the mood to rake a bunch of leaves in a month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top